Forums Latest Members

Baselworld 2016: My report

1. wayneG Mar 25, 2016

Last Thursday, I visited Baselworld 2016. It's taken a long time to sort out all the pics, and edit the video between working but rather than my usual hundreds of pics (I normally post on other forums), I thought I'd just show the watches that really interest me on here, and show everything in a VLOG. I know it's late to the party but I hope you'll enjoy it all.

Baselworld 2016 was of course the year we saw the Daytona finally receive a refresh (old news), but I have to say, I liked it a LOT. The case sides do appear to be less curvy than previous models, so perhaps the watch will be seen as more manly now, although I didn't mind the previous case at all; liked it a lot in fact. The Air King is a shocker but it does have technical merits, and the new Explorer works well.

Omega is currently my favourite brand of watches, but I felt a bit disappointed this year. The CK2998 is really nice but I would have preferred a bracelet, although I may still be interested in one at release.

TAG Heuer released the Monza and Tourbillon models. The models was very appealing in the display case, but not so much when I tried it out. Very lightweight to the point it didn't feel great, and the shiny PVD areas were off-putting; as was the 42mm case size which is just unnecessary.

Seiko excited me with the PADI models, and Casio has the most amazing booth I've ever seen. You were made to feel as if you were in a rainstorm!

So here are some photos of the watches that interested me a lot, some others I've thrown in because I like the images, and then you can see my video at the bottom of the thread...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VLOG Report...

[video=youtube;QaZW-YFyOpo]

2. wsfarrell Mar 25, 2016

That Seiko PADI looks nice.

Here's a story: Back in the day I wanted to learn SCUBA diving, and there were two major training organizations: Professional Association of Dive Instructors (PADI) and National Association of Underwater Instructors (NAUI). I went to a NAUI intro class nearby. The two instructors looked like twins: darkly tanned, muscled like weightlifters, shark tooth necklaces. They seemed most interested in (1) establishing their dominance, and (2) getting phone numbers of the female attendees. I got my certification via PADI.

3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 25, 2016

Pictures or it didn't happen!

4. aap Mar 25, 2016

Your non-watch pics are nice!

5. wayneG Mar 26, 2016

I'm sure there's also a bloke called Paddy somewhere offering diving lessons with the intentions of your NAUI experience :-D

Okay I'll try harder in future.

Thank you Sir.

Riviera Paradise and aap like this.
  6. davidswiss Mar 26, 2016

Thanks for that. I've never made it to the show, partly because of the entrance cost. Maybe next year.

7. wayneG Mar 26, 2016

I think it's 60chf. The entrance cost is actually not as bad as food and drink costs though. Bring some sandwiches!

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 26, 2016

That Zenith looks better in your pic than in their press materials. Send them a bill.

Hijak likes this.
  9. alam Mar 26, 2016

Yup! that's a very good looking Seiko indeed! :thumbsup:

10. Jminchoi Mar 26, 2016

Nice photos! I love Seikos, but for some reason the 'x' on the dial in their Prospex lineup bothers me. Kind of what is preventing me from pulling the trigger on a sumo, but it looks much better and more fitting on the newest PADI release. That combined with the sunburst dial is stunning. Nice video as well, Casio's booth looks very cool.

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 26, 2016

Very nice report, any more?

12. jayrock26 Mar 26, 2016

that white seiko with breguet numerals what model is that? :cool:

13. demollo Mar 26, 2016

Thanks, really cool pics !

14. Riviera Paradise Mar 26, 2016

Great report:thumbsup:

Your picture and video of the Explorer 1 has perfectly captured the class and timeless appeal of this iconic watch. Thanks for posting.:)

15. wayneG Mar 26, 2016

Thanks for all the comments :) This was just a fraction of what was on show, so hopefully next year, when I have 20 million subscribers (hint hint), I'll be able to go for longer! ;-)

I wish, but thanks!

Seiko Presage? It's a line of high end watches for much less money than a lot of other, similarly-equipped watches. Enamel dials etc and very nice... http://www.seikowatches.com/press_release/2016/BSL_RLS1603-04/index.html

16. Riviera Paradise Mar 26, 2016

The black Urushi dial chronograph is beautiful:)

17. wayneG Mar 27, 2016

I really agree. Seiko seem to have something for everybody these days.

18. NT931 Mar 27, 2016

Ahhhh yes, that's a real beauty! Can't wait for it to reach the boutique.