Forums Latest Members
  1. mom2four Feb 25, 2015

I recently acquired a vintage Omega Constellation for my husband; it is a chronometer with 561 caliber movement (photos below). I have researched various websites to learn about the best way to keep this watch wound without "overwinding" etc. The most informative site I've found is http://www.watchcases.com/omega-watch-winder-previews-of-winders-for-omega.html. Does anyone have any data on the winding needs of my watch? Direction? Turns per day? Recommendations for a good watch winder that won't "break the bank"?

Also, I'd be interested on any feedback you may have regarding the general condition/appearance of this watch.

Thanks in advance! omega_116.jpg omega_125.jpg omega_135.jpg omega_142.jpg omega_15.jpg Screen Shot Omega.png

2. TNTwatch Feb 25, 2015

Your husband is a lucky man! It's a very nice gift and the best winder is his hands. Wearing everyday, it's supposedly not needed to be wound manually. If not everyday then just wind it when he wears it - it's part of the fun in enjoying a mechanical watch and reduces unnecessary abrasions. It cannot be overwound, but needs to be serviced properly if it hasn't been yet. The picture of the dial is small, but it seems to show dial has been refinished. It's not a bad job, but it reduces the watch's value quite a bit to a collector - should not be a big issue for a user though and I'd love to be gifted with one like this!

mom2four likes this.
  3. mom2four Feb 25, 2015

Thanks, TNTwatch! I understand that the dial is "original, stamped;" can it still be listed that way if the dial has been refinished? Also, can you tell me what makes you think it has been? I am all new to this stuff :). I'd love to learn more from collectors like you! Also, can you tell if this is a "pie pan"? I am glad you like it... I hope my husband does too! It is for our 20th wedding anniversary.

4. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Feb 25, 2015

mom2four,

You are doing a really nice thing for your husband. Buying him a nice watch is really sweet of you. :) And your choice of watch is excellent as well.

I can't comment on the originality of the dial - I'm not intimately familiar with Constellations, but I can say that TNTwatch is correct in that the best winders he could have are his own two hands. A full winding of the movement should take an hour or two on the wrist and that should last him about 48 hours. If he doesn't wear it for two days, he simply has to reset and wind it by hand, which takes a few seconds and is actually a pleasure to do, as you get to appreciate and handle the beautiful watch as you do so.

Important: Automatic movements like this Constellation cannot be "overwound". Once the watch is fully wound, you can keep turning the crown, but it'll no longer wind the mainspring.

5. TNTwatch Feb 25, 2015

Some letters on the word Constellation do not look quite right, the star is not straight up, and the Swiss Made's position seems a bit off - these are clues to an apparent refinish job, but bigger and clearer pictures may show otherwise also. A refinished dial is still a genuine one, so one can say "original" in this sense, but it's not original to the state when it was made, which is very desirable to collectors. A vintage watch cannot stay the same after more than 50 years of use, so a refinished dial is commonly and reasonably expected - for a reasonable price, and in my opinion, would not detract one from owning and enjoying the watch.

A pie-pan dial will have a 12 sided minute track like the one on this page: http://omega-constellation-collecto.../the-omega-constellation-pie-pan-factoid.html. If you intend to learn more, this blog is also the best resource available about vintage Constellations whose author also happens to be a respected member here.

Hope it helps!

mom2four likes this.
  6. mom2four Feb 25, 2015

Here is another photo... Omega 2.png
    Good to know that the crown can be wound as well in the event the watch is not worn for a few days... I told you I was new to all of this ;-). I appreciate you taking the time to post.

7. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Feb 25, 2015

Beautiful watch!

The movement is very high quality and the case is gorgeous! The dial looks good weather or not it is refinished.

Congratulations on 20 years. I hope your husband thinks of you every time he looks at his Omega Constellation!

mom2four likes this.
  8. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 25, 2015

http://www.orbita.com/database-search/
    has the winder settings for all automatic watches. They make great, but expensive, winders
    Wolf Designs makes great winders at a much more reasonable price. Very well made and quiet

Edited Feb 25, 2015
  9. mom2four Feb 25, 2015

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 25, 2015

I would not recommend using a watch winder on a vintage automatic watch. All it can do is cause unnecessary wear on parts that may or may not be replaceable in the future. If he doesn't want to wear the watch for a period of time, then it is much better to let it wind down and set it again later. Winding via the crown should be OK if the watch was serviced recently. If it has not been serviced by a qualified watchmaker, it should be.

BTW, this Constellation is not a "pie-pan", domed dials were also made. Perfectly acceptable for this model. Here is an original UK catalogue page from 1964:

[​IMG]
    http://www.old-omegas.com/catuk64.html

Yours is the "silvered dial" 18K model, that was GBP20 cheaper.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

mom2four likes this.