Forums Latest Members

Be aware - possible scammer

1. Len Jul 3, 2018

Hi everyone
    Just to give an update of the issue that arose a few days ago about member "Seaman". I purchased the Omega 2296.80 from him for 2050 euros and have been watching the tracking since the 25th June, it's been seven days so I rang Royal Mail and they say the parcel for that tracking number was delivered and signed for on 28th June to a London address, I live in Dorset.
    I messaged Seaman via OM and have not had a reply yet and I've also raised it with Paypal Resolution Centre.
    So be aware something is awry here and until it's resolved I suggest one should be careful in dealing with Seaman, I will update if there is anything new.
    cheers
    Len

blubarb and staristheanswer like this.
  2. asrnj77 Jul 3, 2018

I make it a point to stay away from Seaman....::rimshot::

3. gdupree Jul 3, 2018

It appears that he is no longer a member here. I suspect that will make it difficult for him to reply.

Best of luck. I don't know what happened, but these sorts of things usually aren't fun. Keep us posted.

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 3, 2018

Sorry to hear about it but if the package was not shipped to your Paypal registered address then you ought to be protected and get a refund easily.

blubarb, sdre and gdupree like this.
  5. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Jul 3, 2018

6. gdupree Jul 3, 2018

7. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Jul 3, 2018

Yes it’s quite disconcerting especially since I was in discussion with him regarding this watch...

8. gdupree Jul 3, 2018

Ah. Well, whatever happened, it appears that it was something the mods weren't overly fond of. So, perhaps you dodged a bullet. As many of us say, "There's always another one..."

sdre and Rasputin like this.
  9. blubarb Jul 3, 2018

I agree with this as well as long as the account hasn't been closed -to prevent a refund or then does PP cough up the funds via their insurance?

This doesn't look promising I am sorry to say, but I truly hope it works out for you. Be sure to keep us posted.

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 3, 2018

11. blubarb Jul 3, 2018

sorry about that
    ADMIN EDIT:

quote from, Gster ,

igloe likes this.
  12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 3, 2018

Looks like seamens been ejac.....

Sorry ::facepalm2::

13. blubarb Jul 3, 2018

He's seems to have gone to a lot of effort to rack up posts (and likes) so looks as if he was playing a long scam game.

14. larryganz The cable guy Jul 3, 2018

If he didn't ship to your verified PayPal address then you should be covered by buyer protection. If he shipped something to another address, then the seller can't use that tracking to prove that he shipped your item, because he has to show PP that he shipped it to your address and not someone else address.

Always have them send you an invoice that properly describes the item you ordered, and pay them from the invoice to ship to your verified PP address, unless you know 110% for sure that the seller is legit with a good reputation.

If you paid a stranger via friends and family, and they fleeced you, it's usually a lost cause. You can't claim that you were hacked if PP has your IP address when you logged in and sent the money.

15. Screwbacks Jul 3, 2018

it's a monicker name. do you have his real name?

16. Radiumpassion Jul 4, 2018

This is sad! I hope everything works out for OP

17. Len Jul 15, 2018

Good news, PayPal have decided in my favour and I was refunded the 2050 euros this morning, Seaman (the scammer) had not replied to their communications, PayPal say they were able to recover the money from him, so hopefully his scam has backfired. Lessons learned always use PayPal (Seaman said he preferred bank transfer) and do some digging on the sellers background before entering into a deal, there are many kind helpful people in this forum to give advice.

Syrte, igloe, bonerp and 7 others like this.
  18. GMT_Bezel Jul 15, 2018

I see what you did there.

nurseford25 likes this.
  19. bonerp Jul 16, 2018

Great result - especially after some of the bad press on here re paypal. I myself am selling a watch and have received a couple of enquiries about using paypal - made me very nervous reading some of the issues on here people have experienced. I contacted paypal who confirmed that even as a private sale, the buyer must use 'goods and services' and NOT gift/friends and family. Using Goods and services linked to the advert protects us both so long as I use a tracked and signed for courier.

amiriqbal likes this.