Forums Latest Members

Barn find Speedster reference number 105.102-65 UPDATE/help

1. jricketts65 Aug 13, 2017

Hello,

A few days ago I posted my barn find speedy I was looking for a little help and I'm still unsure about what to do as far as getting it serviced/repaired. I know a few recommendations have been tossed around, I just don't know who to trust. I have inquired with Simon Freese Watchmakers, LA Watchworks, I was also recommended a couple local shops but I don't know if I'm willing to trust anyone who isn't the best.

Anyway, I snagged the ref numbers and photos of the movement. The watchmaker at Omega said it has been serviced within about 10 years because the gaskets are still good and the movement is clean. Both pushers are broken, and the hesalite had been replaced, and I will replace it again when its serviced.

Another question I have is, if I do decide to keep it, would it be a smart move to put a replacement bezel on it and save the original as not to damage it? I realize its a once in a lifetime find and I may decide to get some use out of it.

UPDATD ALBUM http://imgur.com/a/84Osz

Thanks guys.

IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0735.JPG
    Etp095 likes this.
  2. Davidt Aug 13, 2017

Nice find but I'm not entirely sure that bezel is worth molly-coddling!

Where are you located? A good service and new crystal will work wonders.

Maybe and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  3. jricketts65 Aug 13, 2017

Sacramento Ca.

marturx likes this.
  4. Davidt Aug 13, 2017

I'm assuming that's California?

Obviously the logistics of getting your watch to the uk would mean Simon Freese and STS may not be first choice. I don't have experience of any watchmakers your side of the pond but I'm sure someone will help.

5. ryanbk Aug 13, 2017

Can't help you as to watch makers in the UK. But it's a watch that's been worn so I don't see much point in swapping the bezel.. Keep wearing it [emoji4][emoji106] Having the movement serviced and the crystal changed (and maybe the hands resumed - but that is a very personal choice to be made) and you will have a very nice speedy indeed.

marco likes this.
  6. jricketts65 Aug 13, 2017

I emailed him, I have no problem sending my $500 investment to the best in the business of shipping works out, otherwise I'd fly to LA to

I'm not looking for a U.K. watchmaker if I can avoid it, i would like a US based guy, preferably west coast, close to Sacramento Ca.

7. ryanbk Aug 13, 2017

Ups, sorry, my bad. Misunderstood you there, mate.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 14, 2017

9. td69 Aug 14, 2017

I had good experience with Paul's Watch and Clock Repair in Sacramento, CA.

10. jricketts65 Aug 14, 2017

Did the do a "sympathetic restoration" and keep everything possible original?

11. td69 Aug 14, 2017

Yes. You can totally be specific about what you want done. In this case, I would focus on servicing the movement mainly, and perhaps a new crystal glass. Ultrasonically cleaned the midcase and keep the pushers and crown which I believe original to the watch.

12. rcs914 Aug 14, 2017

You did very well at $500, but I wouldn't worry about preserving that bezel - wear it as part of the watch for now. I'd think about seeing if I could source a better looking one over time, but that's gonna be quite a bit of cash to do. Definitely see if they can fix the pushers/keep the crown. It won't be watertight, but it will definitely be better for value.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  13. Timelab Aug 15, 2017

Hi guys,

New to the forum and I just would wanted to share this with you.
    Gaskets in crown and pushers can be changed, and your watch can be waterproof, so no need to change pushers.
    I just did it on my barnfind 145.022 and it is waterproof again.
    Nice watch you have there!

20170730_165019.jpg

Good luck!
    Paul

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 15, 2017

Would be interested in seeing photos of the process to change the O-ring inside the crown, and verification of pressure test afterwards...

Cheers, Al

onthedial likes this.
  15. Kmart Aug 15, 2017

Al -- While we're on the subject, I have a vintage crown that I would like to fit to my 145.022-74. According to a watchmaker I brought it to, the O-ring was shot, which is to be expected I guess. Can this not typically be changed? And if not, can it still be fitted without a new O-ring? I don't necessarily mind it not being waterproof.

16. Wryfox Aug 15, 2017

Good God, man...is he suggesting all this wear is only within the last ten years? Who the heck wore this watch?

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 15, 2017

I'll get into the "can it be changed" question later - having some conversations off line with Paul. However as long as the crown gasket has not turned to black goop, you can use it on the watch without any problems - no water resistance of course but I do this for my customers all the time.

If the crown gasket has turned to black goop - it gets to be like tar - then be aware that over time I've seen that tar like substance travel into the movement on some watches. So if the gasket has gone that way, I would either not use the crown, or take the steps to remove the black goop. I've found the most effective solvent for this goop is alcohol, so I use 99% at the bench for this. But the gasket will also burn, so that is another way of getting it out of the tight space in the crown. After burning it out (in a place where the smoke won't cause you problems) you can then run the crown through an ultrasonic cleaner to remove the debris.

Cheers, Al

18. Kmart Aug 15, 2017

I will have another look at the gasket and see what it looks like. My feeling is that it has turned to goop, which is why the watchmaker was hesitant to fit it to the watch. Thanks for the info on getting the residue out, I'll pass it along the next time I stop by the watchmaker.