Forums Latest Members

Bezel numeral(s) re-paint?

1. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Feb 24, 2016

Howdy, folks...

Is it possible to have the wearing blue numerals professionally re-painted the original blue on my Longines Hour Angle re-edition? If so, who would you recommend? Over the past 20 years of owning this watch (I purchased it new in 1996 from a Longines AD) the blue numeral paint has been gradually wearing off exposing the black numeral paint underneath (see pic below).

Also, I purchased a replacement Longines bezel about a year ago but when I sent my Hour Angle re-edition to Parsec for servicing last summer, they were unable to install the replacement bezel due to fitment issues...so they re-installed the original worn bezel.

Regardless, I was curious as to the re-painting possibilities of the bezel...it sort of bugs me seeing worn blue numerals...I remember when I first purchased the watch new in 1996 and how attractive the blue numerals appeared.

Thanks for reading and any advice is appreciated,

Mad Dog (Collin)

image.jpeg

2. abrod520 Feb 24, 2016

I get how the fading paint might bug you, but personally I like the way it looks - it's acquiring a nice patina over the years you've worn it. Especially since you bought it new - if I were in your position, I'd wear it proudly!

RawArcher and Mad Dog like this.
  3. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Feb 24, 2016

It is called patina and Rolex collectors pay premium for it (I would not call it idiotic but it is not far...)
    On a more personal note I would recommend you to leave it exactly as is. You have had the watch since new. It is used but not abused. Ask your children if they want it to show your wear the day they get it or if they want it to look as new?

STANDY and Mad Dog like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 24, 2016

Easily done - get some model paint and fill in the numbers, let dry, and wipe off excess gently. Biggest difficulty is matching the paint colour. Black is easy - here is my old Bulova Snorkel before repainting the numbers:

[​IMG]

And after:

[​IMG]

I have repainted more Doxa bezel numbers orange than you can shake a stick at...it's really not difficult to do.

Cheers, Al

5. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Feb 24, 2016

Thanks, Al...I understand what you're saying...but the large numerals on the bezel of my Hour Angle do not appear to be recessed (the small numerals DO appear to be recessed, however). It appears that both the blue paint and the black paint (large numerals) on the bezel sit on a flat surface...at least that's the way it looked to me under 10X magnification at various light angles.

6. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Feb 24, 2016

What would Colonel Charles Lindbergh do? :D

7. Canuck Feb 24, 2016

I had the same problem with my 26-year old Apollo 11 commemorative Speedmaster. I have shown before and after shots. Your Longines bezel is a bit busier, so patience might be required. I used Testor's enamel paint that I bought from a hobby store. As Archer states, apply it, let it dry, then wipe the excess off the high spots. Rather than to have blue paint spill over into a black index, you might want to do a few blue numerals at a time. Before you paint a numeral, it would be smart to use a round tooth pick with a sharp point to remove any of the original paint that has started to peel. (Apropos of your being a pilot. When I typed excess, my spell checker replaced the word with Cessna!)

image.jpeg image.jpeg

fskywalker, bristnj and Mad Dog like this.
  8. Canuck Feb 24, 2016

Looking at that bezel magnified, I am almost certain those blue numeral were engraved. Why not experiment with the worst of the blue numerals and a toothpick, just to make certain?

Mad Dog likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 25, 2016

So after you posted this watch in WRUW I took a closer look at it, and was like WTF on the outer bezel and remembered this thread... Amazing looking watch, the person looking over my shoulder was intrigued and asked me to explain how it worked. Scratched my head overnight trying to figure it out, then just read this https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/t...ehind-the-lindbergh-longines-hour-angle-watch

Pretty neat, and the one time a sidereal complication actually would have relevance!

Mad Dog and GregH like this.
  10. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 25, 2016

Well, you could try dipping it in blue coffee.
    Seriously, look at it another way. The numbers now have
    a "shadow", making them appear 3D. Which is kinda cool, no?

11. GregH Feb 25, 2016

Mad Dog likes this.
  12. dialstatic Feb 26, 2016

Yes, terrific article indeed!

My advice regarding the watch: don't touch it. Well, you can touch it of course, just don't redo the paint. It looks cool this way and I bet you'll come to regret your DIY fix.

Mad Dog likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 26, 2016

I have to say they certainly look recessed to me, but if not that is quite the paint job to give that effect. Also that would be a really bad idea as of course they would wear off in no time if not recessed...

I do believe they are recessed, so first you should take another look. Second if they are recessed, are you sure it's paint wearing off, and not dirt collecting in the recesses? I have had some come in so packed with dirt that you would have thought the numbers were black, when they were another colour underneath...

Cheers, Al

Mad Dog likes this.
  14. 1685 Feb 26, 2016

@Mad Dog you strike me as an old school dude, please step away from the model paint and enjoy the elegant aging of the bezel, and ummm rock on and land safe. Cheers

Mad Dog likes this.
  15. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Mar 1, 2016

After thinking this over based on the previous input(s)...many thanks for the input(s)...I've decided to do nothing and leave the bezel alone. I would surely mess it up...just like I did back in the late '60's early '70's when I would attempt to paint my fighter aircraft models for playground dogfights at school. My aircraft looked like total dog poo...BUT they NEVER lost a dogfight! :thumbsup:

ahartfie, flyingout and patrick1616 like this.
  16. trama Mar 1, 2016

No doubt due to the superior weaponry sounds you could generate...longest sustained machine gun fire for example...

Beautiful watch!

Mad Dog likes this.