Forums Latest Members

Best places to travel when buying?

1. jsducote May 13, 2019

I don't know if there is a "best" and it will probably vary depending on where you're from. But I got (what I thought) was a good deal on a FOIS in Madrid last fall returning to the US, what with the exchange rate and getting the VAT back. I'm currently in Mexico but it doesn't look like there are any good deals here. Fiance and I looked at Omegas, Breitlings, and Heuers (she briefly indulged a Rolex fantasy). Without spending time haggling, prices are roughly the equivalent of no sales tax (8.25%) from a local AD. Not enough to entice me.

I originally titled this "best places to buy when travelling" but maybe it's the other way around. Where have you found good deals and where should I vacation next?

2. Ekonomer-Tuomas May 13, 2019

China

3. Watchongrave May 13, 2019

You will be able to find tons of great deals in Japan, easily.

4. Braindrain May 14, 2019

Just came back from Japan. You'll have to look pretty hard for those deals.

Vintage, not so much. Tons of discounters for modern, though.

5. asrnj77 May 14, 2019

I think with a weaker pound you can find good deals in the UK especially on Rolex. Once you get a good chunk of the VAT back you’re in pretty good shape. Of course their Rolex selection is just as limited as the rest of the world but if you’re looking for something outside of a stainless sports model you might find a good deal.

I was just in India and the prices were ok. At the airport in Mumbai the salesperson told me they had “special deals” on Omega and without me even asking he was offering 30% off. Of course they’re marked up beforehand so basically you’re getting 15-20% off.

6. Jerseyhammer May 15, 2019

Duty free at most airports eg T5 Heathrow

Larry S likes this.
  7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 15, 2019

I’ve bought new in France and Germany. I did well. You need to have your price points, taxes and exchange rate homework done.

shishy likes this.
  8. arcadelt May 15, 2019

Wow, you think the Pound is weak. Not where I come from. If the price of luxury goods wasn’t jacked up so high, based on exchange rate alone Australia would be a good place to buy for a visitor, especially as you can get a 10% GST refund when exiting the country.

64A4EE38-C729-4C8F-AA92-383A760AAE9D.png