Forums Latest Members

Baking soda and superglue - the wonder stuff - Top tip

1. Omegafanman Apr 13, 2019

Was everyone else aware of this and I am just late to the party?
    I came across this trick a couple of weeks back. When mixed is sets like instantly / strong like concrete and sticks like sh-t to blankets. I have been fixing ceramics, plastics and some cheap metal parts which have been bugging me. It files down easily, you can paint on it and it seems hard / durable enough. If the object is white it blends in anyway. I don't see myself using it much on the watch front but for general DIY is has worked wonders on small parts and chips/cracks etc....

Edited Apr 13, 2019
  2. Tubber Apr 13, 2019

It's been used on bike panels and fairings for years as a cheap fix. Still a good tip.

Omegafanman likes this.
  3. starcraft Apr 13, 2019

It's like an expensive version of bog and putty you use for car panels. Sets hard, lightweight and can be sanded down easily.

4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 13, 2019

I learn something new everyday :thumbsup:

Omegafanman likes this.
  5. 77deluxe Apr 13, 2019

Can that actually hold for extended periods of time?

Omegafanman likes this.
  6. Omegafanman Apr 13, 2019

I am a newbie on this but so far so good. My gut feel based on how it looks / when I file it down is yes. Maybe if the material was flexing too much in use it might drop out. Also I have only used it on small jobs plus I tend to put a good amount of glue on first and then sprinkle the soda on. You can build layers that way. I think in the video he added the glue as stage 2. I would try it on a test item first / see what works for you.

Edited Apr 13, 2019
  7. Professor Apr 14, 2019

I've used talcum powder mixed with automotive touch up paint to fill in gravel nicks on a car.
    This super glue method looks to be pretty useful.

Omegafanman likes this.