Forums Latest Members

Because We Need To Talk About It

1. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 30, 2016

So we all know what Carrie Fisher was famous for right? But did you know what else she was? She was a Mental Health Advocate and she had a mental illness, she suffered from bipolar disorder.

Well guess what, I have a mental illness too. I battle depression, more specifically MDD or Major Depressive Disorder. It’s a disease, like heart disease or diabetes, treatable but not curable and most commonly thought to be linked to an imbalance of chemicals in the brain, affecting 19 million Americans and 350 million worldwide.

It’s something I’ve battled most of my life in one form or another, although I didn’t have a name or diagnosis for it until my mid thirties. Held in check for many years by antidepressant medication, it descended upon me in 2016 with a viciousness, like never before. It’s been brutal and debilitating, with unbearable darkness, sucking every bit of joy from my life.

One thing depression doesn’t do is discriminate. It doesn’t care how old you are or where you live, how much money you make or what color you are, it doesn’t care if you are a man or a woman or what kind of watch you wear, it's an equal opportunity disease.

Depression is also one of the leading causes for suicide. Yes, I know people who have survived an attempt; they simply couldn’t bear the torment anymore. Would I ever try, no, but that’s not to say I haven’t thought about it. Yes, it can get that dark, a pervasive feeling of inexplicable sadness, hopelessness and despair day after day, week after week, I have been there and I hope I never go there again.

Am I well now, honestly, no, am I better than I was earlier in the year, yes, will I be on medication for the rest of my life probably, but it beats the alternative (see above).

So what’s my point?

Talk about it.

If you or someone you know may be suffering from depression, or any other mental illness there is help. Is it easy, fuck no, I battle every day, I’m still trying to find medication(s) to make it more tolerable, I see a psychiatrist, I talk to a therapist, I talk about it with friends and family and I go to a support group, it all helps.

And last but not least it's nothing to be ashamed of, it's not a weakness or a defect it's just part of some of us.

Here are some links for anyone who needs help or wants answers:

NAMI - National Alliance on Mental Illness - http://www.nami.org

DBSA - Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance - http://www.dbsalliance.org

Edited Dec 30, 2016
  2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 30, 2016

Thank you for sharing. It is so important that people with loved experience speak up.

Vaeros, chronos, nttisch23 and 5 others like this.
  3. Riviera Paradise Dec 30, 2016

I have a close relative who has been fighting depression since his late teens, now in his forties. Thanks @X350 XJR so much for posting this text: an excellent thing to do.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Shame I can only do one like!

We do need to take depression seriously...as you so clearly state...it is a very, very difficult chronic disease. It is certainly NOT something that you can just wish away with a stiff upper lip and a more positive attitude to life, as some trivialize.

I wish you all the best for 2017 mate!

4. PeteInNYC Dec 30, 2016

Very courageous of you to share your experience. I hope you have a great 2017. Happy New Year to you and yours.

5. Flingit1200s Dec 30, 2016

@X350 XJR I "smell what you're stepping in" brother. Depression is one of my challenges in life and I see my father battle with the same. I don't hide my challenge with depression from others BUT I also don't use it as a crutch. It takes constant effort to stay in front of but that is no different than others who battle other things in their life. Make 2017 better my friend!

John

Edited Dec 30, 2016
  6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 30, 2016

Norman, my heart's out to you. Thanks for the beautiful insight into life's challenge
    Depression has ripped my family down the middle, it hurts us so.

You are on my "Good One" list and I always appreciate your expertise and excellent taste.
    We gather up and press on.

blubarb, Stumbellina and Kreindog24 like this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 30, 2016

I really couldn't understand how someone could have "depression".
    I used to think it was like having a bad mood, and getting over it the next day.
    I know that after my divorce I was extremely down and depressed, but I eventually got over it.

Now knowing what depression (the clinical definition) really is it completely changes the way I see people suffering from this condition.

Thanks for the wake up call Norm.

machamp6650, felsby, DaveK and 5 others like this.
  8. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 30, 2016

Very inspiring post. Life's obstacles come in many forms, but we can come together and support the problems at hand instead of alienating ourselves...

Best of wishes to you and your family Norman. Let's enter 2017 with a head of steam & an unstoppable mindset.

Thank you for your inspiring words & please remember we are in this together. The human experience binds us all at our core.

Sincerely,

Thomas

mistexbs, citizenrich, Omega1 and 2 others like this.
  9. Schmedsc Dec 30, 2016

Thank you for your insight. This forum is much more than just "watch talk". I wish you the best with your treatment and a much better 2017.

Kevin

citizenrich likes this.
  10. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Dec 30, 2016

My vote for best post of the year....and just in time. Thank you for sharing Norman.

11. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Dec 30, 2016

Thanks for sharing. Talking about it really shows you're in control of your disease, and that's awesome. I hope all the best for you in the coming year. Happy 2017 :)

citizenrich and watchknut like this.
  12. Hijak Dec 30, 2016

It seemed you hadn't been around for a while Norman, I've always thought of you as one of the good guys around here and was missing your posts. Am sorry to hear of your pain but glad you are speaking up about it. I wish you a healthy and happy 2017 and beyond!

Your Friend,
    Ed

YYTIN, Garv, Kreindog24 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Moppel Dec 31, 2016

My sincere respect for this post.
    Despite all the anonymity that the Internet provides, it takes a lot of courage to stand up and write this to all of us.
    All the best to you.

Best regards from Germany.
    Thomas

YYTIN, mistexbs, citizenrich and 3 others like this.
  14. SeanO Dec 31, 2016

It sucks. That 12 or so months while you/the doctor find a medication that works whilst still leaving you with the will to live saps your strength.

Then the drugs take your libido and your ability to focus from you.

Good luck

citizenrich and Stumbellina like this.
  15. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Dec 31, 2016

Best wishes for you Norman in 2017!

citizenrich likes this.
  16. Edward53 Dec 31, 2016

I applaud your courage in coming out with this. An organic mental disorder such as depression is a disability, no different from being a diabetic or having a leg missing. In some ways it's harder because people can understand diabetes and see the missing leg, but they can't see depression and sometimes they think you're just being difficult when you're really trying your best. Of course there's nothing to be ashamed of and no sensible person would see it as such. I sympathise and hope there will be more good days to carry you through the bad ones.

17. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Dec 31, 2016

I also remember my shock when learning that one of my all time heroes Stephen Fry had attempted suicide several times because of this condition.

All the best to all you guys in 2017.

citizenrich and Stumbellina like this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 31, 2016

19. lillatroll Dec 31, 2016

All the very best to you. I hope the good days outweigh the bad ones, it must have taken a lot of courage for you to sit down and write your post. All the best for the future.
    Kind regards
    Stuart

20. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Dec 31, 2016

Norm, wishing you a much improved 2017. Thanks for sharing your story.

All the best,
    Tony

citizenrich and ICONO like this.