Forums Latest Members

Beautiful Longines 30LS - Original dial?

1. Hnansen Sep 21, 2016

Hello!

I am about to purchase a lovely vintage Longines Flagship with a 30LS movement.
    The watch seems to be in very good condition with an almost perfect dial. Only drawback, are som scratches on the back.
    I have checked the reference and the movement, and have found several other watches with the exact same dial, so i really think that the watch is 100% genuine.
    But then again, i would still like someones opinion who are more experienced when it comes to Longines :)

Ref. Nr. 104
    Cal: 30LS
    Serial: 11.646.XXX

Thanks in advance!

Fil_005.png Fil_002 (1).png Fil_001 (2).png Fil_004.png Fil_003.png
    GregH likes this.
  2. ConElPueblo Sep 21, 2016

Does the 6 o'clock marker cover the "SWISS"? Also, is it normal to have lumen on the hands and not on the dials on this reference? And are those glue spots under the 3, 5 and 6 markers?

I can't tell if it's original or not, but those few points would make me wary...

3. ConElPueblo Sep 21, 2016

Having looked at some of the photos online, it looks correct. I would assume that the dial has been cleaned at some point.

4. dodo44 Sep 21, 2016

Correct crown, sharp edges, stunning dial (as far as I can tell, it is original), clean movement. Case condition consistent with dial and movement. The only downside are the scratches on the back. I think you have a winner.

5. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Sep 21, 2016

Looks good and original to me!

Don't worry about the scratches. They look worse in the pictures than they will to your eyes.

6. Hnansen Sep 21, 2016

Thanks for your quick replies!

@ConEl: What would you think a cleaning has included? That does not counts as a redial, or anything like that?

The dial is really the selling point for me! The scratches does not really bother me. I would prefer that any day than an a over-polished one.

7. Sanmilc Sep 21, 2016

Looks nice, cleaning is not redial, I´m not sure because looks so nice that it make me doubt if it is a redial or not.

8. Hnansen Sep 21, 2016

A couple more pictures, as well as a very similar model I found on watchuseek (first picture)

image.png image.png image.png
  9. Spike Sep 21, 2016

Here's mine as a comparison but with the sub second configuration.....

image.jpeg

NT931 likes this.
  10. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Sep 21, 2016

nah impossible man it can't have been cleaned to look like that, with no evidence of any wear at all. i would say redial but very good redial you cant really get the age in the lume and not on the dial it looks like moisture patina, i would say redial but very very good redial. "Longines & Flagship" is pretty much perfect. thats the problem when you cant actually get the thing under a 40x lupe! but HEY if its debatable then who cares it looks ace go for it!

11. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Sep 21, 2016

i really like the case back haven't seen one etched into steel like that seen gold but not steel

12. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Sep 21, 2016

Here's a pre-emptive dibs if you don't bond with it...

13. Hnansen Sep 21, 2016

Thanks, Spike! Other than the sub second, I have a hard time spotting any difference at all!

@FullyWound
    Damn, that sucks.. If there is one thing I can't stand, it's radials. What makes you think so? When comparing the watch to the pictures of the almost identical models in this thread, I can't really spot any differences?

14. Spike Sep 21, 2016

Calling Dennis, calling Dennis..............

15. Spike Sep 21, 2016

image.jpeg

16. ConElPueblo Sep 21, 2016

I tried a search for the ref, which brought up the sales advert for this one. In those photos it actually looks as if there are some marks on the dial, so it isn't completely pristine. Furthermore, all the other pictures out there look exactly like this - so either it has survived a lot of years without any degradation to the dial or it has been cleaned or redialed at some point.

17. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Sep 21, 2016

You can find many Flagships from that era with pristine dials. This might be partially due to their screwback cases. Did you take a look at Spike's example? It's more or less just as pristine.

In any case, you can't call it a redial because and only because it looks... super clean. Your evidence has to be more substantial.

To me, the dial looks original - based on Flagships I've own and comparisons online. If you'd like to contest that, provide some more convincing evidence.

dodo44 likes this.
  18. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Sep 21, 2016

i dunno man intuition its way to difficult to tell without the watch but heres another im pretty sure its a redial our watchmaker thinks its all orriginal but thats kinda the point if it's SO debatable who cares it looks ace so it's fine! anyway i wasn't saying it was not NOS it could be i only THINK its a redial maybe? but who am i! (and still who cares)

look at this zenith for instance ok glue at the 6 index but that does not mean its a redial just the 6 index came off once upon a time an someone was messy AND if someone was this good and this precise with the lettering they would certainly not be sloppy with bloody glue!

then back to the lettering layout & font are perfect there is even patina aging and wear in the lettering ALSO in this watch "eggshell" gloss would be a crappy choice of redial paint as it would show up any and all imperfection Dial painters choice is the color of yours that ultra matt finish that won't highlight dents or bumps but rather cover them (thats the other reason i said redial) but STILL its impossible to tell when i sell this ill say good condition dial with some marking at 6 and is it glue? or paint bubbling? is the patina in the lettering proof of age? jesus now its all guess work....

Also who's to say its not a 20 year old Longines redial and is that still a redial?! not all dial painters are paraplegics with hammers for fists using tipex & roller

Hodinkee has a good article jump to "lume consistency" for what i was on about tho i think he's specifically meaning lume to lume consistency (i have skimmed it will go back later ::book::...) but i think with a dial that clean then so too would be the lume but i may be wrong...

thats my point... "who cares if its ace and indistinguishable..." but not cleaned...

sorry i have given you a MASSIVE photo just to be really obvious... but its not day time so its still not perfect (as a photograph) not the dial that we already know is debatable!

longines_logo_refinished.jpg SAM_5257.jpg
  19. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Sep 21, 2016

bit snotty but hey ho... my point IS you cant really and even if you COULD its debatable so who cares

to be honest i dont really believe my argument completely im just playing devils advocate.. but it raises some lovely points.

and some whiny overly aggressive bitching...

20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 21, 2016

Number one thing I look for is if the condition of the dial, case and movement are consistent. If the case is trashed, the movement multicolored (in the case of Omegas, particularly) and the dial pristine, I'm going to vote "redial" almost without exception.

Once in a while, you'll find a watch where all of the parts just look like they belong and the whole package has seen very little use over the years. Those are far more likely to be all original.

A point that I have emphasized over the years is that in order to truly judge originality of a dial, you have to see it in person. Trying to ascertain authenticity by looking at an iPhone screen capture from an eBay listing is an exercise in futility.
    gatorcpa

PS - @FullyWound - Dude, lay off the caffeine and find the punctuation buttons on your keyboard.:coffee: I got a headache just trying to read your post above.:p Either that, or limit down to 140 characters like on Twitter.