Forums Latest Members
  1. Kreindog24 Apr 14, 2017

While on vacation with my family in Paris, I had an appointment with Etienne at Baltic Watches earlier this morning. Great guy with interesting vision. He's young, energetic, passionate and inspired by the past. His father's collection was an inspiration as he looks back to the 40s with this launch. Tried on the new watches of this French microbrand over coffee at their office. Watches are available on Kickstarter and priced under $500. They quadrupled their goal within 4 hours!! While all Early Bird specials are gone (super early birds were gone in minutes) if you order before May deadline you still save $170 Euros on the chronograph before they go full price this summer. Cool stuff. Also you can hear an interview with him on Worn and Wound podcast #6 as well as a Hodinkee write up yesterday.

While the black and cream dials have been the most popular according to Etienne, I was surprised at how warm the blue dial was in the sun. Also the grey dial with blue hands was tempting. Going to be hard to narrow this down. I'm definitely getting the black and gold three hander with the green perlon strap. As far as the chronograph, that's a tough decision! Anyway, here are some photos from my visit. Hope you enjoy!

IMG_2115.JPG IMG_2117.JPG IMG_2118.JPG IMG_2119.JPG IMG_2120.JPG IMG_2123.JPG IMG_2127.JPG IMG_2128.JPG IMG_2129.JPG IMG_2131.JPG IMG_2132.JPG IMG_2133.JPG IMG_2134.JPG

Edward53, GregH, Fialetti and 13 others like this.
  2. omg smstr Apr 14, 2017

3. sgtpry Apr 14, 2017

They probably know, that's why they use "bicompax" since there is no "bicompax" on UG's lineup
    If they use "uni-compax" that would copy UG's term

Anyway, at 38mm stepped case, 20mm lugs, 12mm height, I love it... truly vintage inspired, had to wake up 6.45 AM Central Time but managed to secure super early bird 399 EUR for the chronograph, will choose Cream.

I imagine it will look better with GF style rice bracelet

For me, best kickstarter watch to date :thumbsup:

Madjam1966 and Kreindog24 like this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 14, 2017

I like these ... same vibe as my Polerouter...

IMG_4560.JPG

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 14, 2017

But I do hope their design and performance is not reflected in their website. Cludgy is too kind a description.

Kreindog24 likes this.
  6. ICONO Apr 14, 2017

I am sorry, I have to disagree…I am afraid, I believe your rather dismissive superior attitude, puts off many younger watch enthususists, who actually need to be nurtured and encouraged, rather than arbitrarily dismissed

It is generally accepted that Bi-Compax is a more modern name for a chronograph with a pair of subdials

As a University Tutor in Creativity & Design, I like the refreshingly individual 'vintage' styling that is subtle & attractive, but also incorporating elements of simple minimalism……exactly the sort of watch I would buy for my 17yr old son to introduce him, to the pleasures of sophisticated understatement

Self evidently I like the collection, ( and the enthusiasm behind it ), a lot

Hnansen, blacktiger, Paedipod and 7 others like this.
  7. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Apr 14, 2017

I love the combination of the gray sunburst dial and the blue hands. Grails first, though, you enabler!!!!!

Kreindog24 likes this.
  8. Watch_n_Wrist Apr 14, 2017

The blue with gilt has had me from the start. I ordered mine but missed the super early bird price because of a log in glitch. That fast and they were gone. Looking forward to getting this one.

Kreindog24 likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 14, 2017

Interesting, but I'm not sold on the missing bezel bezel. Throws the proportions off. I like the colorways and dial designs though.

10. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Apr 14, 2017

I agree, without the bezel the subdials look awkward.

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. slique12 Apr 14, 2017

I really liked the design before I read this, but now, I can't see the watch without also thinking about the missing bezel.

Kreindog24, Foo2rama and Jwit like this.
  12. ock2915 Apr 15, 2017

Love them , of course bought mine

Kreindog24 likes this.
  13. Kreindog24 Apr 15, 2017

Funny thing about the chronograph. I walked into the appointment really not "sold" on the chronograph. It seems to be the watch featured in every write-up but I was more drawn to the 3 hander. I've been in sales for over 20 years and I have been a sales manager for over 15 so I anticipated there being an aspect of a sales pitch involved. I just wondered how strong it would be.

What I found so refreshing about Etienne is that he laid out all the watches and just let me try them on. By allowing me to interact with them, wear them around, take them outside, I really appreciated that he let his product speak for itself. And let me tell you it did. It is a well constructed watch with a nice weight. I didn't miss the bezel and really liked the way it wore. I found myself "playing" with the chronographs the most. The watches are a great value and I told him he has vastly underpriced them.

Lastly there's nothing more pleasurable than just hanging out and talking watches with someone. I brought a watch roll of my own vintage watches and we mostly talked about his father's collection, 40's style, perlon straps, Baselworld, 60s dive watches and his appreciation for Longines. I really feel fortunate to have had the chance to interact with this product and wish you all could have as well.

14. Kreindog24 Apr 15, 2017

You are going to LOVE the blue. In the sunshine it carries a very deep, warm feel. Very attractive! I may go blue on my Chronograph as well!

Watch_n_Wrist likes this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 15, 2017

Paris and watches. Magic. I've bought two in that fair city.

Kreindog24 likes this.
  16. jaspert Apr 15, 2017

A lot to like, especially the step case, dome crystal and size.
    I would love to have a tachymeter scale on the dial like this gorgeous Longines 4974.
    But it is a very nice looking vintage inspired design and i don't see it as missing a bezel.

Looking forward to getting the chrono in a few months. Still deciding between the black or dark blue dial

5535__x_phillips_034_result.jpg

Edited Apr 15, 2017
    Modest_Proposal and Kreindog24 like this.
  17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 15, 2017

The step works on this one I'm not sure if it's the inset crystal or the proportions.

Kreindog24 and jaspert like this.
  18. Madjam1966 Sep 10, 2017

Resurrecting an old thread here ...did anyone else back this campaign?

Kreindog24 likes this.
  19. Greatpa Sep 10, 2017

I was close to doing so, but honestly I would rather gather some more funds for a big boat :thumbsup:
    If I was buying every watch I liked between 1-600€ I would be owning A LOT of watches.. :whistling:
    No offense to anybody that does ::screwloose::

Madjam1966 likes this.