Forums Latest Members

SOLD Beautiful Vintage (early '50s) CYMA Watersport with an Uncommon Dial

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 9, 2021

There is a subset of vintage collectors who have been attracted to CYMA for many years, and I count myself among them. It is one of those "mid-tier" companies that arguably produced watches that often "punched above their weight". Which is to say that they produced some very attractive, high-quality watches that could reasonably be compared with those produced by some of the better known, more fashionable brands. And the watch that I am offering here is a really nice example.

[​IMG]

This is a hand-wind watch in a full steel case. It is in very good to excellent overall condition. The 34.5mm screw-back case is unpolished, and very well preserved for its age. The original vertical brushing of the mid-case contrasts nicely with the upper and lower parts, and the only notable flaws are a few very small, relatively light scratches on the case back. The unsigned crown is original.

The dial is is a real treat. It is white, and the hour indexes sit on a silver ring of concentric circles. The design is interesting not only because it is uncommon, but also because a good deal of thought went into it. There is a fairly wide outer register, on which the minute indexes are printed, but also good-sized radium plots at 3, 6, 9, and 12. There are corresponding, albeit smaller radium plots nestled into the arrowhead markers which punctuate the other eight hours. The simple sub-second dial is large, and a reminder of the transition from pocket watches to wrist watches that was (then rapidly) taking place. Note that this unusual dial style also, in my view, has the effect of allowing the watch to wear a bit bigger than its case dimensions. I think that it has something to do with the space outside of the hour track.

The hands show some oxidation, which is fairly typical of watches from this period. There are very narrow lume paths which match the plots on the dial very well, but I am not certain that the hand lume is original.

The movement is a 17 jewel, 10.5 ligne CYMA cal. 458, with the Cymaflex-II shock protection. It had an original power reserve of 42 hours. It is working properly, but hasn't been timed, and I would, as always, suggest a service for regular use. This example features a nice Côtes de Genève finish, which punctuates the overall quality of this particular watch. You can read about about CYMA's Anti-Shock device here:

[​IMG]

I ask €575 (or USD equivalent) for this fine CYMA, and will include EMS express shipping from my home in Portugal. For European collectors, I would prefer a bank transfer, but will consider Paypal in any case.

Feel free to ask any questions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KingCrouchy, Shan, rbob99 and 17 others like this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 9, 2021

OHPF! (That was fast...) :D

aap, Ted1858, JwRosenthal and 4 others like this.
  3. bardamu Feb 9, 2021

35 minutes! You should offer a premium subscription to your sale announcements :D
    Very nice, congrats to the lucky buyer :thumbsup:

Syrte, Zdzislaw and Tony C. like this.
  4. Screwbacks Feb 9, 2021

cheap and fast.:p:mad:

Zdzislaw likes this.
  5. airansun In the shuffling madness Feb 9, 2021

I don’t think anyone does more interesting for sale threads. Someone ought to string them together as a pinned thread.

:thumbsup:, @Tony C. !

pnwyankee, JwRosenthal, DaveK and 2 others like this.
  6. amcclell Feb 9, 2021

A stunning watch, Tony; your sales posts are always a pleasure to read. Congrats to the purchaser!

Syrte and JwRosenthal like this.
  7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 10, 2021

Sold! Thanks to the OF for the space, and the members for their kind comments!

Aedaxoo likes this.