Forums Latest Members

Being careful – guarding your watches in the big bad world.

1. Omegafanman Mar 8, 2019

Times are tough and not everyone you meet is as generous, honest and polite as the fine gentlemen and lady members of the Omega forum. The fact Omega is understated means anyone who really knows your watch is probably someone worth talking to and I feel a lot safer walking around London, Berlin or Amsterdam at 3am with a DSOTM than I would wearing say a Sky dweller. Individually I don’t think I have any big-ticket items but all sold they could attract the wrong sort of attention. I don’t keep my watches in one place and the majority are in secure storage so I rotate them and very rarely have them all in one location which is a shame. Of course, I have all the serial numbers recorded and some are registered on the Omega website (I don’t think you can register vintage yet).
    Am I being over cautious / what does the community think – we all share a lot of information on here and some of you have some amazing rare high value pieces. It is a bit like scratches, they are made to be worn and enjoyed …. but I still have my G -shock for any activity which is too crazy – where to draw the line?

01.jpg
    ajn3323, superfly, flw and 3 others like this.
  2. DiiQue I don't believe that is possible. Mar 8, 2019

I think there really is no wrong or right answer to where one would "draw his/her line". I say go with what makes you happy and sleep well at night. In the end, the most important thing is that you get to enjoy your watch(es) when you want to.

With that being said, you have to know your location and always be vigilant, wherever you may be.

3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Mar 8, 2019

^this^

Thrasher36 likes this.
  4. Omegafanman Mar 8, 2019

I agree to a degree but it is a very mobile world these days and the trouble is when other people also know your location :0) I think you just need to keep it in mind without going over the top.

5. asrnj77 Mar 8, 2019

I think potentially the Rolex could draw a mugger to you if they see something obvious like a Submariner or gold day date. But the mugger who wants your wallet at 3am is likely going to take any watch you have and figure it out later.

Try to avoid riskier situations, get insurance, and remember it’s only a watch. It’s not worth your life

Syrte, robinhook, Faz and 5 others like this.
  6. Omegafanman Mar 8, 2019

Sound advice and I think certain watches make you more of a target and need extra care....''The pair demanded Mr ???? Rolex watch and when he refused he was chased, stabbed repeatedly and shot at, with the whole attack witnessed by his terrified friends and partner.It was only when his girlfriend shouted out that she'd give them the watch, that they stopped their remorseless attack."Without a hint of compassion they grabbed the Rolex and fled the scene."

7. Omegafanman Mar 8, 2019

I take my chances and the street like everyone else - its the home storage issue which gave me worries plus the fact I travel. That is why I went the secure storage route.

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 8, 2019

Given the fact that Rolex has gotten so stingy with dealer stock, I pity the bastard who tries to take mine.
    8FEA0E92-C448-435B-8FB2-E0AF241883FA.jpeg

9. gostang9 Mar 8, 2019

Agree, and also have to realize that sometimes sh*t happens you cannot predict, so this is also very true...

10. GMTspeedmaster Mar 8, 2019

I think you just need to be aware of your environment.

i20rider and Thrasher36 like this.
  11. Omegafanman Mar 8, 2019

Well said :0)

12. cjoedaniel Mar 8, 2019

I added my watch to my insurance policy for more piece of mind..

Omegafanman likes this.
  13. Thrasher36 Mar 8, 2019

I put mine in a safe when I go on Vacation otherwise I feel Safe in my Home.

14. snake.doctor Mar 8, 2019

Use your brain and always keep situational awareness. You can avoid a lot of trouble just by thinking...

15. alam Mar 8, 2019

I tell my two sons, you go where trouble is and you will find trouble...

16. Dan S Mar 8, 2019

An acquaintance had his 1966/67 Rolex GMT (ref 1675) stolen while on vacation in Buenos Aires. Heartbreaking for him, since he had worn that watch since he purchased while on active duty in Viet Nam. Interesting story actually, he originally had it on a ref 7206 rivet bracelet, but he says that the clasp popped open during a firefight and damaged the bracelet, and he almost lost the watch. Afterwards, he put it on a ref 9315 diving bracelet with a flip lock clasp. He still has the damaged 7206, but he won't sell it to me.

17. MrJKLFoams Mar 8, 2019

Mine goes to the bank safe dont mind paying monthly fee as long as they’re safe. Unless joker rob the bank then Im screwed.

18. Evitzee Mar 8, 2019

It all depends on your personal situation and environment. I live in a pretty safe, moderate sized city, those that live in high rises in big cities have different situations. When I'm out and about I keep aware of where I am. In a couple of weeks I'm going to a concert in a large city and will park in the garage next door. I won't be wearing a super expensive watch to that event, just common sense.

19. i20rider Mar 8, 2019

I say carry if you can. If you are unable just be on a swivel ,Generally you can see a bad situation before it gets to you.

sah and Waltesefalcon like this.
  20. i20rider Mar 8, 2019

Some times no matter how hard you avoid it. Trouble still finds you.