Forums Latest Members
  1. Peppe May 2, 2014

Hi

Need some advice from you on a topic that I know has been discussed a lot before, but I simply cannot get a clear picture. I like to buy a good springbar tool and have got stuck on Bergeon; but the question is which one to get.

I will most likely not change straps/bracelets very often, but I like to make it as simple as possible when I do it. I think I will change mainly straps, but would not like to exclude the possibility of also using it for bracelets. I don't like to spend too much since they will not be used on a daily basis.

Is the 6111 the best choice for me or should I go for 6777 and in such case which one (f or s)? Should I top up with a narrower/wider tool and in such case which one is is that I should buy? What do I need??

Appreciate the input!

2. woodwkr2 May 2, 2014

You want the 6111. If you change straps frequently or enjoy well made tools, then go for the Bergeon one. I've used the generic versions that run about $8 for many years with no problems. The quality of the steel isn't great, but if you touch up the tips on an Arkansas stone, they work well enough. Or... buy the generic one and add the Swiss (Bergeon branded) replacement tips.

Many options. Some people around here will frown on the generic ones arguing that you need a nice tool to work on watches. I couldn't agree more with most watch items (screwdrivers, case wrenches, etc). But as with all tools, it's the experience of the user that makes the difference. A beginner with a nice tool is riskier than a pro with a generic tool every day of the week.

citizenrich and UncleBuck like this.
  3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 2, 2014

Great quote!
    I'll add, "a beginner with a generic tool is the riskiest of them all !"

4. Peppe May 3, 2014

I would not argue with that but still you need to start somewhere, right :) I naturally intend to do so with some old crappy watches lying around before I stard messing with my new FOIS. Hopefully over time I will get a few more watches and then get more use for the tool.

My question is rather if, considering my needs, I would be better off buying one rather than the other set up looking at what they can be used for, user friendiness, cost etc.

5. woodwkr2 May 3, 2014

With all of the discussion, it seems you're unsure about the right solution. I wouldn't let this decision eat you up. The nicest version of the tool comes to a whopping $40. I'd suggest that your time is more valuable than the difference in cost. So get it and enjoy changing some bands.

Your thoughts of practicing on a couple crappy watches are well considered no matter what tool you get.

6. Peppe May 3, 2014

:) you are off course correct... I should not let it consume too much of my time... I know that... but this is unfortunately a problem that I am born with :) I always love the chase for maximum bang for the buck and I can spend so much time in that phase that sometimes I don't close a deal! :)

But... just to take one step closer to a healthy life... I promise I will simply make my mind up tonight and order.... strange feeling for me. :)

Thank you for the free therapy session! :)

7. VictorAlpha May 24, 2014

A bit late to this thread but Ofrei does sell a cheaper version of the bergeon 6111 that they say is identical and made in the same factory just without the Bergeon name. I bought this one to change straps on my SM300. Thinned out the wide tip on a waterstone and polished it up to mirror because the 300 has a finely brushed surface inside the lug.

8. Peppe May 24, 2014

Thanks for the advice! I did however order a 6767f right away from e-bay. Found a place that had a drive on them, so I got away with a low price! Saw the ones you mention as well, but the freight would have killed the price for me.

Thanks anyway!

9. VictorAlpha May 25, 2014

Gotcha on the freight issue. Factor shipping in and a horrendous exchange of over 10 to 1 and there aren't really any bargain deals to be had!

10. Peppe May 25, 2014

Exactly. Bought mine freight included from France at more or less the same bottom line price as the "copy" you referred to. So in this specific case I did pretty well, but that was just pure luck as all others are more or less the same price once you get it delivered.