Forums Latest Members
  1. christhomas Dec 17, 2015

Considering the focus (no pun intended) on quality photos on this forum members may be interested in these gadgets. Apologies if everyone else is well aware of them and I am just the last to catch on.

I was browsing an electronics website the other day and came across this clip lens kit for smartphones and tablets. As it was only £3.99 I bought one out of interest but fully expecting it to be a cheap plastic novelty toy.
    IMG_0025.JPG

It arrived this morning and the first thing that struck me is that it is actually very well made. The lens bodies appear to be made of metal and the lenses look reasonably like miniature versions of proper camera lenses. They seem like a real bargain at that price.
    IMG_0023.JPG
    The photo above is my first attempt with the macro lens on an iphone 5 taken in daylight on the window sill. This is as it came straight off the phone - not zoomed, edited or enlarged at all. I daresay with more time and effort I could improve the technique but not bad for the first try with a cheap bit of kit.

I'm sure it can easily be tracked down via Google

Etp095, wristpirate and alam like this.
  2. alam Dec 17, 2015

Not bad at all. My son uses similar set up, different brand name but also with very decent results. Lots of time savings when compared to dealing with a DSLR set up.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 17, 2015

I just got one of these last week.

Also came with a relatively large telephoto clip on lens. Took this picture at Petra in Jordan:

image.jpeg

This was taken from pretty far away. Here is the same shot without the telephoto:

image.jpeg

Pictures were taken at about the same distance. Both with iPhone 6. The telephoto is surprisingly detailed, but distorted a bit near the edges. I can crop most of it out very easily.

Not perfect, but what do you want for $5?

Keeper.
    gatorcpa

ViaAppia, Etp095 and christhomas like this.
  4. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Dec 17, 2015

Oh, dear. My invention -- the MacLoupe, is doomed (I haven't seen a loupe that sells for $6.00). And then there's that whole stickytape thing.

sticky_macro.jpg

jj_cutter, ViaAppia, Etp095 and 4 others like this.
  5. vinn2 Dec 17, 2015

ill go with the "Mac loupe" ! is it palented?

6. christhomas Dec 18, 2015

Yes but if you already have one it's the cheaper option - $6 more for the next watch fund

Jones in LA likes this.
  7. vinn2 Dec 18, 2015

old camera lenses can be taped on also, BUT, you should use DUCK TAPE ( one of my inventions) to support the greater weight