Forums Latest Members

Barn Find: Longines La Grande Classique de Longines

1. mikekchc Nov 20, 2018

Hi friends.

I’ve had a pretty good day. Ever since getting into watches about a year ago, I have been seeing all these crazy posts from people finding all the best watches in thrift stores and garage sales so I decided to never turn down an opportunity to go into a thrift store. My policy was that from that day forward, anytime I drove past a thrift store, I would go inside. There are about 4 stores around me and I go anywhere from once a week to once a month.

I went downtown after work, out of my way, to sell a PlayStation 3 controller to this random person. I almost decided not to go because I was exhausted after work. But after I sold it, I passed by the thrift store and decided to go inside (there was a spot right across the street from the store on this busy street).

They actually have more watches than the other thrift stores, and amongst the pile i saw a gold watch with wing tips and immediately knew it was a Longines. I asked the sales associate what the price was and they said that because the watch seems to be in quite bad condition (he only looked at the leather strap which was falling apart), he said 15 dollars! The same price that I sold my controller for! He even explained the return policy for if the watch didn’t work. I handed him the cash quickly and left the store!

Frankly, I didn’t know anything about this watch other than the fact that it was a Longines. I knew it was a women’s watch and was excited but not overjoyed and thought, why not, I have 15 dollars cash. When I went home and did some quick searches, I quickly learned that it retails off the Longines eShop for 1300 USD and Jomashop for 750 USD!

I’ve attached some photos for you all. The clasp just needs a quick shine. The case back has a handful of scratches, the watch keeps good time too!

Do you think I need to get it verified? My logic is that there shouldn’t be much fake Longines floating around - or am I wrong?

Curious to hear more about the watch if folks have experience.

I don’t know if I should put a new strap on it and then sell it (I haven’t sold a watch before)
    Or maybe I can gift it to my Grandma
    Or maybe I will just keep it because I think it will get me excited when I look at it.

Anyways, I’m super excited and I knew I had to tell OF.

Thanks for reading!

-Mike

47337DDA-87D9-48BB-A541-C23473CC213E.jpeg D32D4681-6CCC-4B2D-B48B-C844A02BFDF7.jpeg C5B860CE-61D9-44E7-AEBF-FD622B849B85.jpeg 6F0A5C76-1270-4AA3-82DB-D4839C0DF23A.jpeg
    Just Livin, Deafboy, murph and 2 others like this.
  2. Radiumpassion Nov 20, 2018

Congratulations on your find! And the original clasp was a nice bonus:thumbsup:

Edited Nov 21, 2018
    mikekchc likes this.
  3. murph Nov 20, 2018

That's awesome! Inspiring

mikekchc likes this.
  4. Pizzaflyer Nov 25, 2018

Great find. I need to start looking in my local shops

mikekchc likes this.
  5. mikekchc Dec 10, 2018

RIGHT! I mean I was never hesitant on my purchase, but this would have convinced me if I was