Forums Latest Members

Before & After Scratch Photos On My Speedy

1. DocHolliday Dec 18, 2014

So many of you know I just picked up my first 3570.50 Speedy. But there was one little problem... A few scratches were staring at me right above the 11:00 position. They taunted, and laughed at me( I even heard one of them say something foul about my mother.) Something had to be done. I couldn't stand having these loitering punks on my wrist. So I did my research and found what you all already know to be the savior of the day, Polywatch. Here are some photos of my before/after photos. Hope you enjoy.

1. Before Photo: There are those little buggers above the 11:00 Position.

IMG_2790.jpg

2. Scotch Tape to protect the best from the abrasive texture of Polywatch. I think next time I'll use black electrical tape.
    IMG_2805.jpg

3. All taped up. Do not rush this part. The last thing you want is a scratched up bezel!
    IMG_2793.jpg

4. Gloop it on the Hesalite Crystal. People aren't kidding when they say "use elbow grease" It says to buff in for 2-3 minutes; I did a full 3. Inspected, and I still saw hairline scratches so you know what that means! Polywatch, repeat. I wiped the sweat beads off my heads. everything looked good. Tip: Use the stopwatch provided on your speedy!
    IMG_2796.jpg

5. Coffee Slurp
    Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 12.42.27 PM.png

6. Carefully take the tape off. Regardless of it being super thick scotch tape I was still very careful to take my time.
    *No Bezels were harmed during this production*
    IMG_2797.jpg

7. After Photo: All scratches looked to be buffed out. I couldn't be more happy with the results. I used the timer and forgot to turn it off. Here are all my hands waving at you(completely unintentional) Wave back!
    IMG_2798.jpg

8. After Photo: Full Crystal Polish. Shiny!
    IMG_2799.JPG

9. Nothing to do with the front. I just like how this shot came out.

IMG_2800.jpg

10. Ending on a nice even number. Changed the bracelet out to a nato. I hope you enjoyed this thread!
    Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 12.59.58 PM.png

Edited Dec 18, 2014
    RMA, GordonL, Nobel Prize and 9 others like this.
  2. RCAFBuster Dec 18, 2014

Nicely done.

DocHolliday likes this.
  3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Dec 18, 2014

Well done :thumbsup:

DocHolliday likes this.
  4. DJP Dec 18, 2014

Good work. I'm afraid I chickened out and had my done at a local watch repairers. Cost £14. Ouch but it's done. For now anyway!

DocHolliday likes this.
  5. DocHolliday Dec 18, 2014

Thanks all!

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 18, 2014

Be careful with tape on older bezels, you might just lift off some of the paint.

m84 and DocHolliday like this.
  7. DocHolliday Dec 18, 2014

Thanks for the tip! Good thing this one's basically new! But now the addiction has started I'll put this in my notes.

8. repoman Dec 18, 2014

I'm sending all my polishing work to you from now on. Well done, watch looks great.

DocHolliday likes this.
  9. DocHolliday Dec 18, 2014

Thanks @repoman! Send them right over! I'll make sure they find a nice home.. Oh I mean polishing. Yes.... Polishing.
    dr-evil.jpg

10. snick777 Dec 18, 2014

Bravo!

DocHolliday likes this.
  11. Hijak Dec 19, 2014

Nice results RR.:thumbsup: I do this all of the time, nothing to be afraid of as long as the watch is protected. And the use of masking tape is much safer for the print on your speedmaster.

DocHolliday likes this.
  12. iLuveketchup Dec 19, 2014

Great results! What did you use to rub the Polywatch on the crystal? Was it just a regular microfiber cloth or some high grit wool? Also, I recommend blue painters tape for masking. Although I'm still paranoid about lifting the bezel's paint.

13. DocHolliday Dec 19, 2014

@Hijak, next time I'm using masking tape next time. I was paranoid from the pull of the scotch tape.

@iLuveketchup , first off. Love the name(your avatar makes it) I used an super soft microfiber cloth. I've also read using a 100% old cotton teeshirt works really well.

14. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 20, 2014

I use those circular cotton wool pads that they sell for taking off make-up. They might absorb more of the Polywatch but there is absolutely no abrasion.

DocHolliday likes this.
  15. Kizzi Dec 20, 2014

I've used superfine sandpaper from TAMIYA, which is the only way to remove the deeper scratches. It's used by modellers before they want to get a chrome finish with spray paint.

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM87058/Sup

It really is superfine, feels as smooth as paper. It gives the hesalite an even hazed appearance, then just a small drop of Polywatch does its magic and the hesalite shines as bright as a star!

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 20, 2014

Just a few polishing tips for acrylic crystals...

If the scratches are deep, don't be afraid of using some sandpaper to remove deeper scratches. With thick dive watch crystals, I have gone a coarse as 400 grit wet/dry paper. If you are using more than just Polywatch (which is a final polish) then as with any type of polishing operation, make sure as you move up from one grade of sandpaper to another, that you remove all the scratches from the previous grit before you start the next one.

The crystal will look worse before it looks better:

[​IMG]

But as you move up in grit it will start to clear:

[​IMG]

And the final result you can barely tell there is a crystal there:

[​IMG]

To show the extent of the scratches more clearly, removing the movement and holding it up to a light (backlit) shows how bad things really are:

[​IMG]

After it is much improved, but not perfect since some of the marks on this one were more like deep gouges:

[​IMG]

My client was very happy that I was able to preserve the original crystal. So assembled the watch looked like this to start:

[​IMG]

And this after a complete service, including polishing the crystal (but not the case of course):

[​IMG]

The idea of using a cotton ball for applying Polywatch is a good one, and that is what I do. In fact I don't throw out the cotton ball after I've used it, and I store it in a plastic bag (to keep it from drying out and to keep it from being contaminated) and put it in a drawer in my bench. When I have a light polishing job, I just pull out that cotton ball, and it is already "charged" with abrasive, and I can polish light scratches off without opening the Polywatch tube at all. I will use the same cotton ball for a couple of months, and it will become well charged after many uses. Unless it starts to break down, it can be used for a long time. This saves on the amount of Polywatch you use, and makes a quick polish even quicker.

Cheers, Al

17. DocHolliday Dec 20, 2014

@Archer , I think I'll buy a beater watch to practice. I'm not afraid.... Well sorta. :whistling:

18. flyingout Dec 20, 2014

Is this type of polishing something that should be done rarely, i.e., once lots of scratches have accumulated? Or can it be done more frequently, at any sign of a scratch?

My brand new 54 year old watch, which I plan to introduce to the group soon (though my avatar gives it away) just came back from service with a new crystal. Simply setting it face down to photograph the back lightly scratched the crystal in several places. I didn't know it was that easy to do. I've had only sapphire crystals prior to this. I'm almost afraid to wear the thing now. Of course I will become less sensitive over time, but this is day two.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 21, 2014

Any polishing removes material, but using Polywatch on it's own every so often is not going to remove a lot. More extreme polishing like I showed above is not something that can be done often.

Cheers, Al

20. flyingout Dec 21, 2014

Cool. Thanks Al