Forums Latest Members

Best Weekend Beater for All Occasions?

1. wkimmd Jul 9, 2017

So I am looking to add to my collection a so-called "weekend beater."
    I have two boys, about 4 and 2 years old, so on the weekend, we rough-house it pretty good. Also, we spend almost every weekend on the beach, or hiking, or otherwise outdoors (we live in California).

So - what do you guys think is the "best" weekend beater for this purpose? I own mostly vintage pieces, which I don't quite feel comfortable wearing on the beach (sand, water) - I think it has to be a modern piece for that purpose...and probably gettable either new or pre-owned for ~5K. I currently wear a Seiko 5 when I head to the beach, for example...it serves the purpose by the way, but could use an upgrade to my "weekend-adventurer" game...

Immediate thoughts that came to my mind:
    -Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial (although it is bigger than I usually wear, 36-38mm, this is 41)
    -A modern Moonwatch (although bigger, the only "large" watch I like; but not sure best for the beach?)
    -A Rolex Explorer, 14270 or 114270 (I love my 1016; one of the more modern Explorers might be good, right?)
    -A Rolex Submariner 14060 2-line (the earlier model, not the 4 line 14060M)

Thanks OF members!

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 9, 2017

Well most (ok many) people claim the SKX is the ultimate beater... the new marinemaster 300m is a sublime step up from the SKX.

But Sinn makes a great range of very hearty watches. Stowa and Laco make a great flieger in 36 and 38mm in auto and manual winds.

Oris and Longines both have great looking heritage divers on the market.

Mad Dog, OmegaRolex, Jwit and 4 others like this.
  3. tyrantlizardrex Jul 9, 2017

It tells me that we're in vastly different budget realms, if you're considering those watches as "beaters". ;)

As @Foo2rama says, the SKX is a solid, budget auto - there are also sun $100 casio g-shocks that are worth a look.

By definition, a beater needs to be something you're happy to destroy (even by accident), and your list has 100% precious metal on... unless you're lighting cigars with $100 bills, I'd go down the cheap and cheerful route. :thumbsup:

Edited Jul 9, 2017
    Aronis, Longbow, Mad Dog and 7 others like this.
  4. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jul 9, 2017

Absolutely agree, Tyrantlizardrex!
    My beaters are generally old Seiko 5s, and even then I stick them in my pocket if I'm doing something wet or mucky!
    Clearly I'm well out of my financial league in this post although the watches are lovely.
    I can only follow in awe (and envy).

BrianMcKay, wkimmd and Croweater like this.
  5. Canuck Jul 9, 2017

There is a likelihood that someone is going to offer the opinion that Omega co-axial, Omega Speedmasters, Rolex Explorers, and Rolex Submariners were meant to be worn, and that if it is your inclination to roughhouse with your kids on week ends when you go geocaching, you should darn right well choose one, and go ahead and wear it! I once related the true story of the guy who bought a platinum automatic chronograph with chronometer movement, and perpetual calendar, for 400,000+ Canadian dollars. Then he went fishing, slipped on a rock, threw out his arm, and destroyed his watch when it hit a rock! I mentioned that I thought he had been foolish. Everyone who responded to my comment said he most certainly should have worn the watch that way! My opinion hadn't changed. Buy a Timex and turf it when you destroy t!

Kmart, Larry S, Maganator and 2 others like this.
  6. ATWG Jul 9, 2017

This is my ultimate beater watch, absolutely indistructable barcelet and movement. Wear it to the beach, Home Depot or whenever I travel. And these can be had for real cheap at the moment with all the Speedmaster craze.

IMG_4012.JPG
  7. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jul 9, 2017

That's where you've been hiding!

wkimmd likes this.
  8. ATWG Jul 9, 2017

Indeed, with my SMP...

wkimmd likes this.
  9. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jul 9, 2017

Can't go wrong with the Sub no date.
    I would add the 16570 to your list.
    These watches are just not getting the love they used to...

wkimmd likes this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 9, 2017

I think the choice (or our suggestions) would depend on your current collection, so if you give us an idea of your current models and preferences we could offer a more balanced selection.

11. tyrantlizardrex Jul 9, 2017

You see a ton of these in London... mostly with suits. :whistling:

12. davidswiss Jul 9, 2017

A Seiko 5 of some sort. Tough, accurate, not sure how waterproof but you can get a diver version, look pretty good and cheap. That's a beater.
    P1030941.JPG

Larry S and Spruce like this.
  13. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jul 9, 2017

I think any watch looks well with a suit. Interesting to see folks ask if any of these watches are ok to wear formally, which of course if you are spending thousands of dollars is a no brainer.
    My reference to not getting a lot of love, which I should have been more clear, was at the register, for the sellers. The market is flooded and selling at a discount in comparison to years ago.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  14. tyrantlizardrex Jul 9, 2017

I think there are probably two factors affecting that:

1 - sheer quantity sold

2 - the new, larger version, meaning a lot of people are selling to "upgrade"

The 16570 keeps calling to me... I just have no funds... if I had the job I had this time last year, I'd have one in the rotation by now.

Foo2rama, watch3s and TTG like this.
  15. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jul 9, 2017

True. Modern watches are mass produced but the sapphire GMT prices have made it an exception, more popular, with prices going through the roof. I think their versatility with the changing of inserts makes it popular.

I particularly do not like the larger version of these models.

Best of luck on the job end..

Spruce and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  16. sjg22 Jul 9, 2017

All great choices - I'd likely go Sub. Tough watch and the bezel insert is replaceable if it gets a bit dinged up.

I wouldn't go Speedmaster due to lack of water resistance, at least as compared with the others.

Get a pressure test every year or two if you're swimming regularly!

BrianMcKay likes this.
  17. watch3s Jul 9, 2017

16570s can be had for around $3500-$4000 if you are not too picky about conditions. I also vote for the 14060M 2 liner but I am a bit biased :whistling:

18. chanbar Jul 9, 2017

My idea of a beater watch is for doing chores in and something that could get trashed and I wouldn't feel too bad about it. I wear my SMP and regular rotations all the time including the weekend horsing with the kids. However when I do chores I have a dependable Sector300 to wear that is waterproof and can handle the grind of labor/life. Check out a Costco. Lots of good deals on dependable watches both the beater up and regulars and find what suits you. They have the submariner down to an oris or Seiko

BrianMcKay likes this.
  19. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 9, 2017

I happen to be camping...

20170709_112817-2268x3024.jpg

20170709_112817-2268x3024.jpg
    Jkuback, nurseford25, chanbar and 2 others like this.
  20. wkimmd Jul 9, 2017

Or I'm just a noob