Forums Latest Members

Best place to get speemaster serviced / cleaned in NYC

1. ddc08001 Jun 5, 2015

Hello All,

Recent owner of a speedmaster pro! My tritium is flaking a little bit and I was wondering where is a trusted place to go in NYC to perhaps get my watch hands sealed as to prevent further flaking. I want to preserve my watch in as original condition as possible but I also don't want to see little bits of tritium paint all over the inside of my crystal / on my dial.

Cheers!

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 5, 2015

Tricky because one thing is service and another restauration. I've me ton Walter before. Google Walters antique watch repair. He's on 10th Street. He's an older gent and very old school watchmaker that serviced some of my watches before. You can ask him about the Lume see if he takes care of that stuff. He just took a look at my El Primero and I did ask him if he's familiar with speedmaster and he is.

He's not a corporate business watchmaker so you may come in and find he's picking up lunch etc. But he's work is very good, and he's a gentlemen.

3. ddc08001 Jun 5, 2015

awesome I'll have to check that out sometime. hopefully the rest of my lume doesn't fall off.

an opposing thought is: should I attempt keeping the tritium from flaking with some sort of seal, or should I let the watch age as is and remove flaked piece as they come? should I be concerned about paint affecting the movement?

4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 5, 2015

I hear about the nail polish solution etc but have never done it myself. In any event I would wait until you actually see some flaking. Maybe it's stabilized already.

5. ddc08001 Jun 10, 2015

@Nobel Prize do you happen to know if he can do pressure testing? I want to check to see if my speedy's gaskets are all good as well. as for flaking I have attached an image so you can see. I'm worried it will get worse.

3572 speedy 1 MARKED.jpg

6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 10, 2015

No, I don't. If he doesn't I'm pretty sure Aaron faber does.

I see about the flaking. Ask him what can be done by him or others.