Forums Latest Members

Best way to adjust Aqua Terra rubber strap?

1. maconomist Mar 6, 2019

I just got a new Seamaster Aqua Terra with the rubber strap, and struggling to get the strap to fit comfortably...

If I pin the clasp to the tighest hole, it’s too tight on my wrist. The next setting is too loose, and the watch just dances around on my wrist.

Is my only option to destroy the rubber strap by drilling another hole? Or is there a better option?

Wondering if I should take it to an AD or Omega to get some help.

Thanks

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 6, 2019

Do they make a small version of that strap? If they do it will most likely solve the problem.

3. ext1 Mar 6, 2019

Yes, see if AD has a smaller version, or else look into omega-compatible third party manufacturers or Jean Rousseau if you must stick to OEM.

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. maconomist Mar 6, 2019

Thanks @Foo2rama and @ext1 -- I'll ask the AD.

I'm wearing it in the tightest setting today to see how it fits. Pictures attached. This way it stays in place above the wrist bone, and doesn't travel up and down my arm, but is just a tad tight. The metal clasp in the back indents into my wrist/skin a bit leaving a small mark, not sure if that's ok. It seems ok with winter weather, but not sure with warm weather. Is this too tight? Should the watch fit a bit looser?

IMG_2847.JPG IMG_2846.JPG IMG_2844.JPG
    Khamenman likes this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 6, 2019

Some people like loose on a bracelet, some like super tight on a strap. There is no right or wrong way, it’s what you are comfortable with. As you appear to have a smaller wrist proportionally you will see a bigger effect between holes. Which I assume a smaller strap will address with less distance between the holes.

ext1 likes this.
  6. maconomist Mar 6, 2019

Thanks, that's helpful. I have another watch with a metal bracelet that I wear looser, and it doesn't bother me like this rubber strap being looser.

Do you think if I wear this rubber strap in its tightest setting, will it stretch a bit over time?

sturosen likes this.
  7. ext1 Mar 6, 2019

From your pics the strap size looks fine to me. Actually for rubber I would prefer kind of loose...if it's too tight it sometimes gets nasty with the sweat and gets uncomfortable. Let your watch breathe a bit!

I don't think it will stretch...but hey, if metal bracelets stretch over time, no telling if rubber will as well...so I'm not 100% sure. But I certainly won't worry... it's just an aging effect. Completely expected and natural...

Just wear the damn thing and enjoy it!

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. CJpickup57 Mar 6, 2019

I have the same strap on my AT as well. I love it and bought the reference because of it. I wear it tighter than my bracelet watches and find it comfortable. But, everyone is built different and like different feels so find your wrist and watch’s happy place and wear it proud!

9. maconomist Mar 6, 2019

It's in its tightest setting now, if I move it to the next hole, the watch starts traveling up and down my lower arm, and the crown hits the back of my hand which gets annoying.

Does the strap mark your skin after wearing all day?

I just wore the watch all day, and it's left marks in my arm, the underside especially where the metal clasp is. I can even see the shape of the band holes punctured into my skin... I've never worn rubber straps, but not sure if this is too tight...

10. CJpickup57 Mar 6, 2019

Yes, I have some strap lines. I do not have as severe markings as you describe, but I do get the lines and a few light hole outlines. If I go one hole less, I have the same floppy issue you describe and it drives me nuts. Sounds like you need an "in between" setting. I certainly wouldn't make that hole if needed though. Definitely go to a store and try some other straps and keep the original for when you find this food called pizza ha ha.

11. watchos Mar 6, 2019

Same issue here. Love the strap, but it's always either too tight or too loose. That's why I am trying to sell mine.

12. SuperHero Mar 6, 2019

The Aqua Terra’s strap looks awesome. Sorry to hear it just ain’t right.
    My Pelagos was like that so I never really wore it on the rubber. There were alternative brands to buy but ultimately, I wore it on the the bracelet until I sold it.
    Right now, I don’t do rubber on any of my watches.

13. maconomist Mar 6, 2019

Sorry to hear that. Did you try to find a solution to this, weren't able to and gave up? I'm hoping there is a solution, because I really like the watch and the strap...

What's the danger with making another hole?

By the way, I just emailed Omega about this, and will report back. Short of drilling another hole into the strap, which I'd like to avoid at all costs, I'm wondering if there is some other way to get this to work...

a) Putting it on its tightest setting and somehow stretching the rubber a bit
    b) Putting it on the next looser setting and then adding some sort of "noodle" to reduce the give -- kind of like how how there are "ring noodles" to make loose rings fit more snuggly. Does something like this exist for watches? Or some homemade solution?
    c) Start eating pizza every day, hahaha

14. CJpickup57 Mar 7, 2019

The danger? I don't know about danger, but I certainly will not be putting holes in a $200 strap. My suggestion is still the eating pizza more often :thumbsup:.

Here are a few shots of how I wear mine (I will not accept comments on the protective film still on the clasp. I still have protective film on my TV bezels. Don't ask, I have OCD issues.) ANYWAYS... Here are the pictures IMG_1883.jpg
    IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg
    IMG_1886.jpg
    IMG_1887.jpg

Edited Mar 7, 2019
  15. maconomist Mar 7, 2019

Great point, definitely this is the option of last resort...

I'll let everyone know if and when I hear back from Omega regarding some other options. For now, I'm wearing this on the tightest setting. Not very comfortable, but at least it stays in place.

16. CJpickup57 Mar 7, 2019

I edited my last post to add pictures for you to compare.

17. maconomist Mar 7, 2019

Thanks! Those pictures are REALLY helpful! It looks almost identical to how I'm wearing mine, maybe in my case the metal clasp in the back bites into my skin just a tiny bit more, but really hard to say actually...

Out of curiosity, if you try to slide the watch on your wrist just placing your fingers on each strap, does it slide at all or is it pretty much holding onto your skin firmly right in place? Meaning it's gripping your skin and would require some force to actually move up or down. Mine doesn't slide at all in this tighter setting... If I try to slide it, it pretty much pulls the skin in either direction.

What drives me a bit nuts is the feeling of having something grabbing my wrist all day long; it doesn't fully fade into the background. But then again, my other watch with a metal bracelet is looser, so maybe this is how a rubber strap is supposed to feel?

18. CJpickup57 Mar 7, 2019

It is holding firmly in place. I believe it is an acquired feeling. The more you wear it you will either be okay with it or you will be looking for a replacement strap with perhaps a buckle or even a bracelet. I wear my bracelet watches loose as you stated about your own so it was a different feeling. However, this AT is currently my most expensive and newest watch so the secure feeling the strap gives me is welcomed and so far it has been comfortable to me.

19. hbombkid Mar 7, 2019

I would say wear it on the loose setting for about 2-3 days and see if you get used to it. If not maybe then drill a hole? Maybe their is a good leather repair shop? Even though it’s rubber bet they would do it right.

20. JAAA Mar 8, 2019

Strap fit is all personal preference. To me, that fit looks perfect and snug. It's how i like to wear my watches whether leather, rubber, or bracelet.

Give it a few days of trying what you like, in your normal environment (whether office, shop, etc) and see if you mind it.

What I wouldn't do is drill holes in that OEM strap ... there just doesn't seem to be enough material in between to drill another hole, and still maintain the structural integrity of the strap ... i.e. there's a chance that that hole will rip into the nearby hole through normal wear.