Forums Latest Members
  1. Josetete Apr 19, 2019

Hi OF, I am new in the forum. I own a vintage omega but I do not have a clue about it, as all my other watches are not more than 15 years old. It works perfectly and I really like it. I believe was from my great-grandfather.

IMG-6588.jpg
  2. Screwbacks Apr 19, 2019

could be 30T2.

that's nice fancy lugs.

Josetete likes this.
  3. Josetete Apr 19, 2019

I am scare to wear it. Do you know what year plus minus was made ?

4. Screwbacks Apr 19, 2019

there is no "swiss made" print on the dial yet. could be 30s-40s. do not attempt to open a snapback of a goldcase omega. since it's working, keep it at that. it has sentimental value being an heirloom.

murph and Josetete like this.
  5. Josetete Apr 19, 2019

Yes, I will keep it that way (close and working perfectly)...

IMG-6587.jpg IMG-6589.jpg IMG-6586.jpg
  6. JwRosenthal Apr 19, 2019

Hi Josetete and welcome!
    That watch looks to be in excellent condition and will be a joy to wear- never be afraid of wearing vintage watches once they are serviced.
    If you can show a closer sharp picture of the dial strait on and picture of the back, including any markings on the back or on the lugs that would help (if it’s solid gold it should be stamped). The information needed to get an accurate model and date are stamped inside the case and on the movement so you won’t have access to that without the right tools (don’t try as you may damage the case).
    Although it is working perfectly, the oils inside are dry as a bone and you should minimize wearing it until you can get it to a watchmaker for a cleaning and lubrication. Do not take it to your local jewelry store, nor even contemplate sending it to Omega or an Omega retailer- they may mess it up and charge a fortune. A qualified watchmaker will do a service and light case cleaning/ crystal polish (or replacement if it’s crazing or cracked). You don’t want them to touch the dial- the finish is incredibly delicate. If you let us know where you are located, someone may be able to refer a watchmaker within driving distance.

The bracelet may be aftermarket as I don’t see an Omega symbol on the clasp but if you can show a detail picture of any markings inside the clasp that would also help identify it. Watches like this commonly came on a leather strap and changing to a bracelet was fashionable in the 50’s-60’s so the bracelet may be later than the watch.

Hope this helps.

Screwbacks, murph and Josetete like this.
  7. JwRosenthal Apr 19, 2019

You beat me to it. That should go to a watchmaker for service. 18k is very soft gold and can dent easily so wear with care (no construction work). Ask your watchmaker to take a few pictures inside so we can take a peek

8. Josetete Apr 19, 2019

Hi JwRosenthal, the bracelet does not show any stamp on itself. as you said it could be aftermarket. I am located in Alicante SPAIN. Anyone knows any watchmaker for a "full service" , cleaning and lubrication. Thanks a lot in advance !!

9. JwRosenthal Apr 19, 2019

I would post a new thread in the Vintage Forum titled "Watchmakers in Spain" and see if anyone chimes in.

Josetete likes this.
  10. JwRosenthal Apr 19, 2019

And that watch you have will be an awesome regular wear for either a man or woman. You can put it on a leather strap to tone it down or keep it on the bracelet to get all the golden glory.

Josetete likes this.
  11. Josetete Apr 19, 2019

thanks a lot

12. ConElPueblo Apr 19, 2019

Hi @Josetete. Happy to hear that you're treasuring your grand- og great-grandfathers watch and wish to continue wearing it, a great way to keep the memories alive and sense the history as you live on :)

The case of your watch is probably locally made, as the hallmarks are on the outside and not Swiss hallmarks. I don't know if Spanish made watches exist, typically we see South American, American, French or English made cases, but others exist too.

EDIT: If I were to make an educated guess, I'd say that the dial has been refinished at some point, but will wait for better photos for final call ;)

murph, Screwbacks and Josetete like this.
  13. Josetete Apr 19, 2019

Hi ConElPueblo, when you said, its probably locally made and without Swiss hallmarks, you mean it is not an Omega watch? just asking. Thanks

14. Lucasssssss Apr 19, 2019

Not OP, but Omega often imported movements from Switzerland, and made the cases in the local country in order to avoid import taxes. The movements were then put in the cases and sold. This does not mean it is not an "Omega watch", just that the case was not created in Switzerland, it is still 100% an Omega watch.

Josetete likes this.
  15. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 19, 2019

Well, sometimes the case was made by a local jeweler and it is not considered as 100% Omega.

16. dputydwg1 Apr 19, 2019

Nice love it

Josetete likes this.
  17. Josetete Apr 19, 2019

I am new on this world, still learning. Thanks for the information.