Forums Latest Members
  1. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 11, 2012

Respectable Members

After hunting for some while, my factory-original condition 300m model ref 166.024 with big triangle and date, has finally arrived. I am just waiting for a friend who has a digital-camera to take some shots, to share with respectable forum members.

While waiting for my princess to arrive, a friend decided to buy an uncommon Omega Constellation C in 18k solid white gold with a factory-original diamond-bezel. In order to get this watch, he has to off-load his entire small collection of three Omega 120m mod ref 166.073 and two white gold Omega Constellation C in 18k white gold.

Since I cannot afford to buy another vintage-watch, I suggested to him to sell those watches in the 'for sale' section of this forum since we have lots of watch-lovers here and it is guaranteed his watches will find a good home, while his other friends suggested that he should eBay them. The question now is: Which is better for my friend, to sell his watches here or on eBay?

This is one of his watches.

120m 166.073 .JPG

Thank-you.

MyVintageOmega likes this.
  2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 11, 2012

Is he a regular eBay seller? Selling good quality watches with low/no feedback could be hard.

Does he have good quality photos? Getting a fair price on eBay absent those could be hard.

Is he already an active forum member? If not, people here, and on other forums, may not be comfortable buying from him.

Etc etc.

Could always do both. I know Kyle does that.

3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 11, 2012

I would do it here...at least you know you can trust the members here. There are also ebay fees which can be avoided by selling over here. With ebay you get to expose your item to more potential buyers, but I'm sure some people here would be interested. :)

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 11, 2012

That said, you friend needs to know to be careful, there have been 2 cases where people here were sent fake paypal confirmations of moneys sent and shipped watches. You NEED to independently VERIFY that funds have reached your accounts before sending a watch, I can't stress that enough to people.

5. Wheels Dec 11, 2012

I'd sell here first choice. I am however selling both on here and on eBay at the same time. Heightens the exposure, especially for pieces like my F300 Lobster.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 11, 2012

I can't stress enough, photos and feedback sell on eBay, especially on high dollar items like watches.

My listings always have at least nine or ten big clear photos, movement and inner case back photos are a must as well many photos from different angles.

7. ulackfocus Dec 11, 2012

No fees here, and selling to a regular contributing member is pretty safe. If you know the member hangs out and calls a place home, you know they don't want to sully their reputation. As stated in a few posts, eBay has the expoure, but Omega Forums has no fees and a dedicated customer base for vintage Omegas.

8. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Dec 11, 2012

Respectable Seamonster,

Why not ask your friend to try selling here for a couple of weeks. If still no takers, he can always put it on eBay. That's assuming he is in no real hurry to sell of course. This gives the members here an opportunity to own his nice collection and also better assurance for him than selling on eBay and not to mention zero fees. And he will be assured that they will be going to a good home which to me is much more important.;)

Just my 2cts.

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 11, 2012

I agree selling here is better. On top of benefits mentioned above forum experts in here are willing to help other member to give fair valuation and verifying the quality of the watch. It's a win-win proposition for both seller and buyer.

10. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 11, 2012

in my opnion it appears that sometimes you can get better prices on ebay, but it is always a gamble as to wether or not ebay buyers will bid for it, I frequently see poor redials fetch big prices on the bay. It is like they dont see the beauty of a great original, I look at this bumper (on sale here) and think it is steal at $330 and should fetch $500 easy on the bay but I'm also sure MSN has very valid reasons for not putting it for sale there.
    Also, as I am still at the buying/hoarding stage in my collecting life the above comments are based on something I have no experience of so should be taken with a pinch of salt!

[​IMG]

11. Littleroger Dec 12, 2012

Selling here is undoubtedly a more enjoyable experience in general. You know you watch is going to a good home and may even hear back from the new owner in future. The financial pros and cons have already been discussed - eBay fees vs potential higher selling price. I'd put it up here first and if that doesn't work, move on either to other fora or eBay and co.

12. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 12, 2012

Respectable Members

To all those who have responded with an advice or two, I appreciate.

I shall relay your invaluable thoughts to my friend. We have discharged our responsibilities as lovers of vintage-watches and it is up to my friend to decide, whether he prefers his watches to be on sale in our forum or on eBay. If on this forum, we will be able to help him but on eBay, he has to get his other friends to do the job.

Personally, I prefer to offer those watches here, since we can be assured his time-pieces will go to a good and loving home.

As with regard to my 300m 166.024 with big triangle and date, I am still waiting for my friend to take shots of the watch, for us to share. After a day, the time-keeping is expected that of Omega accuracy, despite it is not a chronometer.

Thank-you.

13. MyVintageOmega Dec 12, 2012

So looking forward to Images of your SM 300........and the forum worked for you to obtain it and the forum I would think is overall more solid of a bet then a gamble on Ebay anyday.:thumbsup:

14. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 12, 2012

Respectable Member MyVintageOmega

I totally support what you have said. Without this forum and its respectable members, I would still be groping in the dark, trying to get a good factory-original 166.024. More than likely, I may not get something that I really want but a half-baked vintage-watch.

As for my friend's watches, he has to think very carefully, here or eBay. The majority of forum members, including you, have suggested our for sale section is the way to go. Definitely, this is not wrong.

Thank-you.

15. pknopp Dec 15, 2012

Personally I would pay a little more on a site like this than on eBay. Your audience is limited here so while any particular watch you are selling might be a great buy there simply might not be a buyer here at any given time.

If it was me, I would offer it here first. It's safer and there are no fee's. If it didn't sell in a reasonable time, I would then offer it on eBay.

I sell different things to fund the things I want to buy and I search out an item specific board as much as possible to sell those items.