Forums Latest Members

Beater/everyday watch vs "safe queen"

1. Gt390 Jan 6, 2019

Maybe just another way of saying I'm a bit of a one watch guy. For years I wore a Tudor prince almost exclusively followed by an Air-king for many years. Possibly soon to be replaced by a speedmaster. I find That I get a lot more pleasure from an everday wear watch that becomes "mine" than something that is either so valuable that I fear losing it or damaging it. Or is not suitable for my normal daily activities. Not that an everyday watch has to be a $50 beater. But For me a watch that is not on my wrist isn't serving it's purpose. So maybe the safe queens just get forgotten more than anything. As my collection tends to be a cross between the island of misfit toys and a retirement home.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  2. Df13 Jan 6, 2019

I'm the same way. I wear my Omega doing nearly everything but sleeping without worry. Heck, when I was in my 20s, I worked in a music store and bought a flametop Les Paul '58 reissue that was hugely expensive for me at the time, and I brought that thing along for bar and club gigs for a decade.

For me, I use what I buy, and, if I'm afraid to use it, I can't afford it. :)

Carney, 67ViP, Gt390 and 3 others like this.
  3. Le Chef Jan 6, 2019

Buy it without fear, insure it, wear the hell out of it and give it some of your own character.

4. Riviera Paradise Jan 7, 2019

I live in Rio de Janeiro and typically use an Explorer 2 and a SM300MC as my daily use watches. Thankfully they attract zero attention on the street. This year I purchased a G-Shock and Seiko Samurai for beach and sports and also for use at night when I feel there might be some degree of security risk.

I just came back from an Amazon Jungle cruise and I took a SM300MC, G-Shock and Seiko Diver. Used and enjoyed all three watches:)

Clearly there will be situations when the risk of damaging a luxury watch, would justify using a beater and I suppose of for some of those use cases (e.g. DIY, mechanical work) a beater could be justified. I think you can enjoy your luxury watches for daily use, but I would not use a gold vintage watch for off road biking:)

One last comment...from what I have seen on watch forums, I think most people actually damage their luxury watch on a hard surface at home. So perhaps the best option is to have nice comfy carpets all over the place.:D

Edited Jan 7, 2019
    Mark020 likes this.
  5. Gt390 Jan 7, 2019

Hope the title didn't come off as polarizing in a negative way as that was not my intention. I guess I just meant to say a watch that is suitable for everyday wear tends to be one you grow more attatched to than one that sits unworn for whatever reason.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  6. Riviera Paradise Jan 7, 2019

No negative interpretation at all:) I apologize for using the term polarizing, which I think came across as a bit harsh. I will correct my post.

Cheers,

RP

7. Jantar Jan 7, 2019

This right here. I’ve always felt the same way.

8. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jan 7, 2019

Same here. See those three watches to the left...I wear all three of them regularly. For ten years the one top left was worn every day, but then I bought the other two and so now it has to share my wrist equally!

That said, I do get why some people collect many watches but do not wear most of them often. I suppose it’s the same as collecting anything...it's about owning them, looking at them, discussing them with other enthusiasts, trading them, hunting for them, and so on... not my thing (yet...:eek:), but I can understand how it is many others’ thing.