Forums Latest Members
  1. Becca1 Feb 9, 2018

What's the Best Buy,speedy mk2 unpolished or speedy 4.5 probably polished,both same price,
    Cheers and thanks

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 9, 2018

Unpolished as you can't put metal back once polished.

Watch pictures would help for any advice ;)

moorey and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  3. tonizzos Feb 9, 2018

yes , would be easier with pictures , i prefer unpolished too but it depends also on how the watch looks like

nonuffinkbloke and Foo2rama like this.
  4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 9, 2018

I'd go for the mark, every day of the week.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  5. OhmMega Feb 9, 2018

The best Speedy is the one that you own :)

nonuffinkbloke, MikiJ and Foo2rama like this.
  6. Becca1 Feb 9, 2018

i don't have any pics,only dealers website,if I buy I'll put pics up,think I'm leaning towards the unpolished mk2.
    Thanks for the replies

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 9, 2018

How do you know it’s unpolished? If seen mk2 with great brushing missing a lot of metal.

omegaswisst and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  8. Caliber561 Feb 9, 2018

Depends on the degree of polishing, as well as the base price. Cases can be restored via laser welding. Slight polishing can be reversed by professional refinishing. Etc etc

red crowned and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  9. bama2141 Feb 10, 2018

I have both references, and would say the Mk4.5 chronograph design is more appealing. Having the minute register on the center dial makes reading the elapsed time so much easier. I’d also offer that the 22mm lugs on the 4.5 (compared to the 20mm on the MkII) make straps look more aesthetically balanced on the 4.5.

That said, the MkII is a classic. It’s a bit thinner than the 4.5, and has the robust 861 movement. The pop of color on the racing version is terrific.

I’d also say that a sympathetic case restoration on this case style can be a plus. This sunburst polished case style can be a scratch magnet, and well used samples can look pretty ratty. A proper relapping with sharp polished bevels is a pleasure to see. Perhaps that ruins the “investment” potential, but I’d personally rather see a something beautiful on my wrist.

5A6AFE86-8BE6-40FE-92CD-682D605FC336.jpeg 200633BD-101D-4115-BACC-0C55F983481D.jpeg

10. Sherbie Feb 10, 2018

32D01C4C-4FA7-4634-98C4-C791BAD5DB87.png D89EB088-2F72-4BA0-984B-A0C8674082BE.jpeg

Top tip -to see how much polishing has been carried out, look and study the watch from top and bottom of the case. Please see photo of my Mark 4.5 taken on a carpet

Too many turn up with literally no metal left in this area -pls see photo of watch with a ralley strap, from a ebay listing of another mk 4.5 a few weeks ago

Cheers paul

Edited Feb 10, 2018
  11. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Feb 10, 2018

A very interesting and educational thread!
    Nice to have you on the Forum @Becca1.:thumbsup:

Can I politely suggest you tidy up your avatar image. :eek:
    I was born a stones throw from Stamford Bridge so may I Contribute a lovely alternative photograph for you?::love::
    1510932002381.png

Raymondo5508 and Sherbie like this.
  12. GordonL Feb 10, 2018

polished Vs unpolished is a difficult question. If you ever want to sell your watch, then "polished" will generally be a downside. But if you're buying a watch to wear long term, buy the one you like best!

Like someone said, once metal is removed it's not easy to put it back....

13. vintagestuff Feb 10, 2018

Someone needs to create a "World Soccer/Football for (American)Dummies" book:thumbsdown: to help those of us across the pond to understand the references. And maybe a followup: "Cricket for (American) Dummies."

14. bama2141 Feb 10, 2018

I would submit that the significant majority of us that frequent this forum would value the unpolished, original condition watch more highly than one that has been “restored”. I would also submit that we are in the significant minority of watch buyers.

There is a reason that jewelers polish and replace worn parts on vintage watches — it’s because that’s what sells. The general population of buyers are looking for a vintage vibe, or perhaps a good deal on a popular brand. I’m afraid they would outnumber the collectors by many multiples.

All this is to say that “losing money on a polished watch” is not a given, except in the rare and pricey world of true collectors watches.

Not saying that I support the practice of turning every watch into a shiny bauble, just that there is a big market that does. At the bottom line, buy what you like!

Mouse_at_Large and vintagestuff like this.
  15. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Feb 10, 2018

My apologies @vintagestuff .::shy:: It was just a bit of welcoming, friendly, UK regional, soccer based banter between us Southerners :rolleyes:..... AND NORTHERNERS!!! It's a football thing.:D

Edited Feb 10, 2018
  16. vintagestuff Feb 10, 2018

I like this. Maybe it can become an exclusive club. The SMWB.;) Did you mean "very much" in the minority or "important" minority? I just realized it could read either way with very different meanings.

17. M'Bob Feb 10, 2018

...or the one you want, but haven't gotten.

18. bama2141 Feb 10, 2018

Ha! I like the way you think! I originally meant “very much in the minority”, but I like your other interpretation better!

vintagestuff likes this.
  19. tyrantlizardrex Feb 10, 2018

Are they running?

Recently serviced/with any service documentation?

What's the condition of dial, hands, case, movement?

Are they on bracelets or straps? Are they the correct bracelets? Full length? Functioning clasps?

The designs are different, which one do you like most?

How much are the sellers asking for the watches? A MKII is in the current market, normally worth a bit more than a the later 1970s/1980s Speedmaster Automatics (1040/1045).

When you say "What's the best Buy?", what do you mean? Less likely to lose value? More likely to make you friends with people in high places?

You've asked a "how long is a piece of string?" question really @Becca1. ;)

Along with all of the above, the three questions you really need to answer for yourself, with both (and any) watches your considering are:

1) Do I want to own this model?

2) Is the price one that I'm willing to pay?

3) Is the watch in a decent enough condition compared to others that I actually want to own it?

Good luck.

Foo2rama, Mouse_at_Large and Sherbie like this.
  20. Becca1 Feb 10, 2018

I'll take that constructively,I actually find the moonwatch,which I've owned twice,too big for my tastes.
    So I'm looking for something slightly smaller,maybe even the FOIS.
    To me speedy are chronographs which is what I want so I'll take any model that suits.
    I like the mk4.5 but I also like the fact of an original unpolished case,so I suppose I was just looking for opinions and a discussion on a subject I enjoy