Forums Latest Members
  1. z1109r Nov 2, 2015

Hi

Last weekend after dinner I talked with my father and for some reason we began to talk about watches. He asked me about my Seamaster, why I wanted one etc. Then he says, casually, well I have some old watches in my drawer. Wow, I said, why haven´t you told this before. He said he didn´t think they were worth anything.

So, here´s what he gave me the next day:
    Javil_Omega.jpg
    Both of them are in running condition, even the chrograph runs, and in pretty goos shape for their age. I´planning to take both to watchmakers school for clean up-and service.

The Chrono:
    - The dial: "Javil" Chronometre Suisse, 17 rubis, Antimagnetic. Hour markers in dial are not painted, they are metal. Dial is in very good shape
    - Case: Halmarks: 18K, 0,750 and 105. No big dings or scratces.Number in case back: 299 0. Case ø 37,5mm
    - Bracelet: 14K/20Mikrons, Stainless
    - Color of the case is a bit "rosy", not bright yellow
    - This was given to my father as a birthday present around 1958-1962. He is an old man 87 already so no wonder doesn´t remember exactly :)
    -> So, as I haven´t opened it and do not know about the movement, I´m guessing 18K gold case and case back, Lemania movement?, could be a bit rare as I havent seen any pictures with black dial and metal (gold?) markers? Bracelet not original and only gold plated.

What else, does anyone have any accurate info on this?

The Pocket watch
    - The dial: Omega. Dial is in excellent shape
    - Case back: Halmarks: The grouse (Swiss silver), 0,800 and number 9496579
    - Chain: Silver? Have to check more closely
    - This was given to my father as a graduation present in 1949.
    -> So, as I haven´t opened this one either and do not know about the movement,

What else, my dear wizards?

Neither of these watches will be for sale, but some estimation of value would be appreciated as I have to pay some severance to my brother.

We already have one big brass ships clock and a Schatz yearclock that move from house to house every christmas because neither one wants to give these away... Especially the ships clock has some history. My grandfather was Chief of engines on merchant steamers and this clock was the last thing he was able to salvage when his ship SS Anna went down off the cost of Scotland in 1956.

Regadrs

Masa

Edited Nov 2, 2015
    Geo! likes this.
  2. Geo! Nov 2, 2015

What a gorgeous pair of watches and a lovely gift that you will cherish forever. Regarding value........priceless to you!

http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?151447 Could this possibly have been the boat your father was on? Sunk off the coast if Ireland in 1958. I couldn't find a boat of that name sunk off Scotland in 1956.

Edited Nov 2, 2015
  3. z1109r Nov 2, 2015

http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?151447 Could this possibly have been the boat your father was on? Sunk off the coast if Ireland in 1958. I couldn't find a boat of that name sunk off Scotland in 1956.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, sunk in 1959 not 56:

ANNA
    1936 - 1959
    General Cargo Steamer, Singledecker
    Call: OHYU
    1,045 GRT, 560 NRT, 1,500 dwt
    72.80 x 9.95 x 5.08 m
    Triple Steam Engine 3 cy.
    by the Shipbuilders
    685 IHP 8 knots
    6.1897:
    Completed by Nylands Verksted, Kristiania (#106) as BAYARD for Fred. Olsen, Kristiania.
    20.10.1899:
    Transferred to A/S Bonheur, (Fred. Olsen), Kristiania.
    1915:
    Sold to Dampskibs-A/S Bess, (Harald Hanssen), Skien, and renamed BESS.
    1923:
    Sold to A/S Havbør, (P. Meyer)), Kristiania, and renamed HAVBØR.
    1928:
    Sold to Dampskibsselskabet Braemar A/S, (Kr. Knudsen), Kristiansand, and renamed BRAEMAR.
    1936:
    Acquired by to Höyrylaiva Oy Anna, (E. Fagerström), Rauma /Raumo (511), and renamed ANNA.
    1959:
    Drove aground on 7 Dec. in heavy weather at St. Combs, near Fraserburgh on the eastern coast of Scotland after developing engine trouble, while on voyage from Riga to Leith with timber.
    Became a total loss. Wreck was sold and broken up "as lies".

