Forums Latest Members
  1. Thoguz Aug 23, 2014

Hi,

I found this old watch at my parent's house. It's my grandfather's old watch, which he traded from a (what rumours says American) soldier during WW2. The watch has not been worn since the 70s, and even though I know I shouldn't have touched anything before having it serviced, I tried to wind it and it worked. It actually just stopped, 24h since winding.

With my limited knowledge, I would believe it is a watch from Universal Geneve, but I don't know anything more. The case diameter is 35mm. Plain/blank back.

Anyone have any thoughts about this old watch? I'm planning to bring it to a watchmaker during the coming week.

photo-1.JPG

2. Noodia Aug 23, 2014

Thoughts ?
    Yes it is reasonable to think it's a UG signed Berthoud, comparable to the early Compur maybe from the late 30s.
    This ones seems fully original and untouched, a view of the movement and the inner case back could maybe help to tell more.
    A lovely one, the dial layout is very nice, I've always had a big crush for these flat bezel cases, a very nice find !
    Take great care of the watchmaker who will work on this one, it deserves a talented professional.

Speaking about Berthoud, here's an early waterproof case (38mm diam.) with a smashing Breguet indexes black dial I've crossed some time ago, sorry for the poor photo but thought this one had to be shared here and this is the only view I have

[​IMG]

cheers,

Laurent

Chrobar and LouS like this.
  3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 23, 2014

As stated in an earlier post by the very wise user Lous:

"According to Sala, Louis Berthoud was the third principal in the Universal watch company, becoming Ulysse Perret's partner after the death of NUma Descombes in 1897, and "Perret & Berthoud" became the holder of all Universal patents, and ultimately became Universal Geneve. It's not clear (to me anyway) why Berthoud was used as a brand name in parallel with Universal - different market segments perhaps - like Omega and Tissot?"

I'd say you have an excellent watch there, really beautiful!

Here is one I use to own:

[​IMG]

Chrobar likes this.
  4. Thoguz Sep 2, 2014

Here comes a photo of the clockwork, calibre 385. The inner case back says Berthoud Geneve, 385, and some serial numbers. The watchmaker that looked at it said the clock is in good condition, but the glass can't be original (because it's glass and not plastic). I left it with the watchmaker for a full service, which he thought would take approx. 3 months.

urverk2.jpg
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 3, 2014

"I left it with the watchmaker for a full service, which he thought would take approx. 3 months."

Using Google translation software, with the settings from "Watchmaker" to "English", that means that you should have it back in roughly five to seven months. :p

Syrte and LarryG like this.
  6. Honeyb213 Sep 4, 2014

I too own a Berthoud chronograph with the cal 385 movement. I recently had it overhauled.. Unfortunately, I'm missing the start/stop pusher. Can anyone suggest where I Might find a spare? image.jpg image.jpg

7. woodwkr2 Sep 6, 2014

Beautiful dial. What are the dimensions of the case?

It looks like your metal band is a bit undersized. Maybe that's just the pictures, but be careful that you're not destroying the lugs by metal-on-metal grinding every time you move your wrist. I personally love these on leather straps, but just my personal preferences.

Spare case parts are notoriously difficult to locate. I'd suggest that your best bet is to buy a parts watch on the Bay. GL

8. notaroaugelli Sep 7, 2014

Hello, this is my Berthoud of 1938. Very nice, not as Universal watch!
    [​IMG]

9. Thoguz Nov 28, 2014

The watch is now ready, and I'm very pleased with the result! The glass (plastic) is replaced, the rest is kept original.

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Markbone1, Mark020, filmir and 9 others like this.
  10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 28, 2014

that turned out rather well - kudos on reviving grand-dad's watch

11. cristos71 Nov 28, 2014

Looks fantastic! I'd personally love to see it on a nice old 1940 s steel band of some kind or the other, I love that look :)

12. woodwkr2 Dec 2, 2014

Beautiful! My vote's for a leather strap. If only all of our vintage watches came with that sort of provenance. Cheers, sir.

13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 18, 2016

Resurrecting this old thread as I do a bit of research into Berthoud branded watches.. latest acquisition. While not a lovely chrono - and the watches posted here are lovely! - this is still a very nice little watch.

Nomos anyone?

IMG_20160118_095107.jpg

Markbone1 and aap like this.
  14. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 18, 2016

Here is mine. Cal 385. UG ref 7066. 1938ish serial. Sala touches the brand in his book, but the exact relations between UG and Berthoud is still a bit unclear for me.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I'm