Forums Latest Members

Better To Let A Watch Run And Run Out of Power?

1. b-16707 Dec 29, 2013

so im considering buying a used omega (maybe a 2503.80) but since ive never actually owned one, i have concerns on longevity (and since a 2503.80 would be around 10 years old). i dont exactly have the disposable income to be a watch collector or buy a new one everytime one fails.

my question is would it be better for the internals to keep one of these automatic watches wound up in a watch winder or let it sit and run out of power (therefore having to restart it everytime i want to wear it)? logically, i would assume letting it die would be the best option as its less wear and tear on the insides?

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 29, 2013

I guess it depends a bit on how much you wear it, compared to how much you plan to let it sit idle. The watch will have about a 48 hour power reserve, so assuming it's fully wound when you take it off, it's going to run for another 2 days after that anyway. So to let it sit idle and have it stop, you would have to be wearing it only every 3rd day or more.

If you choose to let it stop and wind each time you plan to wear it, then there will be less wear on the wheel train and automatic winding system. but then you have to wind it and set it each time, so there will be wear on the crown, case tube, cannon pinion, and quick set date mechanism.

So it's not exactly as black and white as it seems.

But I think your general premise that the watch has to be replaced when it fails is a bit off. Watches can be serviced and should be about every 5 years or so for a modern watch (depending on your own personal service philosophy), so any issues would be resolved then.

I am a watchmaker, and I use a winder for some of the watches, but mostly those that do not have quick set dates.

Cheers, Al

b-16707 and Spy like this.
  3. ulackfocus Dec 29, 2013

As an owner of 50+ watches and only one 4 head winder, I only keep the watches I wear frequently on the winder. Also, any calendar or moon phase watches go on it too since they're a pain in the a::censored:: to set. Otherwise, I wind and set as I use them. If it has moving parts, there's going to be wear & tear eventually so just keep up on the service and you'll have less to worry about.

Spy likes this.
  4. b-16707 Dec 29, 2013

some great advice here, thanks for taking the time to help a newbie understand this! appreciate it.

for me i would probably be wearing it rarely. maybe once or twice a month as it will be my formal watch and not an everyday watch.
    30 second it takes me to wind it back up to the right time or the constant 24hr movement in a watch winder?

but the question of servicing is one i need to consider too (and another $ point).

5. b-16707 Dec 29, 2013

looks like this is a hotly debated topic over at watchuseek. might have to formulate my own opinion on this with the insight of you seasoned veterans.

6. ulackfocus Dec 29, 2013

EVERYTHING is a hotly debated topic on WUS. :rolleyes:

Omega Forums = quality
    Watchuseek = quantity

7. b-16707 Dec 29, 2013

haha, i knew someone would have an opinion about WUS here =). good stuff.
    anyways....i did have a hunch that OF was a more quality forum.

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 30, 2013

To be a moderator here you have to have been banned from WUS ;)

Northernman and Privateday7 like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 30, 2013

If you are wearing it that infrequently, just let it run down.

Cheers, Al

b-16707 likes this.
  10. b-16707 Dec 30, 2013

thanks archer!

11. Spy You know my name. Dec 30, 2013

OMEGA Forums = Respectful, intelligent, fun, informative discussion
    WUS = Mass banning, boring frivolous talk, self-righteous weirdos

12. Spy You know my name. Dec 30, 2013

In that case, that would be a lot of moderators. :p

13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 30, 2013

Even the thread-jacking is high quality:D

cicindela, Daniel B and Tritium like this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 30, 2013

I don't disagree entirely with this characterization, but some of us still do post over there, so not all the content is bad. ;)

I will give WUS credit for being much more lenient than some other forums that are big businesses. In my experience, most big forum owners seeing anyone who is connected to the business as a constant shill, and a threat somehow to their profits - TZ comes to mind as that sort of place. WUS is not so much, so I still participate there, even if a lot of my time is spent dispelling myths...

15. ulackfocus Dec 30, 2013

Wasn't there a line in a Muppet movie like that? :D

16. Spy You know my name. Dec 30, 2013

I was banned. My beef is still raw.

17. ulackfocus Dec 30, 2013

The list of moderators and members that were banned from WUS is long and distinguished. :D

18. Spy You know my name. Dec 30, 2013

I propose a Hall of Fame for all of us that racked up 2 or more bans. :p

19. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 31, 2013

Well all I can say is WUS must have mellowed.
    this forum and WUS are the only two internet fora that I have not been banned from.
    i better step up my game.

in seriousness I do agree WUS is not bad, compared to the more commercial fora.