Forums Latest Members

FS Benrus Sky Chief Jumbo 38mm Valjoux 71 Rotating Bezel GH4 - WW2 Inscription

1. waXology Dec 6, 2018

It's time to part with my last vintage Benrus Sky Chief which I enjoyed hunting for a few years. This is Valjoux 71 model which was owned by Lieutenant Commander Arthur Wachtel (US Navy) who served in WW2 and the Korean War.

IMG_1970.jpg

arthur.jpg

The watch came with the metal bracelet you see above and will be included. Watch has been serviced by my watchmaker in the past and runs well.

IMG_1961.JPG

The rear of the watch has the inscription "Arthur Wachtel USNR" from the research we can find only one Arthur Wachtel from the US Navy. SEE HERE. He appears to have served in WW2 and also the Korean War. The time period fits and it looks like he would have been in his late twenties at the outbreak of WW2. You can see more information about him HERE

IMG_1933.JPG

The watch comes in at 38mm so is quite large for the time period. The bezel also rotates and I can only imagine Arthur bought this for use in the Navy to time various tasks.

IMG_1965.JPG
    IMG_1967.JPG

The dial has held up well for its age and the blue steeled hands are all present. The watch comes fitted with the original mesh bracelet which looks like it was with the watch when owned by Arthur.

IMG_1950.JPG
    IMG_1962.JPG
    IMG_1931.JPG

Looking to get $2000 net to me plus shipping from London, UK.

Payment by Bank Transfer or Paypal (+fee). I have sold a few watches on here and a few other forums so have references if needed :)

I think that's everything but please reach out for more info/pics :)

Thanks

benrus1.jpg
    Edited Dec 6, 2018
    Woops, tmw57, Lonestar and 24 others like this.
  2. waXology Dec 7, 2018

bump

3. waXology Dec 10, 2018

Now up on eBayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network if anyone fancies