Forums Latest Members

Believe it or Not... a Gift From My Wife.

1. Father Time Jun 8, 2017

I posted this elsewhere so please bear with...

New Arrival... You Might Be Just as Surprised As I Was...

Better grab a cup 'o Joe for this one..:

I got a, "surprise, just because" present from the wife today!! My local AD (we have become quite good friends!) just got this in and the owner promised to give me a call when he received it. I really was not particularly interested in purchasing... I just wanted to see it, hold it and play with it. He told me, he had a buyer upon it's arrival and if they didn't take it..., he would!

My wife just happened to be in the store when it arrived. They unboxed it and everyone was gathered around for the big unveiling. The owner told my wife, he was going to give me a call because I asked to see it when it arrived. She looked at it, he explained a few things about the watch and she said, "Wrap it up - I'll take it"! The watch was in the store for about 30 minutes! He told her it was the first one delivered in the State.

What a present, indeed! She told me she can never surprise me, but she thought this just might. They wrapped it in an oversize box, so I had no idea it was even a watch! She brought it home, I opened it and saw it was a TAG. My eyebrows went up and I immediately thought Carrera... but little did I know! Yep..., a TAG Heuer Carerra Tourbillon Chronograph that is also COSC Certified. It is my first TAG, so I guess I have jumped in the deep end with both feet! A 65 hour power reserve, 33 jewels with a depth rating of 100 meters, which I found all to be quite amazing.

First impressions are quite good. My wife mentioned that it was quite shiny (she likes the shiny!) The way the hour indices are cut to catch the light for readability, because it is a rather busy dial. The contrasting SS Lugs against the ceramic bezel and grade 5 Titanium case. It all goes together rather nicely and compliments the overall design. Then, of course, I could just stare at that Tourbillon cage rotating around every 60 seconds..., forever! A completely in house tourbillon movement, the Heuer-02T is based off of the Heuer CH80. The strap is alligator sewn over a rubber/silicone backing and having a Titanium deployant clasp. Solid end links that make the strap look dedicated but these can be removed and something more standard used (I may be checking this out very soon). Very comfortable strap, especially with summer coming up!

If I had one complaint it would be the box presentation. Used to Omega boxes and a few others.the Now, I know the majority of the members on here do not particularly care what the box is, but I like to be Wowed! Especially for a watch as nice as this! I feel TAG should have "thought outside the box" and come up with something much nicer! I believe it is an upgraded standard run of the mill TAG box. The actual watch box appears to be made of wood with some grain showing. While I'm at it, the accompanying paperwork leaves a lot to be desired as well. Sure the standard credit card for warranty and COSC Cert, just thrown in loosely (no holder ala Omega, Rolex, etc). The manual is pretty generic, in the usual 20 languages with only about 10 pages devoted to any particular one. I just expect a better presentation and more model specific.

I have always wanted a Tourbillon movement added to the collection... even considered a Chinese movement. Then I heard TAG was coming out with one, but figured, nah, no way! Now I have one... thanx to my dear wife..., Whodathunkit??!!

I guess, I better get on with the money shots (sorry for the Q&D cell phone shots):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and, Sorry to get so windy on everyone and thanx for your patience!

Tab, WYO_Watch, omegasaso12 and 26 others like this.
  2. epcwks Jun 8, 2017

Does your wife have any sisters per chance?

IDXM, Timmert, isaac.owen.nz and 13 others like this.
  3. Father Time Jun 8, 2017

Yes, both married... sorry.

Euxinus and McJamesT like this.
  4. khanmu Jun 8, 2017

Any chance you could get her to have a chat with mien please!!

5. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jun 8, 2017

Great watch...greater story...greatest wife! Congrats

BreitLight, Father Time and Syrte like this.
  6. Vulffi Jun 8, 2017

In our family it is the other way around... I buy watches to the rest of the family :). Great wife ! Great watch!

Father Time likes this.
  7. corn18 Jun 8, 2017

Happily?

Timmert, pault8084, Larry S and 8 others like this.
  8. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Jun 8, 2017

That's an awesome gift! Thank you for the review and photos. I'm looking forward to seeing many more. You definitely have a great wife :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Father Time likes this.
  9. jud Jun 8, 2017

Great story. Cool wife. Sweet watch.

Father Time likes this.
  10. Bushido Jun 8, 2017

Congratulations! The Heuer 02Ts are really something awesome in my opinion. Sporty and attractive at a glance but with the high sophistication of a tourbillon! That's an awesome surprise gift from a fantastic wife!!

What are your first impressions on comfort on the wrist?

Father Time likes this.
  11. cvera Jun 9, 2017

Awesome post. Awesome watch.

I'm going to remind my girlfriend about stories like this until she surprises me with a watch. Worth a shot haha.

Father Time likes this.
  12. Father Time Jun 9, 2017

Thanx everyone for all of the nice comments!

Thank you Bushido. It is incredibly comfortable and with the Grade 5 titanium, it is extremely light and when teamed with the alligator/rubber strap, it is probably the most comfortable watch I own!

The Tourbillion is so mesmerizing... I can't keep from staring at it!

Bushido likes this.
  13. herold Jun 9, 2017

Congratulations!

Father Time likes this.
  14. ConElPueblo Jun 9, 2017

Have just forwarded a link to this thread to my GF :D

...Have tried it more than a few times before, haven't worked yet :(

OP: Congrats a cool present and a wonderful wife :thumbsup:

lillatroll and Father Time like this.
  15. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 9, 2017

Blimey! What a wonderful watch! What a wonderful wife!

Father Time likes this.
  16. nixf6 Jun 9, 2017

Great watch,
    Great Wife

Father Time likes this.
  17. McJamesT Jun 9, 2017

Beautiful! Wear it in good health and sounds like you married a great woman! Lucky guy

Father Time likes this.
  18. Thrasher36 Jun 9, 2017

I wish!!!!

Father Time likes this.
  19. Wing Zero Jun 9, 2017

Great story and the watch looks great too. It reminds me of Hublot a bit.

Father Time likes this.
  20. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 9, 2017

I really hope you are putting a serious effort into keeping that girl very, very happy.

Father Time likes this.