Forums Latest Members

Beads of Rice - broken bracelet on a Seamaster DeVille approx.1963

1. DDT993 Nov 10, 2019

Dear all,

unfortunately i destroyed the stainless bracelet of my vintage Seamster DeVille. It is stamped No.12 Omega 1502. Does anybody know where to get replacement beads or a complete bracelet. I did some research but only found several "reissues" on ebay. I'd like to keep it in original state as my father handed the watch down to me several years ago.

Attached some pics of the watch and the damaged bracelet. At least i would need 3 of the beads to fix the connection. Btw - the width of bracelet is 18mm and i'd also need the 18mm springbar.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers
    Dominik

IMG_4031D.jpeg IMG_4030D.jpeg IMG_4027D.jpeg
    Winston_Smith likes this.
  2. Davidt Nov 10, 2019

Original bracelets pop up on here and on eBay quite frequently.
    Ref 1068 and 1036 are pretty much the same as your current one.

Interestingly the 7 row Beads of rice bracelet (rather than the 5 row on yours) is the one more often seen on this model of watch.

Winston_Smith and DDT993 like this.
  3. DDT993 Nov 10, 2019

Thanks for your swift reply Davidt. Do you know if the size of the 7 row beads is the same a the 5 row? As said, i'd like to keep the watch in original state so would like to keep the 5 row. But if the size of the beads is the same, i would keep an eye also on 7 row spares...

4. Lucasssssss Nov 10, 2019

It is rare to see Seamaster Devilles issued with the 5 row BoR, I believe they were only issued on SMDVs from 1967 (would love to confirm this if you could open the caseback, or have the serial of the watch). Either way, there are a variety of bracelets which you could potentially use. As mentioned by @Davidt there are the 1068 and 1037, but there is also the 1036.

The 7 row will also fit, but not 'original'. If you keep an eye on here, or on ebay, you will definatley find one in a couple of weeks.

Here are some listings for example (they are not cheap): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Three-vi...488275?hash=item1f0564f3d3:g:Q0wAAOSwIN9cvLdXPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

and

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-vintag...963543?hash=item262a54e357:g:6DQAAOSwNDBcvMUPPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Winston_Smith and DDT993 like this.
  5. DDT993 Nov 10, 2019

Thanks Lucasssssss. I don't know how to open the watch and cannot find any reference on the outer case. I know that my father purchased the watch like it is - with the 5 row bracelet. I'm located in Germany, don't know if this gives a hint to a certain 5 row edition in our country at that time. I'll check 1068, 1037 and 1036 and maybe i can find some spare links to fix it.

6. Davidt Nov 10, 2019

The 7 row is the same size (18mm). It the endlinks that are harder to source.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 10, 2019

These were sold on a strap, bracelets were sold as an accessory at the time of sale or often when the leather strap wore out, there is no correct bracelet for these.

DDT993 likes this.
  8. ConElPueblo Nov 10, 2019

Do you use the entire length of the bracelet? If not you can just remove part of the bracelet to free up the three links and then adjust the setting on the clasp.

9. DDT993 Nov 10, 2019

Wow, that's a pretty pricetag for 4 steel links.
    Fortunately the endlink is ok after some plier work.

Do you know if i can use any 18mm springbar to connect the endlink?

@ConElPueblo - could be a good idea - will check the range of the clasp.
    @X350 XJR - that's interesting. My father didn't mention that. Despite loving the look of the BOR with that watch - what would be the suitable leather strap for the Seamaster regarding originalty?

If anybody of the OF has some spares, please pm me.

10. Edward53 Nov 10, 2019

That seller's prices are hilarious.

DDT993 likes this.
  11. Lucasssssss Nov 10, 2019

I would say that this is incorrect. There are specific endlinks for watches, to match the profile of the case and lugs. Therefore there are correct and incorrect bracelets for watches. There are tables (here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/case-bracelet-endpiece-list.81618/) produced by Omega demonstrating what bracelets and endlinks are correct and incorrect for certain watch references.

Yes, they are ridiculous

12. Passover Nov 10, 2019

I've got some pieces left to fix that, if you like you can send me a PM

13. lpestre Nov 10, 2019

waow !! those prices ! ask a good watchmaker it could be able to repair it.

14. snunez Nov 11, 2019

I'm surprised no one asked, so I will: how did you manage to destroy the first three beads in the row?

15. DDT993 Nov 11, 2019

Honestly it wasn't me, it was my girl. And she managed to destroy only two of the three beads in a row. It was a cycling accident with our dog. Don't know exactly how it happend - something like our dog suddenly crossed her lane and she pulled the brake. But unfortunately solely the one of the front wheel. The rest is a bit unclear but unlike girl and dog the watch suffered seriously.

The one that withstand this crash was a replacement bead (already removed it for the pictures above) that was done by a watchmaker a few years ago. Not very pretty.

Years before i lost the original bead while coming to aid a friend who got into problems with some drunkards on a festival. In that case much worse for me and my friend than for the little watch. Sounds like a cock-and-bull story but this fragile vintage watch had to take more beating than the others and is still going strong.

16. DDT993 Nov 16, 2019

Due to the generous help of the forum member Passover i was able to fix the bracelet.
    Thank you very much Passover and thanks to all for your comments. Great forums.

IMG_6331.JPG