Forums Latest Members

Best watch (form & function) under $5.5k

1. Sectoid Apr 11, 2016

Hey guys,

I was recommended to post a question here by a college of mine. I'm looking to buy a watch for my upcoming wedding and have a budget of about $5 - $6k (AUD).

I am wondering if you have any suggestions, as I'm sure this question is asked a lot, as to which are the top watches in that price bracket? To me, the function could probably come secondary to the form. I've been looking at the Frederique Constant moonphase (Silver) and also the Nomos watches, however I prefer the aesthetics of the FC more. My dream watch is the classic Silver Omega Speedmaster, but obviously that is out of my price range.

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Cheers.

2. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Apr 11, 2016

You should be able to get your dream watch, the classic Speedy Pro, in your budget (new). Not sure what your grey market options are in Australia, but a quick search at Jomashop shows them at USD 3475. This is for the latest Speedy Pro reference, 311.30.42.30.01.005

3. watchcollect Apr 11, 2016

Give @ashleysteadman a shout he is in Australia and he may be able to assist. check out his sales ads in the private sales section.
    Good luck with the hunt:thumbsup:

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 11, 2016

that's like $8.00 to $13.00 US, right ::confused2::

redpcar likes this.
  5. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 11, 2016

Pre owned Rolex Sub if I had to have one watch anf had under $5k.

Foo2rama and Tubber like this.
  6. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Apr 11, 2016

image.jpg I would choose the omega speedmaster first omega in space...on croc or gator strap...I think it has a classic look that does dressy well, you will be in a tux... It will look good now and in ten years, they are on the web for new a bit above 3k$ us
    The fedrique I think will lose value more although I agree there moon phase is quit nice and nice price
    Nomos is doing a lot of good things but I think they are not as dressy and a little trendy...

citizenrich and bristnj like this.
  7. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Apr 11, 2016

from an afficionados pov, i'd pick a nomos over fc any day of the week...but a speedy is never wrong

citizenrich likes this.
  8. Sectoid Apr 11, 2016

Wow, what amazing replies so far.

Is Jomashop a legit watch dealer? As in they won't be selling fakes or copies? Would this affect any resale factors down the line? This is the original and classic Speedmaster, right? (http://www.jomashop.com/omega-watch-311-30-42-30-01-005.html)

Also, I can't seem to figure out if that price is in US or AUD?

citizenrich likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 12, 2016

Hi @Sectoid I'm Harish's mate, Jomashop are legit but you can do better elsewhere, the three I'd strongly recommend are the Speedmaster Pro, Seamaster 300 Calibre 8400 diver and the Seamaster Aqua Terra, all three are really great pieces.

Also with Speedmasters don't be afraid of vintage, they're a bit like the Porsche 911 in that they're all nearly identical from 1971 -> 2016 just with minor changes to the movement bracelet and lume, and there's no bad model of Speedmaster Pro, they're all good just different eras appeal to different people.

All the models from 1968 onwards use the very durable Cal 861/1861 movement or a variant of it and are very easy to get serviced and maintain for a lifetime. As is evident by the huge number of vintage 60s models on this site, Speedmaster Pros nearly always outlive their owners.

And you can definitely get your Speedmaster inside the budget you listed btw so don't worry about having to settle for anything other than the one you want.