Forums Latest Members
  1. AgoMe Feb 21, 2020

I have a Seamaster 120 (166.027) that's badly damaged and in a really sorry state ... including no bezel.

As ever, there's more than one path to travel and I'm considering what to do.

Having checked with OMEGA they've confirmed that they no longer have any replacement bezels.

So, does anyone know of a good quality aftermarket bezel and it's supplier?

Thanks

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 21, 2020

Better of looking for a real bezel on EBay. Not many aftermarket vintage parts just floating around

3. AgoMe Feb 21, 2020

Thanks, Standy.

I gather that it's very unusual to find an original bezel not already fitted to a watch. I've have seen some aftermarket ones on eBay etc, but I'd hoped there might be alternatives that members knew of ... recognising that value is a combination of quality and cost.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 21, 2020

Got any pictures of the watch.

Bezels do come up on EBay

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 21, 2020

6. AgoMe Feb 21, 2020

See the attached.

I'm just starting out getting a small collection together. This is the second of three that I have. It was bought at Auction and sent to OMEGA to see what can be done. The idea being that these first watches will be kept for a long time. That's why, within reason, 'cost' is not so important.

Regards the link, thanks. I read it before purchasing. The watch seems to be genuine. A mess, but genuine.

OMEGA 166.027.jpg
  7. Shabbaz Feb 21, 2020

Original bezel is almost unobtainable. They rarely show up on ebay. I never saw one but some members here did.

8. Davidt Feb 21, 2020

I’ve seen one, loose 120 bezel on eBay in 2 years.

I’d keep and eye out and simply wear it without a bezel, à la Col Kurtz for now.

321Only, Foo2rama and Shabbaz like this.
  9. Shabbaz Feb 21, 2020

Pictures very blurry but are that white hands?

10. AgoMe Feb 21, 2020

The picture is poor. It's from the Auction catalogue. I was busy at the time and rushed the watch off to OMEGA without taking any myself.

The hands look aged, like the face. But there are many problems with the watch. Some serious. For instance the dial feet are broken.

To be fair to OMEGA they have been very good. But their bill would have been high (dial restoration after feet fix) and I still would not have had a bezel ... which is why I've asked for the watch back, for now.

An option I want to explore is whether the feet can be re-fixed without a dial restoration. Then with a full mechanical service, I'm thinking to do as Davidt suggests. Stick on an old OMEGA crocodile strap off eBay (for example) and keep it as 'survivor'. Who know's what might happen in the future. Even a nice bezel might turn up. At which point I'd re-consider things.

I know that I keep saying it, but this is a bit of fun. I really like the vintage OMEGA's and want to keep the spirit of the watches I get intact. My intention is that this stays together as a watch. If I was able to find a decent aftermarket bezel, I wouldn't want to hide the fact.

11. Shabbaz Feb 21, 2020

Without bezel it still looks nice. I had a 120 with a beaten up bezel but still loved that watch

Screenshot_20200221-164213_Gallery.jpg
  12. AgoMe Feb 21, 2020

Ha! You're right. It is a good looking watch, even without the bezel.

But the feet have to be re-attached. And OMEGA say that they won't re-attach the feet without the dial restoration. So my logic is that if I'm to go that far with OMEGA, I should at least like to try and find a bezel of some sort.

On the other hand, if someone will re-fix the feet (no dial restore) and do a mechanical service, I will have it as a survivor ... with no bezel.

13. Shabbaz Feb 21, 2020

I've read something abour fixing feet. I think it was @JwRosenthal . You can pm him

14. AgoMe Feb 21, 2020

Thanks for that Shabbaz. I've messaged him.

15. Shabbaz Feb 21, 2020

16. AgoMe Feb 21, 2020

Thanks, again. I'll give JwR a bit of time first.

17. JwRosenthal Feb 21, 2020

I got the PM but I’ll reply here for the posterity of the thread- I am no expert on repairing dial feet but it’s been discussed in other threads and is far more complicated and potentially disastrous than would be worth it (bubbling of dial paint, possible burn-through from soldering, etc).
    IMO, If the dial is otherwise clean and undamaged, I would just use dial dots as it will hold the dial in place without the application of heat.
    If the movement is a mess, the dial feet are broken, bezel missing, and case thrashed- then I would sell this thing off as a parts watch and walk away- look for another in better shape with all parts intact.

omegasaso12, Shabbaz and janice&fred like this.
  18. AgoMe Feb 21, 2020

... which is what the obviously better informed previous owner did.

It does seem that I'm pushing water uphill with this one. Sad.

I'm almost certainly going to do what you suggest. Thanks.

19. JwRosenthal Feb 21, 2020

If you post better pics of the watch, we can help you weigh the options.
    If the case is in decent shape (scuffs and scrapes aren’t a big deal- it’s over-polishing or hard impact damage that would be a deal breaker), dial is cosmetically clean, and the movement operational (which is a good starting point for a service), then it may be worth paying a local watchmaker to give it a good CLA, reapply the dial with dots and just wear it as a fun beater.

20. AgoMe Feb 21, 2020

Thanks, again.

When it gets back from OMEGA, which will take as much as two weeks, I'll take some pictures and post.

BUT, bezel aside, for full mechanical service including plexi-glass and case refinish back to original spec OMEGA 'quoted' £450. Then for the dial restoration (and I think they said they would keep the batons as they were), they charge £795.00.

To my eyes the case looked OK (scuffed but sharp edges) and the dial really did look nice. Way better than most that I see pictures of. Which kind of makes sense. Because my thinking is that the watch got badly knocked up at some point and has only recently re-surfaced.