Strange what kind of issue one finds in Omega forums ::rimshot:::)::book::

Geo! likes this.
  4. vinn2 Nov 2, 2015

you should be able to identify the year the SHIPS CLOCK was made

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 2, 2015

The chronograph is a very popular type that was made for hundreds (maybe thousands) of jewelers across Europe and the US in the 1940's and 1950's.

The case is red 18K solid gold but is extremely thin. Lugs are hollow and are prone to dents. The whole case probably doesn't have more than $200 worth of gold in it.

There should be a thick base metal dust cover over the movement. This is very important to keep as it holds the whole case together. Without it, the thin gold will not support the weight of the movement.

Movements are generally made by Landeron or Venus and are of surprisingly good quality when properly maintained. If it needs service, I would recommend Craig Bergsma at Chronodeco in Oregon, USA. He has a warehouse full of parts for these. Does top notch work.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

6. Geo! Nov 2, 2015

St Combs is about eighty miles up the coast from where I stay. :)

7. z1109r Nov 2, 2015

Thanks, gator! I will have it serviced and with a nice Hirsch strap it will be a nice dress watch.

Any more info about the chrono, anyone?

What about the pocket watch?

Geo, maybe your folks have been there helping, or maybe "salviging" the standard lumber cargo

Geo! likes this.
  8. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 2, 2015

Nothing on the pocket watch, but the Chronograph Suisse would as said normally have a Landeron or Venus movement.
    I never seen Lemania movements in these.

9. z1109r Nov 3, 2015

Gator and Northernman: Yes, Landeron or Venus. My bad, read somewhere that it might be Lemania.

Vinn2: Ships clock is another story. Will check that too sometime.

Northernman likes this.
  10. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 3, 2015

I have kind of hoped they used Lemania movements in some models, but so far seen none.
    Tired steel/chrome versions would make excellent parts donors if that was the case.
    Yours look very good, and it is absolutely nothing wrong with Landeron and Venus.
    :)

11. z1109r Nov 3, 2015

Tomorrow morning I have a meeting with Mr Kauppinen at http://www.kelloseppakoulu.fi/thefinnishschoolofwatchmaking/

He will pop open the Javil. This is really interesting as last night I checked the dial under loop and I could not see any flaws. Also the markers and hands look like red gold..... So if the gut-side is OK then it will be serviced, cleaned, Hirsch -strap.....::love::

p.s Have to learn to use my daughters Nikon D-something camera to take some pics.....

Northernman likes this.
  12. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 3, 2015

Cool! I am quite confident that you will be pleasantly surprised! The rest of the watch looks so nice that a tired movement is almost out of the question.
    Only been driving through Espoo. Used to come over to Turku for the RCCL Oasis/Allure cruise projects a few years back. Nice area, and being a man of the seas I love the archipelago!

13. z1109r Nov 3, 2015

Well, my father didn´t like it... too many hands, busy dial... It should be in a very good condition, lucky me!

OK, so you are working with marine stuff then?

14. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 3, 2015

Marine engineering. Automation and control systems.
    ;)

15. z1109r Nov 4, 2015

So, visited School of Watchmakers this morning.

Javil has a pristine Landeron 48 in engine bay :cool: Untouched and in excellent condition. So it´s green light for this one, I´m so happy-happy-happy! It´s not worth that much but I like the way it looks.

Some pics:

DSC_1381.JPG DSC_1382.JPG DSC_1383.JPG DSC_1372.JPG DSC_1374.JPG DSC_1370.JPG DSC_1375.JPG

DSC_1378.JPG
    ConElPueblo and Northernman like this.
  16. Geo! Nov 4, 2015

I really like that, once you get your new Hirsch strap on it, it will look absolutely brilliant. The first chronograph I serviced was a Landeron 48 and it keeps excellent time.

17. z1109r Nov 4, 2015

And some pic of the Omega pocket watch:

DSC_1342.JPG DSC_1347.JPG DSC_1351.JPG DSC_1354.JPG DSC_1357.JPG DSC_1359.JPG DSC_1365.JPG DSC_1366.JPG

18. vinn2 Nov 4, 2015

WELL; id say a trip to oregon usa - with a wheel barrow --- would be in order. pava