Forums Latest Members
  1. Ninja2789 Oct 12, 2019

Howdy All,

As the year winds down, and my collection ramps up, I'd like to consolidate a couple of watches that just don't make the wrist cycle anymore.

As a result, I'm selling one of my first vintage watches, the Benrus Exotic Camaro. This is one of the true 'poor-man's Camaro' in my book because the case comes with the same serial/case number (73343) as the Heuer Camaro.

[​IMG]

Case / Bezel:
    This is the classic 36mm Heuer Camaro Cushion case. It sounds small, but due to the cushion case style it'll wear closer to a 39mm.

The case has seen some wear. You'll find the usual light scratches and a ding here or there because this was a watch that was worn with great delight. However, despite that the lug bevels and case finish remains clean and sharp and the sunburst finish is quite pristine.

The case back has a couple of deeper scratches, no doubt due to an ill-informed attempt to open the caseback with a rusty pair of pliers. However, they are relatively light and is what can be expected for a typical vintage watch.

Dial / Handset: The dial is my favorite part about these exotic Camaros. This example has a panda dial with a dark outer tachy that provide great contrast. The original orange chrono and subdial hands really give the watch an extra pop. My favorite part is that these orange hands light up when you hit it with a UV light. Probably one of my favorite aspects of the watch.

The dial itself is in decent shape with clear printing and no degrading colors on the subdials or around the outer tachy ring. Additionally, the lume plots around the hour markers are original and intact and will only hold charge for a second when hit with the UV light.

Movement: The movement is a manual wind Valjoux 7733 movement. The movement was serviced around April 2017 and all functions work as they should (keeps time, full power reserve, chrono resets to 12).

Strap / Accessories: Watch will come with the milanese mesh metal strap in the pictures. Nice and sporty!

Disclosures:
    As a fellow collector, I want to ensure I am above board with all my sales. As such, I'd like to provide some clear disclosures.

While the dial print is great and the colors are clean, there will be light spotting throughout the dial. This is most apparent around the 4 to 6 oclock markers. I've found this only shows in certain lights, but everyone's preferences will vary.

The crown is an incorrect crown for this reference. I've thought about replacing it in the past, but I didn't think it was correct to source a Heuer stamped Camaro crown and it's been all but impossible to source a blank one.

Price:
    My price is $3200 OBO USD net to me
    . The price includes fully insured shipping in the CONUS. For all other places reach out and we can figure something out. I am located in Houston TX and am more than happy to do a face to face transaction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KJD, 0uss, Lonestar and 2 others like this.
  2. sdre Oct 12, 2019

As i understand it, exotic dials on Camaro style cases always fetch a premium. Glws!

3. Ninja2789 Oct 13, 2019

they generally are just because they are so much more interesting IMHO.

The funny thing is that I was always a bit gun shy with these Camaros because I wasn’t sure how the unusual cushion case would fit. However I’ve really grown to love this reference because of just how unique the whole package is put together. Interesting dial, interesting hands, interesting case.

happy to provide more pics to those that need it. Just dm me.

Lonestar and sdre like this.
  4. Ninja2789 Oct 18, 2019

Bump

5. Ninja2789 Oct 27, 2019

Bump

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 27, 2019

Panda not exotic.

7. Ninja2789 Nov 3, 2019

its cool. This particular dial is a panda example but it’s technically also considered an “exotic” example. Generally these exotics will include a colored tachy and orange chrono/subdial hands.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 3, 2019

Then whoever named it the exotic clearly does not understand the general difference between a panda and an exotic, as exotic generally means a very specific style of dial and sub dials in an art deco style. Its the difference between the Paul Newman Dial Daytonas aka Exotic dials and panda dials.

9. Ninja2789 Jan 3, 2020

Bump

10. Ninja2789 Mar 24, 2020

Apologies. Sold this last month and forgot to update. Hope everyone is safe.

SteveP likes this.
  11. SteveP Mar 25, 2020

I've just caught up on this post. While that may be how it is used in the Rolex arena, for Heuers the term 'exotic' has long been used to identify a number of the more colourful models. As such this Benrus would certainly be identified as an Exotic model by Heuer fans.

Some would call this a panda also but that is generally reserved for light dial and black (not grey) subdials.

AFAIK both terms are unofficial and merely attributed by fans/collectors so I'd say its horses for courses!
    Steve