Forums Latest Members

SOLD Beautiful Vintage 1940s OMEGA 30T2 w/ Deco Mirror Dial

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 16, 2019

Here's another one that you won't see every day, week, or even year. It's an early steel screw-back OMEGA from the '40s, with a very uncommon and in my view beautiful Deco dial. Another bonus is that it is large by the standards of the day, measuring 34.5mm excluding the crown.

I would say that the watch is in very good condition throughout. The steel case is actually very well preserved given its age. It is sharp and unpolished, and shows the original horizontal brushing on the sides. There are some light scratches on the case back, but given that it is a screw back, it is a minor miracle that there are no deep marks from tool abuse. The watch was worn at some time using a NATO style strap, and the typical resulting impression, albeit a rather light one, can be seen. I have no reason to believe that the unsigned crown is not original.

While the style and condition of the case would be welcomed by most collectors in any watch of this age, it's the dial that really sets this beauty apart. Not only does it feature very attractive deco-style Arabic indexes, but the matching copper colored outer register frames the dial beautifully. The pink gold colored leaf hands finish the elegant look. Please note that the dial is patinated, but it is evenly spread. It does look more pronounced in certain light and at certain angles, but the photos below show the head-on view well.

These early watches typically featured sub-dials, and this one is my favorite kind – oversized. Not only are they attractive and easier to read than the smaller ones found on later models, but they have a broad, historical significance in that they were a bridge to the pocket watches that wristwatches were rapidly replacing at the time.

Note that I believe that sub-second hand to be original. I say that because OMEGA did often use contrasting sub-second hands on dials with gold or or gold colored indexes, including on the 30T2Rg chronometres, and gold second hands were much more commonly used in gold cased watches.

The crystal has a scratch which can be seen in the dial photos between 4 and 5.

The movement is very well preserved, thanks in part to the screw back case. There are a few very light scratches, but like the case, no signs of abuse from a butcher turned watchmaker. :D It was servived recently, and is running well.

Included with the watch will be a very nice Shell Cordovan strap made by our excellent resident strap maker @jankoxxx It matches the copper accents on the dial really well. Note that it probably won't fit a larger wrist, as mine is small, but medium to small should work fine. I will also include a really nice signed OMEGA buckle from the '50s.

I ask $1250 (or EUR equivalent) or NO, and will ship EMS express at the asking price. As always, I will ship from my home in Portugal. I would prefer an EU bank transfer for this one, but may consider Paypal if necessary.

Feel free to ask and questions!

Tony C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Sep 17, 2019
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 17, 2019

Nibbles, but no firm offer yet...

3. CaptainWinsor Sep 17, 2019

Hi Tony

Love the dial and the way the numbers 4-8 are upside down. Very cool piece

Tony C. likes this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 17, 2019

Sold! Thanks to the new owner and the forum!

5. dstern Sep 17, 2019

Congrats on the sale and to the new owner.

6. shishy www.hpmor.com Sep 17, 2019

Sad I missed this...

dstern and Sidnos like this.
  7. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Sep 18, 2019

Oh, Wow, yes! Such a beaut...::love::

Missed this while on family birthday rounds, dang it, otherwise.. :taunt:

Congratulations to buyer and seller :thumbsup:

8. bgrisso Sep 18, 2019

Wow, what a dial