Forums Latest Members
  1. Stufflers Mom Dec 23, 2018

M'Bob likes this.
  2. Magic_Omega Dec 23, 2018

Bei der heutigen Vernetzung der Welt, werden Messen für die Konsumenten überbewertet und sind überflüssig. Digitalisierung 4.0 hält auch in der Uhrenindustrie Einzug!

Mcvictory likes this.
  3. M'Bob Dec 23, 2018

Interesting for a number of reasons. Obviously, the Swatch people were, and are still pissed off at Baselworld despite the departure of the show's CEO. Further, there has been on-going speculation that the departure of certain brands had to do with either that the show wasn't worth the outlay of funds, or the structure of the whole thing wasn't viable or necessary in a growing technology world. The alternative venue casts doubts on both.

4. Riviera Paradise Dec 23, 2018

M'Bob likes this.
  5. Duckie Dec 23, 2018

There was also another factor mentioned on another forum.
    Apparently the time of year was found to be out of sync with the broader market.
    It impacted on marketing and product planning.

I don't know whether this has merit or not as I don't move in those circles.

6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 23, 2018

Unless they have picked a place that’s more cost efficient. Plus right now it seems it’s only for watch retailers. So it’s a smaller size than if they’re also trying to reach out to the press and the public as they did in Basel.
    If there’s more accommodations in Zurich they can save a lot on hotel rooms and accommodations for their staff. Smaller towns are known to have all but price gouging when there’s big events.

connieseamaster likes this.
  7. Inpw Dec 24, 2018

True, there should be less of a price bump as Zurich is a much bigger city (for Swiss standards, that is :D). I'd be surprised if such an event had a noticeable impact on room availability or prices. However, Zurich is an expensive place to begin with.

Magic_Omega likes this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 24, 2018

I thought they where just going down the street to SIHH like everyone else.

9. Magic_Omega Dec 24, 2018

The prices was one problem, but it's the spirit of the age, we are in the digital period.

Inpw likes this.
  10. rominvicta Dec 24, 2018

Some say Swatch Group was pissed off by management of Basel fair paying too much attention to opinion of Rolex and PP.

MCG555 likes this.
  11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 24, 2018

No, they said they weren’t from the get go. I posted info from the Financial Times when they announced the move, somewhere in a past thread here.

Nicholas Hayek said Basel World were arrogant and were not listening. Which was exactly my impression when I visited. Extremely nasty and unpleasant people at the gate, even though I held an invite to visit an event indeed organized by a Swatch group brand. Guess they could not care less. When I heard Nicholas Hayek was dumping them I thought - « well done, serves them right ».

MCG555 and Foo2rama like this.
  12. thatonewatchdude Dec 24, 2018

Essentially Baselworld is not client centric, their focus is on the money to be made rather than the clients to be made.

13. MCG555 Dec 24, 2018

This might change now! They have a serious problem now!