Forums Latest Members
  1. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 20, 2016

For those of you unfamiliar with the programme in the thread title, it's a long-running BBC series where two teams of two plus an expert have a budget of £300 to buy three items at an antiques fair. They are then auctioned off and the winner is the team with the biggest profit, or more frequently, the smallest loss ;)

Anyhow, as part of the format, the presenter has a short slot where he or she picks out an item of interest and give some more information about it. Today, the presenter, after proudly showing off his Speedmaster, gave a short talk on a 1930's military Omega :)

I've added a couple of screenshots below, but for those wanting to see the whole segment, it's in Bargain Hunt Series 44:10 Westport 19 and the presenter is Paul Laidlaw.

Laidlaw Speedy.png
    Laidlaw RAF Omega.png

2. marturx Jun 20, 2016

That is a 1940 AM Weems Omega.

The dial looks redone, though

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 20, 2016

Bucky teeth ( as my late mother referred to him God bless her )

image.jpeg

Mouse_at_Large likes this.
  4. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Jun 20, 2016

£100!? "bucky-teeth" you are a thief! if someone brought that to us now OR a few years ago we would have offered them a fair and honest price!

5. DON Jun 20, 2016

Watched the episode on that. Don't know if the accent or mannerisms, but he's annoying to listen to. It's like he's talking to children and enunciating each word individually.

If he bought that off an individual for £100. He certainly did take advantage of someone. Can't recall the laws if apt in Canada, but in the US. Professional dealers have to tell sellers what any item offered up for sale is worth retail and then make an offer.

Quoting low values in order to steal something or avoid paying fair price is considered theft.

DON

marco, TNTwatch and Spacefruit like this.
  6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 20, 2016

For all we know, he might have bought it several years ago at a general auction where he was smart/knowledgeable enough to recognise it for what it is. I believe he has a special interest in militaria.

7. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jun 20, 2016

Hi is certainly a sharp cookie when it comes to militaria. Watched quite a few episodes when he is involved and his knowledge is quite impressive.

Mouse_at_Large likes this.
  8. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 20, 2016

Hey Don

Really ? "Quoting low values in order to steal something or avoid paying fair price is considered theft."

That is not what you tell me when we used to meet for a coffee when I am up in the GTA.

hahaha

Bill

9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 20, 2016

No such laws in the UK
    All's fair in love and...antiques
    I once bought a rare Art Deco coffee set from a (Deco) dealer for £80 when it was worth £500
    I knew what it was he didn't
    He was happy because he only paid £20 (300% profit for him!)
    I was happy and still have it :thumbsup:

This show's name is Bargain Hunt
    The aim of the game is to buy for as little as possible and sell for as much as you can
    This guy really knows his onions when it comes to militaria and frequently finds obscure things and makes his team pots of profit

10. TNTwatch Jun 20, 2016

Did he keep it for himself? If not, how much was it sold for?

11. DON Jun 20, 2016

Sorry Bill, but don't recall any such discussion

Majority of my purchases are off Ebay, so my bids are what they are. or I got offered watches by my watchmakers and they set the prices they wanted.

Remember that Omega you sent me? I certainly didn't forget

DON

Edited Jun 20, 2016
  12. DON Jun 20, 2016

Check out this auction from 2011 on Ebay UK. Seems they keep them up longer than the US one.

Look at the price this Omega Weems sold for. Seems an easy thing to search on. This was the first post that showed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/150553164503?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

DON

13. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 21, 2016

Hey don

What part of Hahahaha do you not get ?

Bill

chronos likes this.