Forums Latest Members
  1. Patrik83 Jun 16, 2019

Hi Guys,

Be aware of the following listing: https://ebay.us/5hC0KB

Anyone seen these images before?

When looking through the feedback the seller (jorgecabezas-0) only has feedback as buyer and the interesting thing is that when going through the reviews as seller being a buyer you can spot a trend of the same reviews from different accounts...

"Great communication. A pleasure to do business with." by 3 users
    "Thank you for an easy, pleasant transaction. Excellent buyer. A++++++." by 4 users
    "Hope to deal with you again. Thank you." by 5 users
    "Good buyer, prompt payment, valued customer, highly recommended." by 4 users
    "Quick response and fast payment. Perfect! THANKS!!" by 3 users

And in the feedback left for others...
    "great" by 15 users
    "Great Seller A1 ++" by 7 users

And that movement looks like it is in a bad shape...

s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg

Edited Jun 16, 2019
    Taybharr, Wuza72 and Passover like this.
  2. Tigeranteater Jun 16, 2019

Thanks for the heads up.

Germanicus likes this.
  3. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jun 16, 2019

That's indeed suspicious. How does one achieve this?

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 16, 2019

I reported the seller and the listing has been removed. They also had two other Omegas listed each with a different photographic background which is a big red flag for photos stolen from other listings. All is well (for now) eBay did their job by removing the listings.

5. dabbispade Jun 16, 2019

Right now I’m in the market for a vintage speedmaster and I don’t know a lot about them, that’s why I’ve been looking for months.
    I can’t personally see anything wrong by the images, what are the red flags here ?

Asking because I want to know what to stay away from.

6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 16, 2019

The OP was flagging the comments the seller had. That was the 'flag'.

Good chance they stole photos from elsewhere; they do not have the watch.

Always a good idea to do a Google Image search on auction photos to see if they may have been copied from someone/ somewhere else. You can't put 100% faith in this if it does not ID the images, but if it does find them it is pretty much 100% certainty the ad is a scam. (sometimes it could be someone reselling a watch they recently bought, so there are some times when reusing photos from the internet is not actually a scam, but this is an exception and not the rule).

connieseamaster, DaveK and dabbispade like this.
  7. 321Only Jun 16, 2019

Thanks for posting this! I noticed a series of eBay listings in the last weeks that looked a bit suspicious and “too good to be true” mostly from sellers with 0 feedback which should be a warning signal for every potential buyer anyways.

8. dabbispade Jun 16, 2019

I’ve seen sometimes people are posting a “tag” pic with username and date, but it’s not often here when people are selling watches in private sector.

But my question is; should I ask for a tag pic when buying also on eBay ?
    I always thought eBay was quite safe specially when the seller has some good feedback ?

9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 16, 2019

eBay is not very safe. There are loads of scammers. In the case above, the feedback was odd in that multiple people wrote the exact same phrases.

There is definitely no harm in asking for a tagged photo. But good chance you will not always get one.

connieseamaster and dabbispade like this.
  10. stahlmotte Jun 16, 2019

Thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

11. dabbispade Jun 16, 2019

I did sell some things on eBay years ago but just some old stuff and nothing above 100 usd - when you are listing a watch that cost few thousand usd like this speedy do they not ask for some “guarantee” ? Can just a new account “ scammer” post watches for thousands of usd and no one says a thing ?

12. TexOmega Jun 16, 2019

Is this a rhetorical question?

If not, then, YES

BUYER BEWARE, first, middle and last.

13. dabbispade Jun 16, 2019

Wow I thought eBay was safe, clearly i need to look better.

Stumbler likes this.
  14. asrnj77 Jun 18, 2019

It's safe in the sense that you're generally protected as a buyer when things go south. If they take your money and don't send anything eBay and PayPal will cover you. If they have sent a watch with a dial from another year things get trickier. Always best to do your due diligence up front and avoid the hassle