Forums Latest Members
  1. xgeryx Feb 4, 2017

Hello guys,

I've been offered a Seamaster 2531.80 for my Tag Heuer 844/3 diver.

The watch has some cosmetic issues though. Actually the bezel is a bit scratched worn and there's a pinpoint scratch on the crystal.

I'd like to know how complicated to swap the bezel on these models. Is it something I can easily do or watchmaker expertise is required?

Also, do you think such scratch in sapphire crystals can be polished out, with polywatch for example?

If fixing these aesthetics would not cost too much time & money I might be inclined to make the deal.

Thanks for your help. IMG_3312.JPG

Here is a photo of the watch.

2. WatchVaultNYC Feb 4, 2017

You'll want to swap the entire bezel, not just the insert. You can do it yourself with a $20 rubber bezel remover. Removing scratches on sapphire requires a watchmaker for most people.

3. xgeryx Feb 4, 2017

Thanks for your quick reply. Does it really necessary to swap the whole thing? It looks like the scratches are only on the insert.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 4, 2017

Omega does not sell just the insert. If you want a genuine replacement, swapping the entire bezel is the only way to get a new one.

On the open market you will pay a premium for one, so I would recommend you take the watch to a watchmaker with an Omega parts account who can purchase the bezel from Omega, and who has the tools to replace it. Removing the bezel improperly can damage both the bezel and the case.

For the crystal, depending on how deep the scratch is, it can take a great deal of time to polish out. Polywatch is meant for acrylic crystals - for sapphire you need various grits of diamonds paste, and a lot of time. If you do it yourself it might be worth it, but honestly the time I would have to charge for removing a deep scratch would probably exceed the price of a new crystal.

Cheers, Al

robinhook and xgeryx like this.
  5. xgeryx Feb 4, 2017

Thanks, it's quite clear now. I'll check with my watchmaker then, ask for a quote and decide after that. It might not worth it. I want to flip it later anyway.