Forums Latest Members

Best Way To Ship To Italy, To Avoid 'loss'?

1. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 28, 2013

Respectable Members

Kindly advise, which is the best way or courier service to use to ship items (like vintage-watch or vintage-watch accessories) to Italy, so that items will not get 'LOST', when there?

Thank-you.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 28, 2013

I know a lot of people simply won't ship to Italy... I'd go fedex or UPS tbh

3. pknopp Jan 28, 2013

I ship things all over the world. I've shipped to Russia and Hong Kong some pretty expensive things but there are too many packages that seem to get lost to Italy for me to ship there.

That really doesn't answer your question.

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 28, 2013

All I ever send to Italy is money. The watch traffic is the other way....

I can tell you the Italians themselves avoid their postal system in favor of international couriers. They seem to like an outfit called Battistolli (http://www.battistolli.it/ita/) which liaises with UPS I believe.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 28, 2013

That's a rather sad situation really when a people in a modern, culturally rich, first world nation can't use their own postal service due to an abundance of shitbags. The more I read about Singapore's policies regarding crime the more I like the idea of them, if thievery landed you 8 strokes from a rattan cane you wouldn't have to wonder about your packages arriving.

6. ulackfocus Jan 28, 2013

Corporal and capital punishment for watch crimes...... I like it! Can we extend it to people who melt vintage watches?

7. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 28, 2013

Thievery won't cost you that but touching a lady without her consent will.:D

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 28, 2013

I thought it covered burglary, robbery and various other things too, I know there was that American bloke in '94 that stole some traffic signs and vandalised a car and ended up with 4 strokes.

Far as I know he didn't vandalise any further cars :p

9. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 28, 2013

Certain crimes are punishable by caning on top of fine and imprisonment and vandalism is one of those. Burglary and robbery will likely only land you in the jailhouse. And course there are many people out there in the world who are against caning or any sort of corporal punishment. Apologies for hijacking the thread.

10. ulackfocus Jan 28, 2013

Puh-leez! Thread hijacking is one of our good qualities.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 28, 2013

I might actually be moving to Singapore for work in the next few months so I've been reading up on it lol I actually don't mind the idea at all, I'm not the type that gets in trouble, but I've had a BMW stolen along with various other smaller things over the years and am not a big fan of criminals in general.

12. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 28, 2013

Well the system is a little rigid but I guess that is a price to pay in return for stability and safety at home. You can walk around almost anywhere late in the night and you will feel safe, even for a lady. Anyways, if you really come by here, drop me a pm and I can show you the nice watch places. But not many vintage watchshops around though.

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 28, 2013

I've read that there is a huge community of watch lovers in SG, almost as many as HK. Would be very cool to see that! But yea I've never even been before and now it looks like I may be there for a year or two lol

14. ulackfocus Jan 28, 2013

ATTENTION OMEGA FORUMS: if this move comes to fruition, I'm laying odds Ashely comes home married or with a serious gf.

15. jbibz Jan 28, 2013

One option I now use for shipping things to Italy (only really for people in Europe, sorry ) is to use back-load haulage sites. These can be very useful if you really want to make sure your item is delivered. It can take time to sort out sometimes but it is a way of avoiding the corrupt postal service. Quite a good option for those of you in the U.K as these services have become very popular and normally cost no more than a standard courier service but with the huge advantage of the item going from A to B in the same pair of hands. Not worth the effort for items of little value but for valuable things is worth considering.
    Regards Peter

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 28, 2013

Well I have been warned that not every lady you may come across is an authentic lady in some parts of Asia. Think of them as redials of sorts.

17. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 28, 2013

Please explain further

18. alam Jan 28, 2013

get me a plane ticket, I'll deliver the item(s) for you. I'll post pictures to document delivery at no extra cost. ::bleh::

19. ulackfocus Jan 28, 2013

While that may very well be true, I bet you'll really fall for Pacific Island women. Further details via PM if needed.

20. jbibz Jan 28, 2013

It became popular a few years ago as hauliers started to struggle to stay in business. Say a company is sending a van/lorry from the U.K to Italy on a contracted job, they will then sell any remaining space they have at discounted rates. It enables them to pick up and drop off other goods on the way which increases the profitability of the run due to the fact that the original contractor has already paid for said journey. You can now simply post a package on a back-load website and hauliers will contact you with a quote. With tens of thousands of lorries making trips through Europe every day the chances are someone will be going near to your required destination sooner or later. I find about 7/10 of the loads (some single items some up to a pallet) that I post are filled and despatched within a week. It is good for me because I send very fragile items, and the fact they stay on one van/lorry is a big advantage, It is like having your own personal delivery service. As I said before not for everyone but can be very useful for others.
    Regards Peter