Forums Latest Members
  1. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 9, 2017

2. jakeh417 Nov 9, 2017

I read that as the result of the down market, and rising expenses, a lot of these watch companies decided on one (Baselword) or the other (SIHH), not both like in years past. It wasn't just the cost of booths, but they had to devote a lot of time and PR to each event, which took a lot of resources.

One thing for consumers is maybe it'll be easier to book hotels to stay near by :). Someone I knew went years ago, they said every hotel in the city was booked solid. He had to stay really far away and ride the train in.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  3. kippyk Nov 9, 2017

Trade shows in general are down in all industries. Unless it makes business sense to go, people will no longer go. It might not be a stigma anymore to skip the trade show.

4. Ninja2789 Nov 10, 2017

Keep in mind that BaselWorld is still expected to have 600-700 exhibitor booths per the article. I can't even name more than 20 brands off the top of my head, much less expect watch journalist to cover that many potential brands/dealers/etc.

The article says there were some cost issues as well (+20% booth costs), but I think there are just less incentives to go to these shows when you've got a much shorter "watch news" cycle through online medium.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. tyrantlizardrex Nov 10, 2017

Salon QP was at just under half the size it was last year... the only mainstream brand with a booth being NOMOS.

Ultimately, if an event costs a lot, and offers very little ROI, then it makes no sense to go just to give away brochures and goody bags, and get journalists drunk.

Edited Nov 10, 2017