Forums Latest Members
  1. rkman11 May 7, 2020

Hi everyone, wondering who has recommendations for online watch appraisers for insurance purposes? Particularly people who are trusted and have knowledge of vintage pieces. Have a few in person places I’ve used, but of course not an option right now.

Thanks in advance!

2. M'Bob May 7, 2020

I’m assuming you have a pretty accurate idea of the value already?

3. rkman11 May 7, 2020

Absolutely, but my insurance company requires the paperwork from an appraiser to add the piece to my policy.

4. Dan S May 7, 2020

Sorry to hear that. That sounds like a massive PITA. Not to mention an added expense.

rkman11 likes this.
  5. mr_smith May 7, 2020

@rkman11 my insurance company requested the same. I'm not sure of all the options out there, but I went through Elite Timepieces and had a positive experience. The biggest PITA for me was taking decent photos (trying to eliminate reflections, etc.)... I tried doing a whole setup with a camera, tripod and timer and in the end wound up just snapping pics with an iPad and submitting those - those worked just fine.

rkman11 likes this.
  6. rkman11 May 7, 2020

Sure is. I’m waiting to have another call and see what the workaround might be, given the current situation.

queriver likes this.
  7. rkman11 May 7, 2020

That’s great to hear, thanks! They were one I found online, but wasn’t sure what their experience is with vintage pieces. Can I ask if yours were vintage? And if so, do you feel they have a fair value, adding in for a year or so of growth, etc?

8. mr_smith May 7, 2020

Mine aren't vintage (2005 and later), so unfortunately I can't speak to the experience in that regard. I did find the valuation to be fair but not sure about the number of variables they consider so can't really comment on the year of growth you mention... age might have something to do with it but since mine aren't vintage, the age probably wouldn't have factored in much in my case, if at all. Whomever you go through, please let us know your experience with your vintage pieces!

rkman11 likes this.
  9. fibonacci May 7, 2020

I believe some of the auction houses offer free valuations. Maybe something you could look into.

rkman11 likes this.
  10. Evitzee May 7, 2020

They will do a free appraisal range of an item on the hopes that you will consign the piece with them, but they aren't going to put it in writing so you can go away and insure it.

11. Farmer May 7, 2020

I do valuations for watches here in Aust, mostly for Court purposes, but also for insurance. Any registered value in your area who is accredited by the Institute will be able to assist you.