Forums Latest Members
  1. Thumpinhard25 Aug 12, 2016

Hi guys, I was curious if anyone knows if it's possible to have the lizard skin band on a watch re-"glued". Basically the adhesive on the band holding the two halves together has come apart. Should o just replace the band or attempt to have it fixed? Also I just took my Omega 14311 w 352 movement, to the only local watchmaker and was told it would be around $450 + parts to do a basic service on my 14311. Is this a fair price for a clean and lube? The watch runs fine, I just figured I should probably get it serviced. Are there any places in the United States you guys would recommend that I should mail it off to? Thanks again for yalls help. Oh. I'm in Memphis Tn

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. APublixSub Aug 12, 2016

You could try re gluing the band and if it ends up looking bad you can just get a new band.

Good thinking on getting the watch serviced. Many people wait until it stops working and then it costs an arm and a leg.
    However, for a simple clean and lube, $450 is a complete rip off. But you also mentioned parts so I can't be sure as I don't know what is being replaced.

3. DON Aug 12, 2016

Just buy a new strap. Watchmaker is hosing you. What parts is he replacing and whats a basic service?

DON

Thumpinhard25 likes this.
  4. Euxinus Aug 12, 2016

I agree with the above that 400 for a service is a rip. I just paid 200 for my service, and I choose the more expensive guy ( Canadian dollars).

Thumpinhard25 likes this.
  5. Thumpinhard25 Aug 12, 2016

Thanks guys. Just to open it up, clean, lubricate etc was going to start at $400. If it needed any parts, that would cost extra. As of now the watch runs fine, however it's been sitting for a long time I would imagine. My Grand father passed away 10 years ago and I have no idea if he even wore it. My watch maker wants $550 to clean and lube my Speedmaster when it gets here as well. I thought about glueing the band myself, figured I could do it but didn't want to learn later on that was a bad idea. The receipt I have with the watch from Jan 19, 1989 actually says its "genuine lizard black band made in Italy-". Just wanted to make sure the band wasn't worth anything before I screwed something up like a new guy. I was thinking his prices where a little steep, I'll find out exactly what the $400 includes tomorrow.

image.jpeg
  6. DON Aug 13, 2016

Looking at the watch. Curious as to the movement. Lot of writing on the dial so assuming it's a chronometer model.

352 caliber. Gold plated crown. Cost seems a bit high back in '89, but thats retail. I was paying around $250 for Constellations off Ebay back then.

Your watchmakers prices seem odd. $550 for 3 register chronograph and $400 for a simple automatic. Chrono is 10x more complicated and that price seems fair if it's a genuine take completely apart cleaning and oiling

DON

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 13, 2016

For the band, Elmer's Glue All (yes, that's the kid stuff) will work well. Make sure to use pressure on the band when the glue is still wet to get the excess out.

If the repair fails, new bands like that should run you about $20 to $30.

The watchmaker cost seems very high to me.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

8. Thumpinhard25 Aug 13, 2016

Hi. Yes it's a chronograph and 18k gold, believe it's pre constellation, says 14311. I was thinking the same thing, seemed like there wasn't much to tha automatic but his vintage price was $400