Beautiful and Uncommon Vintage LONGINES Conquest (ref. 9000)

I'm going to let go of this beautiful and uncommon vintage LONGINES Conquest (ref. 9000), manufactured in 1957. While I don't expect it to last long, please read the description carefully before making a purchase decision!

The vintage Conquest line was closely analogous to the OMEGA Constellation model line, as both sat atop the hierarchy of the classic, automatic watches produced by those two high-class manufacturers during the 1950s.

LGCQ369x.jpg

Though I do own a number of fine vintage Omega watches, I have always preferred the Conquest to the Constellation. I am very fond of the iconic fish (and green enamel) on the case backs, denoting water resistance, and the general case design. I also prefer the dials on most of the Conquests, as the mirror chapter ring that is found behind the indices adds welcome interest to the design, and catches light in a variety of attractive ways. Also, the production numbers of the Conquest were most certainly far smaller than those of the Constellations, so it is more challenging to find good examples of the former in the vintage market.

Speaking of dials, the one that I am selling is an uncommon, and in my view beautiful variation. A very low percentage were produced with this 3, 6, 9, 12 Arabic design, and the small arrowheads inside of them are a superb, subtle touch. The fact that these indices are (pink) gold is a big plus, as the contrast with the steel case is lovely.

In terms of condition, I would rate the watch conservatively as very good overall. The 35mm case shows no significant scratches, but while the chamfers on the lugs can be seen, they lack the sharp definition of an unpolished case. In other words, I do believe that the upper case was polished at some point, though there is no clear evidence that the back was ever polished.

The dial is nearly excellent, but there is a small, I would say fairly insignificant flaw between the 4 and 5 indices. The indices themselves, are, due to the high gold content, in excellent condition. The hands, which have a lower content, show some light oxidation.

The excellent quality cal. 19AS movement is in very good condition, and is working, but has not been timed. I do not recall the last date of service. The signed crown is original, however, PLEASE NOTE that while the winding function works as normal, the time setting function is slipping. This is not a very uncommon issue with vintage watches, and in my (long) experience it can typically be resolved fairly easily by a competent watchmaker. But it is important to take into account that this watch will require a service in order to fully function correctly.

The reason that I have not had the watch repaired myself is simply that my watchmaker in Lisbon is far behind in his work, and I don't feel like waiting for many months. However, I will guarantee that this issue can be solved without and significant expense beyond that of a regular service. In the unlikely event that the issue is more complicated and expensive than I anticipate, I would be happy to contribute to any additional cost of service.

The strap is a very nice Horween (high-quality horse leather), but my wrist is small, so it may be too short for the next owner.

I ask 950€, and will include EMS express shipping within the EU. Buyers outside the EU can explore shipping options with me. Bank transfer preferred, but I may consider Paypal as well.

The only other reasonably nice example of this dial variation that I can find for sale at the moment is this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265518198044

It has a non-lume dial, steel indices, slightly different hands, and some condition issues. The seller's asking price is roughly twice that of mine.

Feel free to ask any questions!

LGCQ369c.jpg

LGCQ369f.jpg

LGCQ369e.jpg

LGCQ369b.jpg

LGCQ369a.jpg

LGCQ369d.jpg

LGCQ369h.jpg

LGCQ369g.jpg
Edited:

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Like 35
SOLD!

Thanks, as always, to the OF owners, Mods, and especially the supportive members. :thumbsup: