Forums Latest Members
  1. Banner Roar Jul 11, 2016

Business trip to Bangkok for 3 weeks end of this month.

Any establishments worth visiting....heard almost everything is fake.

Tks, M

2. Northernman Lemaniac Jul 11, 2016

And that is not only the watches on display....... :confused:

marco, wkimmd, Traveler and 1 other person like this.
  3. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jul 11, 2016

Enjoy the food. Stay away from the watches. :D

4. Banner Roar Jul 11, 2016

Street food is fantastic.

Looking for any 2nd hand or vintage watch dealers.

5. Northernman Lemaniac Jul 11, 2016

I am afraid that you will mostly find junk. The climate is not good for old watches.
    If you look at what is being offered on the international market (mainly eBay) from Thailand it is not much to salute.
    But you never know.... There might be a gem there somewhere.

The food, climate and lovely people is what I find of value in Thailand.

6. CTS-V Jul 11, 2016

Ask ArchieLuxury?

marco, OmegaRolex, Taddyangle and 3 others like this.
  7. Bumper Jul 11, 2016

Google is your friend.

http://bk.asia-city.com/shopping/article/old-timers

I've been to the first 2 on the list, found them both by doing a lot, a whole lot of walking years ago & asking locals, they've been around for at least 10 years or more.

1. Because I like it
    Tiny shop tucked in the corner of a mall, good selection of vintage watches that were fairly honest. They had dings & scratches and the guy running the store preferred to leave them unpolished. Expect to pay dealer prices.

2. Wichai Watch & Kits - this is actually a booth away from the other watch dealers.
    Unlike the many other shops in MBK ( stay away from them! ), Mr Wichai is a collector & enthusiast himself. I spent a good hour talking to him about vintage watches. Once he realised i wasn't the usual tourist looking for a copy watch/good time he warmed up a lot. He also sells teak wood watch boxes, display cases & trays, leather pouches.... ( i got one of each, but next time i'm in BKK, i want to get more) His wife runs the other store at chatuchak plaza

Chatuchak market - quite a few watch dealers there, but i suspect most of them are responsible for the watches you find on the bay. By the way, if you schedule your holiday so you spend a weekend in Bangkok, go to the market. Everything you want or need to buy while on holiday, you will find it there, cheaper than any mall or night market.

Btw, If you're using a work PC to google Wichai after this, don't look for ladyboy Wichai :whistling:

8. msp1518 Jul 12, 2016

Archie is in Japan talking about vending machines being restocked. Really riveting stuff.

marco and CTS-V like this.
  9. asiatic44 Jul 12, 2016

Are you even asking about the watches? =)

kingsrider and efauser like this.
  10. Interstellar Jul 13, 2016

11. Banner Roar Jul 13, 2016

Tks for the recommends, sounds like MBK and K Village Mall are on my list to visit. I have an apartment in Bangkok for 2 weeks and then a week on the beach, so will have some time for hunting around.

Interstellar likes this.
  12. wristpirate Jul 13, 2016

MBK is worth a visit. However, plenty of shops in there selling dodgy watches that are best to avoid.

All I bought from there were a few nice watch travel cases and storage boxes. Think the shop was called Chaba or Shaba and it was on the 2nd floor (according to my poor memory).

13. loveomega Jul 13, 2016

Mr Vichai phone number in Bangkok is 081-837-7657. He is quite friendly but lately that I have been there, not much interesting vintage watches in stock. You can also try Central World 4th floor. Many shops there but prices are steep.

Banner Roar likes this.
  14. ulackfocus Jul 13, 2016

STANDY, Banner Roar and aap like this.
  15. Banner Roar Jul 25, 2016

Hit BMK today.....2nd floor is the watch sellers.....A few selling preowned watches mostly Rolex. ......Two had Omega but nothing pre 80's and both got very cold when I asked questions...kicking myself for not taking pics first and then opening my mouth. They were so nice when they thought I was a tourist.

Off to K Village Mall tomorrow. .......

16. chipsotoole Jul 25, 2016

I lived in BKK for 10 years...MBK is generally a bad idea. Bad attitude in there and usually unashamedly rip off merchants. Google Klongton or khlong watches...a small vintage outfit in the Klong Toey (commercial port) district, its a poor part of town , but in my experience, the poorer they are, the more honest they are.

Edited Jul 25, 2016
    marco likes this.
  17. chipsotoole Jul 25, 2016

There's also a good central world near the BTS (skytrain) at Ploen Chit, I got a brand new all titanium Seiko prospex samurai diver (japan market only) in there for 300 euros.

18. mikechi22 Jul 20, 2017

Say, Mr. O'Toole. Sorry to disturb. This watch place you were recommending, is it a store in Central World?

19. Bumper Jul 20, 2017

No, Central World is at Chit Lom. Ploen Chit is nearer Pat Pong...

20. mikechi22 Jul 20, 2017

Still puzzled...sorry. You're saying there is a good watch store near Ploen Chit then? Street level? Easy to ask around on street for directions? That area has been demolished and rebuilt...how long ago were you there?