Forums Latest Members

Beware! Achtung! Attention! Forsigtig! Atención!

1. Longbow Jan 7, 2017

Well it doesn’t seem to have taken the scum bags long to rustle up a pretty convincing fake of the Omega Globemaster. This particular effort would likely fool many, perhaps even some of the more experienced members here…that don’t currently own a Globemaster, i.e. wouldn’t necessarily know what to look out for.

So, in the interests of protecting OF members who are maybe thinking about picking up a cheap GM on the gay market I propose a little competition to find the tell-tale points that distinguish the fake from the real Globemaster.

Let’s start by watching a video of a nice looking “Omega Globemaster”...

Before you cross-check with my list of mistakes* (particularly if you do not currently own a real Globemaster) try to make your own list of potential problems with this fake.

Good hunting and stay safe!

* I will post my list tomorrow. @meganfox17 gets a copy today to ensure I don't cheat ;)

Riviera Paradise and Spacefruit like this.
  2. meganfox17 Jan 7, 2017

3. cvrle1 Jan 7, 2017

That was a really good U2 album

4. w.finkenstaedt Jan 7, 2017

Not convincing at all. Anyone that's seen the kit that new Omegas come with won't be fooled for even a microsecond.

We'll just leave it with this: Omega's oscillating weights aren't that loose, and the accessories look like they're from the 90s, not 2016. Also, where's the Master Chronometer card? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longbow likes this.
  5. foxglove Jan 7, 2017

lots of things wrong with that

6. ConElPueblo Jan 7, 2017

I have reported the video...

Longbow and Riviera Paradise like this.
  7. korenje Jan 7, 2017

not the right balance wheel so no worries there.

Longbow likes this.
  8. Longbow Jan 7, 2017

But I thing Depeche Mode's "Wrong" would have been a better backing track to the video.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  9. Riviera Paradise Jan 7, 2017

@Longbow good post. Thx for sharing.

I agree with the other posts that this is a poor replica attempt. Even someone with poor vision should not be fooled by this one, as least if they have a minimum knowledge of how the watch should function: crown in position two you have a quick date set instead of the jumping hour increment::facepalm2:: and you can't even hack the seconds in position three to set the minutes hand:eek:

I don't own any Metas certified watches yet...@Longbow did you register your e-mail address or something similar in order to consult online your specific watch test results? Do you think the Metas test certificate registration process could help in combating replica watches?
    I imagine Omega would probably have a system to warn if there have been multiple registration attempts for a given Metas #ID, right?

Longbow and C4L18R3 like this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 7, 2017

They have markets. :eek:

11. Longbow Jan 8, 2017

::facepalm2:: I didn't spot that typo....serves me right for using British English and autocorrect.:D

Riviera Paradise and STANDY like this.
  12. Longbow Jan 8, 2017

Well spotted! But there are quite a few more mistakes in there.

Yes I did register on My Omega (or whatever it's called), then I was able to add the GM to my watches, where there is an extra option for this model to access the METAS test data.

I don't think METAS registration will have any impact on the manufacture and sale of fakes, but it will piss a few "customers" off that thought they had purchased a bargain outside the OB/AD network.

13. Longbow Jan 8, 2017

Here is my list of observations (you might want to play that Depeche Mode tune in the background now):-
    1) Missing serial number on rear of case, normally located just above lower right lug.
    1 Missing serial number.jpg

2) “Constellation” text is too high on the rear case back ring. In the fake it is approximately in the middle. On a real GM the top of the last “n” will be approximately in the middle of this ring, i.e. the main text is below the centre line.
    2 Constellation text .jpg

3) Screw-down crown. This is funny, as this was a feature that I actually wanted on my GM, but no, a real GM does not have a screw-down crown.
    3 Screw-down crown.jpg

4) This fake does not have a quickset hour hand. At the second pulled out crown position we can see the presenter counter-clockwise rotating the crown to quickset the date. Date quickset on the GM is via hour quickset. There is no independent date quickset on the real deal. At 2:27 we see the crown fully pulled for time adjustment, but the movement keeps running; this fake does not hack the seconds.

5) Take a close look at that movement (at time 3:00 into the video). The centre line of the rotor approximately bisects the caseback screws at the 11 and 5 o’clock positions. With the rotor in this orientation you can only see one of the two barrels in the fake. On a real GM you will be able to clearly see both barrels. Also at this rotor orientation you can see what looks like the movement serial number at the 4 o’clock position. On a real GM the movement serial number will be almost completely covered; you might just be able to see the last digit of the serial number. This fake has at best an incorrectly oriented movement w.r.t. the case, but there are other points of difference too.
    5 movement.jpg

6) Wrong warranty card, missing METAS card, wrong pictogram card, wrong box….
    6 METAS card.jpg
    6 Pictograms.jpg
    6 Warranty card.jpg
    6 Wallet.jpg

7) Correct text missing from the rear of the leather strap (both sides)
    7 strap.jpg

8) “OMEGA” text on inside of deployant clasp is too fat, with too small a gap between the characters. Logo on outside of clasp is also wrong.
    8 clasp logo.jpg

8 clasp logo outer.jpg

9) The serial number on the card is wrong. I believe that all Globemasters start with 87xxxxxx. @meganfox17, can confirm this from her GM. The Annual Calendar that I reviewed recently also had an 87xxxxxx serial number.

10) as for the box, well
    What box.jpg
    What box inside.jpg
    What box inside Card.jpg

Nice try. FAIL.

7 strap.jpg
    Mad Dog, Spacefruit, Lonestar and 6 others like this.
  14. bgrisso Jan 8, 2017

I'm not sure these posts are as much help to the right people as they are to the wrong people.

Lonestar likes this.
  15. flw history nerd Jan 8, 2017

It doesn't look like the second hand is hackable, either ... I assume that it is on the real thing

Longbow likes this.
  16. Longbow Jan 8, 2017

You may be right.

The real message is that Omega's official prices are well above the grey market prices which makes discount hunting outside the official dealer network and hence risk taking more appealing. The fakes will get much better (with or without any pictures from me), so you need to be extra cautious if you go down that route. You can check all the photos and videos you want online, but only owning the real thing and looking at it (almost) every day will give you the feel for when something subtle is off.

17. korenje Jan 8, 2017

just look for the balance wheel. it needs to be black and it needs to have screws in it.

18. meganfox17 Jan 8, 2017

Thank You for enlightening all of Us Nick although it's obvious some readers seem to know better than the both of us( & the owners themselves) I'm constantly leaning new stuff & refining my knowledge on the GM so I really appreciate the hard work you put in.

It is through repetition, practice & constant awareness of the subtle differences between a fake & a genuine that makes 0ne Master of his trade.

Next time take the higher ground , throw in Red Herrings ,post a GM in an uncontrolled environment then ask OF readers their thoughts on whether its a fake or a genuine example.
    This One was very basic , you were unselfish gracious & gave readers the answers even before you posted the photos so the element of surprise is lost.
    Someday , some0ne is going to post questions on the authenticity of a GM MC & that's when the real fun begins...

19. jzzmusician Jan 9, 2017

Thank you for posting this. I'm a complete novice when trying to figure out what's real and what's not. These kind of posts are very helpful.

--Bob

20. Longbow Jan 9, 2017

Correct.