Forums Latest Members

Basel 2017 rumor: new Explorer 2 with ceramic bezel

1. Riviera Paradise Jan 14, 2017

Rolex passion report updated info. Explorer 2 will get a new ceramic black bezel at Basel 2017.
    http://rolexpassionreport.com/20205/rolex-news-for-baselworld-2017/

Black dial looks quite cool. I do not like it on the white dial at all. I much prefer the steel bezel on the Polar. I think with this version there might be an inverse in sales between the two versions, with the black dial taking a significant percentage of future sales. I think for both, especially the black dial, the black bezel outline will make the watch wear larger. Of course with live pics and on the wrist we will have a better idea.

What do you guys and gals think?

RPR_2017_explorerII_ceramic_rolex.jpg

Edited Jan 14, 2017
  2. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jan 14, 2017

Black definitely looks better to me, though I'd bet it'll look fairly similar to the ceramic submariner (once on the wrist, especially from a distance). Perhaps too similar?

SeanO, Foo2rama, Jwit and 1 other person like this.
  3. Riviera Paradise Jan 14, 2017

Good point, hadn't thought of that. One of the positives I suppose is that the ceramic bezel on the Explorer 2 is thinner than the ceramic bezels on the GMT and Submariner.

4. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jan 14, 2017

It's certainly not bad, just felt like it loses some of it's identity given how much of their line up has various black ceramic bezels now.

5. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jan 14, 2017

Not a big fan of the new line ups, ceramic.
    Incredible how the unpopularity of the basic GMT ceramic (not the blue/black) tanked the prices in the secondary market and skyrocketed the predecessor's price (16710)..

nixf6, watchknut and Riviera Paradise like this.
  6. Riviera Paradise Jan 14, 2017

I am starting to change my mind on this. I think the black bezel on the polar might actually make the watch wear smaller...breaking up the steel-white boundary. Looking forward to seeing these live to make a final judgement.

Blacksmith likes this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 14, 2017

The thing that makes it a bit odd for me is the friction fit steel bezel was sort of the reason the bezel didn't turn on the EXP2, now if they go this route its basically got the same bezel on it as a GMT, steel with a ceramic insert but it just doesn't turn. It looks less of a different watch to the GMT-Master and more the same watch with a different shaped hand and a less practical bezel since its fixed.

Trev, Jwit, Traveler and 4 others like this.
  8. omitohud Jan 14, 2017

I'm with ☝️. I can't see how Rolex would jeopardize the sales of gmt by introducing a similar watch with the difference of fixed bezel. [emoji848]

I blame it on the autoconnect.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  9. Maganator Jan 14, 2017

I really don't like these Explorer 2 models - the watch looks a bit cartoonish to me.

I think it's the size of the hands and hour markers

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 14, 2017

The outer edge of the bezel being steel, the bit that gets scratched and dings is still going to get scratched and dings, why not do the reverse and just keep the steel bezel but give it a ceramic protective rim around the outer edge to protect the steel part and to keep the overall look and feel of the watch instead

11. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jan 14, 2017

I have the 16570 Polar and my initial reaction to the above Polar is underwhelming. But I really like the new Black and Red GMT Master II.

Rodmar and Riviera Paradise like this.
  12. alam Jan 14, 2017

I'm holding final judgement until I get to see these on the flesh...the black dial does not look that bad.. :coffee:

cicindela and Riviera Paradise like this.
  13. Riviera Paradise Jan 14, 2017

Spot on!...I have a small ding at 24 on my Polar 42 on the outer edge...a bit silly protecting just the bezel top surface. I have been wearing the watch today...the steel bezel brushed radial finish is very cool...would miss it on the new ceramic version.

14. marcn Enough space to say witty Jan 14, 2017

Forgive the ignorance, as I'm not familiar with their website, and couldn't find confirmation of this when I visited -- but these are all just photoshopped speculations, right? (If so, damn good photoshop skills, at that!) Or is this a site known to know these things in advance? ::confused2::

15. Traveler Jan 14, 2017

Speculation, albeit from someone that knows a heck of a lot about Rolex

marcn and Riviera Paradise like this.
  16. omitohud Jan 14, 2017

You guys realize this is all speculative right? I doubt Rolex would release this expy 2 or SS ceramic coke gmt.

I blame it on the autoconnect.

17. Traveler Jan 14, 2017

Still prefer the size, shape and colors from my 90s version ... at 2-3k I think these are a good value prop

IMG_5814.JPG

TJH, Nobel Prize, EatMan and 6 others like this.
  18. Riviera Paradise Jan 14, 2017

Speculation. But based on his previous prediction history I would but an estimatex prob. of 90% of this being confirmed at Basel 2017.

marcn likes this.
  19. Riviera Paradise Jan 14, 2017

See how many hits and misses he had last year...

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 14, 2017

Not a fan for the above reasons the 1655 with its readability issues is still the best exii in my mind. I was so excited when they brought back the Orange hand a few years back but when I put it on I was underwhelmed. Ended up with a POC. The white ones are great but I just don't see myself with a white face casual watch. The black bezels are not doing the watch any favors.