Forums Latest Members
  1. Walrus Apr 8, 2021

1C1349B2-242A-46B1-A046-8CC74873A5C1.jpeg EE11A8A9-785E-423F-8988-B57BEAC805AC.jpeg CB5E05D8-FAD6-4753-9E2A-7774477E705D.jpeg AE74690F-699D-4D1D-A794-97378C393DF3.jpeg EB86C332-392B-4D12-9BF3-EC4D14914A54.jpeg CE5E1B97-F257-42B8-A55C-2C7EF8680220.jpeg 222CD420-2D27-4D5D-9EAA-A1A696E5A483.jpeg So I was approached for a trade. I’m not very familiar with the brand but I actually like the look of it. Anyone ever have one of these and what did they think. Text pictures so probably not that great. I have yet to see it in person

Edited Apr 8, 2021
    sat968 likes this.
  2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Apr 8, 2021

Can you repost the pics ?

3. Walrus Apr 8, 2021

Actually I’m trying the copy and paste is not complying I’m trying something else

4. Walrus Apr 8, 2021

Ok got pics now sorry a couple doubles for some reason it was being difficult but just curious if anyone knows much about these

5. Dan S Apr 8, 2021

It's one of many old Swiss brands purchased by conglomerates, in this case the Richemont group. I think they make solid watches, probably similar in quality to the mid-tier Swatch brands. They seem to be sold at a fairly upscale price point, but as with many of these modern brands, this seems to be largely marketing. I don't think they hold their value particularly well, but they make some attractive watches.

6. Walrus Apr 8, 2021

Thanks Dan and yeah tbh the main thing catching my eye is I do like the look. I think the fact it’s a solid back means it’s an ETA in side as they did make an in-house with a display back. I think it would be something a little different. It will actually work out ok I’m trading a non watch related item for it, it appears to be in decent shape but I’ll be able to inspect it closer just make sure everything resets. I’m trying to read up on them and look on chrono but Chrono can be such a poor place to get an idea in price. The gentleman is going to send me pics of the info on the cards, that should give me the year and the ref # as long as it’s “value” and I use that term loosely as things are only worth what someone will pay is around 1,200-1,800 I’m ok. And one could actually shave a couple hundred off that I’m still ok. I see similar looking models on Chrono for 3-4K but that could be the better movement or Chrono wishful thinking, I think it’s nice looking that’s the main thing, for me anyway.

7. Rado63 Apr 8, 2021

The watch is :
    Hampton in Stainless Steel
    on Black Crocodile Leather with Black Dial

MOA10030
    Approximate MSRP was $4700.
    If you search for that model number you will learn all about the MSRP and the current asking prices for the piece. This watch may have been available with either a folding clasp or tang buckle. The one you show appears to have a folding clasp. The watch isn't the most water resistant so I would not be getting this wet. It would look nice with dark blue croc strap or black strap. I'm guessing a very nice piece might be offered for sale between $2000- 3000. A dealer would offer much less to buy from you. If you are getting it for below 2K in trade and if you needed service you still are at approximate resale value of the watch especially if it has all the boxes and books and paperwork.

Walrus likes this.
  8. Walrus Apr 8, 2021

One thing getting me is the case diameter of 48. I think it’s like 48mm by 34-35. That’s sounded rather large on the diameter. Perhaps it will wear different being square the only square one I have is a 40’s bulova, not sure of the dimensions but no where near that

9. Dan S Apr 8, 2021

You know I'm not a big fan of focusing on value. It's much more important to enjoy the watch. The only reason I mentioned it is that I know you are saving for a specific watch you've wanted for a long time. But if you are trading non-watch items, that could be a win-win.

Walrus likes this.
  10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 8, 2021

it used to be a great and classic brand. One of my late dad's favorites in the 50's and 60's. I still have his two B&M. Simple and beautiful. I also bought a Clifton model which I rarely use. I think I was just having a moment.

As of today though? they do still have some nice watches but the brand carries limited value or desirability. Does not make it bad though and, if you like the watch, should not deter you from buying.

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 8, 2021

Takes about 6 to 12 months to sell one for less than half what you pay :D

::stirthepot::

Nobel Prize likes this.
  12. Walrus Apr 8, 2021

Tbh the resale is not a major concern. As long as I like it I will keep it but as I said that 48mm diameter is giving me pause. Perhaps it will wear ok being square tbh i have no idea. Damn 48mm is close to 2 inches. I think lug to lug is 36mm. Kind of an odd shape. The only reason I bring up value is the trade. My wife and I have a little side gig selling things online, I do the face 2 face she does the eBay. I always say “will accept crypto” and on certain things I will offer to trade for a watch of equal value. So this gentleman approached me with this Baume and tbh I’m fine with it as long as I can wear it comfortably I really don’t like things that stick out, I mean like dish plate or real flashy stuff. I don’t know your guys thoughts but I do like the look of that watch and if it’s not top of the line or easy to sell those things aren’t at the top of my list. Perhaps I’ll ask him to send me a wrist shot or put a ruler next to it. Or I’ll wait until we meet up and try it on. I’ll let him know in advance I’m down for it but do have concerns of the size. He’s getting about a grands worth of a small amp and some pedals that can make your bass sound like almost anything you want. I spoke to the dude this AM and he sounded pretty laid back, we agreed to meet half way so I’ll let him know of my concerns going into it and who knows maybe he will have issues with the music equipment and he could back out and I’d need to accept it anyway. Just to put things in perspective this is my only square watch which is my grandfathers bulova. Seems to be just shy of an inch a cross, so we are doubling this off the rip if my online info is correct. Maybe it will look ok I just gotta guess for now. I’m good with the finance part of it I have no problems with things sitting in my watchbox and getting occasional use, no need to sell or have that play a major factor in my decision.
    image.jpg

13. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Apr 8, 2021

Have you tired the Chrono24 virtual try on thing? I’ve never looked into it, but maybe it could work

14. Walrus Apr 8, 2021

Damn I been messing around with that trying to figure it out. Ok so I gotta download the app I was literally trying to use it this AM. Thanks I might have downloaded and not opened it that thing was annoying me. I owe you one.

15. Walrus Apr 8, 2021

Oh tried it Dave it’s not available for all watches yet just a handful of them I guess they are expanding it that’s fine though I’ll just wait till I meet the guy. It’s just a watch. I think people just reinforced what I had been thinking though Baume and mercier is nothing fantastic but a decent watch and they do have a decent following I think it’s certainly worth at least checking out.

Nobel Prize likes this.