Forums Latest Members
  1. Bobs citizens Feb 3, 2014

Greetings everyone!

Been a long time since I posted here, but for past couple days been reading post on fake watches on eBay trying to educate myself.

i plan on adding to my collection of one lol ( see below ) and picking up a Seamaster manual wind from the 60's. Been window shopping on the "bay" and after reading these post, it's rather scary! I am probably one of the few who doesn't mind redial as long as it is well done. I do not envision making money on these watches, but rather enjoying using them for daily wear.

i just wonder if it is better to buy from a established watch maker and perhaps pay a bit more rather then taking a chance on the "bay"?

My 1974 Geneve

image.jpg

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 3, 2014

You may not mind a redial now, but I promise you will in a short period.

There is nothing wrong with buying from watchmakers/bricks and motar stores - except you will pay much more than on ebay. And some bricks and mortar stores are likely to over polish significantly to get the "oooh shiny" dollar.

3. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 3, 2014

Respectable Member CanberraOmega

I share your opinion, regarding a redial vintage-watch. It is going to be a short-lived relationship between an owner and his watch unless of course, the vintage-watch is uber-rare and only one of its kind available (not a Ukraine 'gem', though), world-wide.

Thank you.

4. ulackfocus Feb 3, 2014

I've gotten some really nice watches from watchmakers. You have to trust their reputation, just like any other seller. If you know one that's sympathetic to vintage and won't ruin the case on the polishing wheel, you might score a nice watch. Some people still sell their old watches at watch shops.

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 3, 2014

Whatever the source you closely examine the watch yourself - either via high resolution focused pictures or in person. At this point, unless you know the seller from past dealings you take anything said with a grain of salt.

JohnSteed and SpikiSpikester like this.
  6. alam Feb 3, 2014

Disagree. No one can make such promise or guarantee to anyone. Perhaps most of us around here fall in the hard core purists category, but that doesnt mean that everyone is or will turn into one. If the OP is content with how the watch looks and performs and meets his expectations-as he already states his desires are, then so be. Again, he may or may not dislike redials later on. The universal advise is to wear what you really enjoy, just make sure you are paying accordingly.

X350 XJR likes this.
  7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 3, 2014

I will say though that if you register as a member here and hang around this forum long enough, CanberraOmega will likely be proven right.

8. alam Feb 3, 2014

Maybe, maybe not. We see well done redials here owned by some of our most purist members-and they are happy. My points are that not all redials are created equal, and no member here is guarantee to turn into a basher of a well done redials.

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 3, 2014

I predict this is the wave of the future. Original dials in good condition will always command a premium, but it's only a matter of time and increasing demand and prices for well done redials to come into their own. I've heard you Omega guys talk about a Vietnamese redialer who does a good job, and I know of a Hungarian one who is very accomplished. The product of the latter already commands very good prices, and although he regrettably does not make clear they are redials, I doubt that collectors are unaware (and his pieces are definitely those that would appeal to the collector market, rather than the vintage watch dabbler market). I've seen a few pieces I wouldn't balk at.

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 3, 2014

Possible but will only work if the case and movement are in excellent condition and most of the time they aren't if the dial is fouled up enough to need a redial.

LouS likes this.
  11. ulackfocus Feb 3, 2014

I have no problem with an accurately refinished dial. Obviously they aren't as valuable to the hard core purist, but if identical to the original and specified in the description I have no problem a redial.

The issue is with Omega - very, very few have the fonts correct. I've recently seen some really good Longines work. Not quite perfect, but once a detail or two is worked out they will be.

If you're buying for a daily driver, then get what you like. If it's a collection piece though, it should be 100% original and as close to mint as possible.

There's an exception - water incursion. We've all seen those watches with crisp edges and all original parts, yet the dial has bubbles and stains because moisture got inside. Water resistance wasn't such a great priority back then.

12. dantaspaulo Feb 3, 2014

Personal experience: bought my first vintage roughly 10 months ago, knowing it was a redial. It only lasted three weeks -- I simply had to get rid of it. The thought of having something that had been messed up with and was no longer original (original as in no longer being as it was when it left the factory but for parts that have to be replaced due to regular wear) was simply haunting me. Once you start visiting the WRUW section on a regular basis you simply want something that is original. But that's just my 2c. :)

13. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 3, 2014

Never buy a redial !!!

You may be happy until the day you sit beside a guy who wears the same watch with original dial.

14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 3, 2014

We are OmegaForums. You have been assimilated. :D

I had the same change in perspective, about the same period of time into my vintage collecting. It's only now that I am getting perverse and minding minor parts substitutions less on some of the truly rare pieces, and contemplating good quality redials. There's even a hobby within a hobby there - I've had fun over the years 'frankening' a piece or three back to 'original' condition. ::screwloose:: The trick is to discount appropriately for those things - they are certainly not to be paid for like the originals.

Feel free to set the angry villagers on me.

15. ulackfocus Feb 3, 2014

Make that 'correct' instead of 'original'. ;) I kinda like that too, although adding a mint 100% original specimen gives you more pride.

Well, only if they dull the edges of the pitchforks and leave the torches unlit.

16. Bobs citizens Feb 3, 2014

Thanks everyone!

i am learning a lot and having fun doing so! Original is defiantly preferred so long as it looks decent. I am very wary of words like "Rare" as well as those that do not mention the movement. I seen one that showed the movement all copper colored and had silver gear wheels and said to myself yikes! Things happen and parts need to be replaced, but like to see them replaced with NOS not something that "fits" to make do!

The Geneve pictured above did not run well at all when I received it, so my watch maker serviced it and replaced a a part, not sure what. Bottom line is it runs great and very accurate +4 a day,.

Taking my time learning and am enjoying the "hunt"!

The 1030 movement in my Genve:

image.jpg

17. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 3, 2014

You will get many opinions on original versus redial. The correct answer is: If the product is accurately described allowing you to make an informed decision then buy what you like. If in a few weeks time the thought of having a redialed watch becomes existential, then you could always sell and find an original example. My 2c.