Forums Latest Members

Basic tools for bracelet changes... which one would you recommend?

1. Delbok Oct 13, 2015

Of course there are thousands of references on the internet but I am sure you guys have some favorites or basics you can live without today.

Thanks for your experience

2. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 13, 2015

Just a springbar tool?

I purchased one from our very own @woodwkr2 (Byron from NYC) and it's...perfect.

+ he's just about the nicest freaking guy I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. His enthusiasm for this hobby is off the charts and infectious.

He's got tons of nice, quality "stuff" and even better free advice.

3. happytapy Oct 13, 2015

Well, I use a cheap spring bar tool if that is what you mean. Not a known brand or anything, just a really cheap remover. I have never owned any expensive tools for watch maintenance. On expensive watches I use masking tape around the lugs, just in case I slip with my cheapo tool. :whistling:

citizenrich likes this.
  4. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 13, 2015

BEST ADVICE, E.V.A.R.

5. Delbok Oct 13, 2015

Ah ah understood, thanks very much for these good advices

6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 13, 2015

I know Otto Frei is not everyone's favorite material house, but it's semi-local to me and I've never had issues with them in 30 years for simple stuff like this. They sell a spring bar tool identical to the pricey Bergeon tool, only it doesn't have the Bergeon name on it:
    [​IMG]
    I strongly urge you to mask off the lugs (each lug, ALL SIDES/SURFACES!). No matter how careful you are, that spring bar will find a way to slip and scratch the part you didn't tape off. I use a tape designed for polishing, although you can probably get by with any masking tape? This stuff is tough, and doesn't leave any goop on the lugs.
    [​IMG]
    Just remember after you've changed straps a million times and think you can do it blindfolded using only your teeth, CONTINUE TO TAPE OFF THE LUGS!