Forums Latest Members

Best to Wind Speedmaster Pro Even When Not In Use?

1. iLuveketchup Oct 14, 2014

Sorry for the stupid question, but what is the best practice regarding a manual watch (Speedmaster Pro) in storage or not in use. Is it better to wind the watch every 36hrs (for example) or let the watch die and wind right before you wear? The Speedmaster Pro is by far my favorite watch and I want to make sure I take care of it appropriately. Thanks!

2. ulackfocus Oct 14, 2014

You don't have to keep it wound.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 14, 2014

Totally up to your own preference really, if you'd rather it stay wound so that you don't have to set it again that's fine, I have no fingernails to speak of so its a nightmare for me to pull the crown out on a Speedy (I use a thin credit card wedged between the case and crown to pop it out) and I like to just keep them wound when they're out of the bank.

But as Dennis said aside from convenience no reason you have to keep it wound.

4. iLuveketchup Oct 15, 2014

Thanks ulackfocus! Thanks dsio!

5. repoman Oct 15, 2014

A qualified watchmaker like Al can probably speak to best practice, but for me, I only wind the watch I'm wearing that day- if for no other reasons than I'm too lazy to wind up my Speedy's, and why run them if you don't have to (wear and tear). I don't mind setting the time each morning when I switch watches.

6. roach7 Oct 15, 2014

+1 For manual watches I'd wind them the day I wear them

7. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Oct 16, 2014

I wind them once in a while to get things going. If it isn't wound for many months stuff can go south.

8. John R Smith Oct 16, 2014

Too long a period of disuse is bad for -

* Mechanical watches

* Mechanical shuttered cameras

* Classic cars and motorcycles

* And vintage guitars

So I would fire them up every month or so, just to stretch their legs and keep them fit ;)

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 16, 2014

Oils degrade and dry out if the watch is running or not. Personally I think this would happen faster if the watch is running than if it is simply left stopped when not in use. Many people on forums talk about "keeping oils in place" by having the watch running, but they don't understand how oils are applied and kept in their locations in the first place I expect.

When oil is applied to a pivot/jewel interface, the oil is sucked into the space between the jewel and pivot and held there by capillary action. The oils will not "bleed out" if the watch is left stopped for a period of time. I've left watches stopped for months and months between the times they are used with no ill effects.

There are locations where lubricants are applied to a flat surface, or to a post, wheel, etc. but the type of lubrication used is appropriate to each location, so again I don't think this is as big a concern as some make it out to be.

If you are really paranoid about this and want to make absolutely sure, wind it every 3 months maybe just for peace of mind. I don't think it's needed, but if it makes you feel better it won't really hurt either.

Cheers, Al

Riyasp and TLIGuy like this.