Forums Latest Members

Bangkok Watch Buying Locations

1. Wheels Feb 16, 2013

Off to Bangkok in a couple weeks for business. I may have an afternoon off. Anywhere good for watch shopping? I've heard it's a great place to get watch straps and lots have people have given me the "watch out for fakes" comment but interested to see if anyone has found some good sellers out there?

2. ulackfocus Feb 16, 2013

Ooooo, you gotta tell us about all the exotic strap materials available.

3. Wheels Feb 17, 2013

If I find a platypus leather strap with a Komodo dragon leather underside you'll be the first to know Dennis!

4. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 17, 2013

Cured with unicorn tears? If it's not, there's really no point... :cautious:

5. alexgalt Feb 17, 2013

I spend a couple of months a year in Thailand, usually in Bangkok. If you happen to be there during the International Watch Fair at Siam Paragon then you will have a lot of options but I think that show is in the summer. Paragon mall and Siam Central have some boutiques but prices are about the same as everywhere else with the only real savings I've ever seen related to the sales tax refund. I tried to have two straps made and the quality was abysmal. If you are really patient and willing to walk a lot, you can find some good vintage watches (usually not luxury brand and not in great shape) at the weekend market but since fakes are so prevalent you have to take care. I hope you have a great trip, it's a remarkable city.

6. Wheels Feb 17, 2013

Cool thanks for the info. I was hoping to stay away from boutiques and just trawl markets looking for old original pieces.

7. alexgalt Feb 18, 2013

In that case, you might want to check out the weekend market at Chatuchak. Wear comfortable shoes and be prepared to walk alot, I would guess it is close to 20 acres and everything under the sun is for sale. I've seen some old watches there, but I never found one area where they are concentrated so you kind of have to wander around. It's an interesting place, though.

8. Wheels Feb 18, 2013

Thanks Alex. If I get a chance I'll check it out.